Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-03-2014, 22:59   #1441

Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
This thread is a good one to refer back to just in case I get the stupid idea of sharing a passage, in real time, on this forum.

Could you just imagine having a few web cams set up around the boat and a thread connecting them. Crikey, you couldnt even have a crap in the morning without some lame-brain telling you ya gunna die because its not a Wilcox and Crittenden.... And the toilet papers all wrong.
If you want to kill off any web cam viewing from posters here, just strut around Sea Life tackle out
Old 21-03-2014, 00:13   #1442

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

[QUOTE=boatman61;1495523]Okay... don't want to piss on any ones parade here.. and I do appreciate Atoll's concerns and actions.. given the lack of hard info as to my situation...
The ship was aware there was no danger to the boat or myself and crew and I was able to make way unassisted.. the aim was to alert vessels as to the fact an unlit boat was in the area and.. should any small vessel in the area be able to provide a jump start.. conditions permitting.. it would be appreciated..
The only concern was water which the 'Praia' resolved for me..
However my plan was to sail for the SW corner of Horta on the SE'ly and when 5 miles off shore lay over on the opposite tack with backed headsail and go to bed.. then start into port in the morning from the S on the better tack and more favourable wind direction.. all JP did was get me in 12hrs or so earlier than I would have.. Horta is a port I've had to enter without an engine a couple of times in the past and its an easy entry.
However I'm now starting to get pissed off with the guy constantly in my face for more work... when a guy who did a tow I did not need or ask for knocks on my hull and says he feels I owe him something it f*^king annoys me big time..
The facts are I was making 4.5 knots when he showed.. the 1st thing he did was to ding my starboard hull... something a damn great container ship failed to do on the 15th.. he's screwing the owner for near 50% of what I'm getting for the delivery for a daysail and he feels I owe him something.. the guy needs to crawl back out of his frickin ass..
As for help.. I know Horta well and got a big grin and.. 'Hey.. your back..' when I wandered into Mid-Atlantic and Peters yesterday.. I speak the language and even have friends who live here.. I am not a 'once in a lifetime' passer through..
The Spot has 2 message systems that have chosen numbers for emergencies etc.. one is a kind of Pan Pan.. in trouble but nothing serious.. and the other a full blown Mayday which kicks the Services into action..
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="3">The owners number was one and a good friends number was my other chosen contact so all I needed to do was hit a button if in trouble... which I was not.. inconvenienced yes... trouble no.. once I got the water..

Boaty, well done mate, you're safe and the boat is too. I have read a few of the posts here .. the good guys are here for you so just ignore the twats sitting in their armchairs. I haven't been on CF for a good while and we are sitting in Turks and Caicos (having sailed from Fort Pierce, Florida we were there when you left Lauderdale). We had been in Fort Lauderdale during the Christmas period.

Right now preparing for our crossing to Horta. Hope all ends well. The owner can rest assured that the boat is in good hands. As usual Atoll was a great support and it seems Salty Monkey too (and I am sure many others). If you hang around Horta long enough we might even catch up with you lol (or will the nepotism there make sure you provide work for the entire Island immediately haha).
Old 21-03-2014, 01:14   #1443

Brad,
Look into a CPT for backup. I have one and two friends used them for circumnavigating. Capricorn Cat used the CPT for his primary and sailed all over the South Pacific.
Old 21-03-2014, 01:26   #1444

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Brad,
Look into a CPT for backup. I have one and two friends used them for circumnavigating. Capricorn Cat used the CPT for his primary and sailed all over the South Pacific.

CPT?

Among other things, google gave me Christian Peacemaker Teams??
Old 21-03-2014, 01:38   #1445

You're getting a laugh at my expense. CPT wheel pilot. Good unit,been around for ever.
Old 21-03-2014, 01:43   #1446

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
You're getting a laugh at my expense. CPT wheel pilot. Good unit,been around for ever.

The Christian Peacemaker Team could man the helm for you. Although you would need to feed them and the conversations with the CPT might not be to everyone's liking 😝
Old 21-03-2014, 05:59   #1447

Glad you're safe and sound Boats. But, boys and girls I think it's time to put this thread to bed.
Old 21-03-2014, 06:16   #1448
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Saltymonkey, to you chartplotters (and back-ups including paper charts), autopilots (and potential back-ups), watermakers (and sufficient tankage for a back-up), SSB radios and sat phones and, if the unthinkable occurs, Gpirbs may seem like 'gizmo toys' and that's fine. Unlike you, I am not adverse to technology. However, as I said, I also realize that in order to rely upon it you must also have redundancy including more simple technology available.

And Robert, I am familiar with CPT and their reputation. My thought has been to see, when the time comes, whether I can get a Raymarine wheel pilot that will function with my existing rudder position indicator, which would make substitution much easier if it broke-down underway. Otherwise, as I said, I may just buy another Raymarine below deck system which would allow virtual plug and play repairs of any component that failed.

Brad
Old 21-03-2014, 06:28   #1449
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
@southernstar my god,i'm scared to death of all those gizmo toys you have ss. Its like being in a house of mirrors with a bunch of screaming katts and klowns. SaltyMonkey would be glued to the electronics all the time instead of noticing the outside GPS's that hangs naturally in the sky. Gearbots everywhere u know?
That's precisely the reason we don't employ Monkey at Mission Control... The pressure would be overwhelming!!! Could you imagine the hand wringing anxiety when the first Monkey relative was screaming around in earth orbit in the Mercury capsule???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Right now preparing for our crossing to Horta. Hope all ends well. The owner can rest assured that the boat is in good hands. As usual Atoll was a great support and it seems Salty Monkey too (and I am sure many others). If you hang around Horta long enough we might even catch up with you lol (or will the nepotism there make sure you provide work for the entire Island immediately haha).
On a positive note... You have a brand new rudder for the trip!

Good luck... Have fun... and CHECK IN... (once in a while...)

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 21-03-2014, 06:29   #1450

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
The Christian Peacemaker Team could man the helm for you. Although you would need to feed them and the conversations with the CPT might not be to everyone's liking 😝
That's what the second refrigerator is for, although when the SHTF is pretty much the only time ya want fervent Christians aboard anyway. At least on my nutshell.

Geez Louise, just reading Southern Star's inventory post tired me out. The list did seem to omit the designated sunbathing area one of our readers thought vital on another thread. And Mark still using toilet paper surprised me. How passé. There's an app for that now.
Old 21-03-2014, 06:31   #1451
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
That's precisely the reason we don't employ Monkey at Mission Control... The pressure would be overwhelming!!! Could you imagine the hand wringing anxiety when the first Monkey relative was screaming around in earth orbit in the Mercury capsule???
John Glenn was a national hero and a good uncle.
Old 21-03-2014, 06:38   #1452
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
John Glenn was a national hero and a good uncle.
Indeed !!!!

He seems very relaxed and professional here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ham the space monkey.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	77884  

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 21-03-2014, 06:50   #1453
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Indeed !!!!

He seems very relaxed and professional here...
is that a picture of salty monkey in nappies

or is it bondage gear?
Old 21-03-2014, 06:56   #1454
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Saltymonkey, to you chartplotters (and back-ups including paper charts), autopilots (and potential back-ups), watermakers (and sufficient tankage for a back-up), SSB radios and sat phones and, if the unthinkable occurs, Gpirbs may seem like 'gizmo toys' and that's fine. Unlike you, I am not adverse to technology. However, as I said, I also realize that in order to rely upon it you must also have redundancy including more simple technology available.
I'm in Tech$ and a Am. Ex HAM. Yet...

The use of technology for comm, navigation and weather forecasting diminishes brain cells, your nautical skills, and your capacity for reasoning and observation of the world around you. It makes you more dependent and less independent.

Technology should be the backup or confirmation training tool, not the other way. Your brain has infinite technology and its FREE. Why not use it?

How many turn off your cockpit stereos, come out of your boat caves and really listen and observe what is around you? How many consistently practice emergency navigation skills (which include the stars) and are able to read the waves and sky for weather? I'd say, hardly anyone.
Old 21-03-2014, 08:01   #1455
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Atlantic Delivery

Purpose of the Thread...??
Well for one it was a Spot3 test for those looking for a cheap solution to family/friends tracking your progress and also whether it would cover the whole crossing.. seems it did..
Lessons to be learnt.. don't hit the panic button back home if things seems different from the previous days/weeks progress.. light winds/calms/low fuel etc all compound for an erratic progress.. it is a sailboat after all..
The Spot has 2 panic buttons.. one is a form of Pan Pan for F&F that your having problems but no real danger or risk to life or the vessel.. the other is a full blown Mayday that's alerts the rescue services WW with position and sets the ball rolling for salvation.
Neither in my opinion is to be hit lightly.. though level of light may vary from skipper to skipper..
As for the folk talking boat condition for delivery skippers.. invariably every owner thinks their boat is up to it.. hell.. they go sailing up and down the coast in it so it must be.. and usually they are adequate for the task.. also.. some of us skippers demand a life raft.. some are happy with a decent inflatable..
I carry my own Nav gear which I trust so the boat equipment never gets turned on..
All I require is a sound hull, reasonable rigging and sails.. an engine to get in and out of ports.. but not essential.. an energy supply, a dry bunk and a decent cooker.. Oh.. and the dinghy... I can wing the rest..
Some will ask for more.. others will demand it..
Its all good fun and lets face it.. even space age up to date tech's can have you beaching on an island if your not concentrating
My opinion of the 440..??
Decent enough boat for a 'Condi..'
The bridge deck sucks tho' and the layout is definitely not set up for shorthanded sailing.. the helm position is secure enough but getting to and from is a tad hazardous in a bouncy seaway..
I would have thought they'd be better off with a set up similar to the 380.. and move the helm to the centre behind the bulkhead dividing the door from the windows.. and eliminate one window.
Good view of both bows.. lines led to winches set closer to the helm so all can be controlled from there..
I mean.. the veranda's big enough to place the helm and steps and still provide adequate seating for 8 or more.. with a touch of thought.. and still have the sundeck up top..
That would enable lowering the boom to a more workable height and give anyone on deck working it in a blow a lot more security.
In general.. the topside sucks big time.. great for posing round the marina's and island hopping but.. an ocean passage boat..
She sails well enough.. once you get used to 'Slip Slidin' Away...' and learn to compensate course steered and COG in your planning which can vary from 10 degrees to 30 degrees depending on the wind angle... has it had me worried at any stage on the crossing..?
NO.. just well exercised tacking as I run from one side to the other.. and cursing bruised shins from that step on the port side you have to jump over to get to the port winch..
Would I buy one..? NO (can't afford one)
Would I advise anyone not to... NO
It can even be single handed.. which is basically what I did.. a 5ft x 45kilo 65yr old is not much more than a watchkeeper to cover me while I sleep... sorry guys.. no bikini clad beauties..
I'm not their type..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Closed Thread

Tags
delivery