Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-03-2014, 19:45   #1321

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Fail to Plan....Plan to Fail comes to mind......

so why would he turn down a job because the boat wasn't proof tested????????
SAFETY.....?????
A bit harsh, Wolfy?? Its ok for you sitting in the sun in Trini on a 70-odd footer.

I started a thread a couple of years ago about a delivery from Seychelles to Brisbane; being a luddite I didn't connect spot to cf (still don't know how to do it!) and now, I'm rather glad that the technology escaped me (not that it would have done much good as the coverage in the Indian Ocean is "spotty" to say the least).

Anyway - that delivery went extremely pear-shaped (mast decided to fall down apart from other things) and we had to divert to Singapore to effect repairs. Even after repairs, all the systems broke down again and we had a heck of a job getting it to Australia. I'm a bit jealous of boatie - he got 80 odd pages so far, I don't think I got more than 30!! Mind you, they were all extremely supportive!

Lots of things happen out there and you do the best you can....

I'm bringing a catamaran from France to New York in a week's time - Nothing going for me if I take a Northerly track, a huge added distance if I drop down to the Trades and silly weather if I take a middling route...so the things going through my mind are ...confusing!! I just wish the airlines would allow me to take more tools ... Tony
Old 18-03-2014, 19:53   #1322
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

It was a mistake for Boatman to leave on a Transatlantic delivery in February with a boat that wasn't totally prepared. And it was also a mistake to not have more than one other person on board. More time needed to be spent (4 days ?) before setting off from Florida in order to prepare the boat. Maybe the water contamination would have been found then.

The owner made a mistake in not having all the systems repaired before Boatman set off. He just bought the boat and almost guaranteed he had a survey. Were any of the items discovered in that survey repaired and any of the systems maintained before departure? He probably wanted to get the boat out of the States and to the EU to effect the repairs. Obviously he knew about the alternators.

Without a doubt Phil knows what he is doing on deliveries. But, if both motors where inoperable, your electrical systems down, your main sail unusable, water contaminated, crew exhausted, and a North Atlantic gale hits - your fubar'ed.

Quite frankly, I'm glad the Port Authority is mandating that the boat be inspected before leaving. They should. Neither Phil or the owner should even think about completing the final stage of this crossing unless the boat is in proper working order. Jury rigging is not what you do before your leaving. Both these guys have a responsibility to each other, the boat, and most importantly the crew to insure everything is in order before leaving.

Proper planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance

Ever Vigilant
Old 18-03-2014, 20:02   #1323
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
A bit harsh, Wolfy?? Its ok for you sitting in the sun in Trini on a 70-odd footer.

I started a thread a couple of years ago about a delivery from Seychelles to Brisbane; being a luddite I didn't connect spot to cf (still don't know how to do it!) and now, I'm rather glad that the technology escaped me (not that it would have done much good as the coverage in the Indian Ocean is "spotty" to say the least).

Anyway - that delivery went extremely pear-shaped (mast decided to fall down apart from other things) and we had to divert to Singapore to effect repairs. Even after repairs, all the systems broke down again and we had a heck of a job getting it to Australia. I'm a bit jealous of boatie - he got 80 odd pages so far, I don't think I got more than 30!! Mind you, they were all extremely supportive!

I'm bringing a catamaran from France to New York in a week's time - Nothing going for me if I take a Northerly track, a huge added distance if I drop down to the Trades and silly weather if I take a middling route...so the things going through my mind are ...confusing!! I just wish the airlines would allow me to take more tools ... Tony
they have tools in france as well!,try "briconfort",or "carrefour" for less than a hundred euro you can get enough reasonable quality tools to rebuild a 4x4,!

jet stream is far north at the moment,so the easterlies are good to about 28 north across the pond,from europe once past finnisterre you have a good chance of northerlies,and at the other end you will be on home territory,coming into summer to ride the gulf stream to NY.
with0.5- 1 knot of current with you till you hit the gulf stream and really take off
Old 18-03-2014, 20:29   #1324
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Palarran, the major problem was the generator and the "illusion" of the solar panels. You want him to shake down a cruise to BVI and then head out? Dream on.

The water issue could have happened anyway. Wasn't clear when he noticed or why he couldn't boil.

Boaty, took the weather window while he had it. I remember it and I agree with it.
Old 18-03-2014, 20:37   #1325

There's no "illusion" with power Monkey! The problem wasn't just with the generator, it was with the alternators also. And it was with the batteries because there's no way they should all drain together. There should have been one battery at least dedicated to the generator and one to one of the motors in addition to the house bank.

And no, the water issue should not have happened at all. If your not positive of your tanks they by God you better bring enough bottled for 60 days.

And taking a weather window? Come on, the window's open every day in South Florida. It made no difference 3 days after he left and wouldn't have been affected if he left 3 days later.
Old 18-03-2014, 20:42   #1326

I missed your comment about the shakedown cruise but yes, I absolutely think he should have - like maybe to the Bahamas. Or even around the harbor or up the coast. Now, maybe the problems that developed wouldn't have become apparent in that amount of time, but to suggest that no shakedown was warranted or needed is naïve.
Old 18-03-2014, 21:15   #1327
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Folks are now quick to tell how it could have been done better. Hindsight is such a gift to the judgemental it seems. Me, I'm just happy that they are safe.

Coops.
Old 18-03-2014, 21:19   #1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Folks are now quick to tell how it could have been done better. Hindsight is such a gift to the judgemental it seems. Me, I'm just happy that they are safe.

Coops.
Indeed ... on a scale where the degree of difficulty of delivering boats is around 10,

the degree of difficulty of telling others how they should have done it rates somewhere around 0.
Old 18-03-2014, 21:22   #1329
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

Coops.
ditto,but i definitly would have taken more lovely ladies to look after me
Old 18-03-2014, 21:25   #1330

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I would've just put the rope in my teeth and jumped in. I would tow that big bad cat all the way to Spain doing the breaststroke just like Charles Atlas.

Well, I would have done it if I knew how to do the breaststroke
or swim
and if the water was warm,
and if the rope didn't chafe too much. I hate chafe don't you?

Old 18-03-2014, 21:27   #1331
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
And taking a weather window? Come on, the window's open every day in South Florida. It made no difference 3 days after he left and wouldn't have been affected if he left 3 days later.
We're not talking about immediate local weather and your mythological 3 day GRIB fantasy. We're talking about the trail of winter storms from the west coast, forecast through the east, and their "relative" path into the Atlantic, and indeed the timing which as it was, proved absolutely correct, spot on. How do I know? Because I tracked it for 10 days while glued to this thread.
Old 18-03-2014, 21:28   #1332
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Yes, I cannot tell the wheat from it. Yes, I know it is spelt different but I don't care.

Wait your turn Salty I was answering Crabby.

Coops.
Old 18-03-2014, 21:30   #1333
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
but to suggest that no shakedown was warranted or needed is naïve.
Palarran, take some advice. Stay in Greece, a place where pretentious bankruptcy has equal value.

Old 18-03-2014, 21:41   #1334

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post

I remember reading that delivery saga - suggest you post a link. IIRC it started when you found a half submerged boat on arrival in Seychelles, and then went downhill from there. Much kudos to you for seeing that one out!
Old 18-03-2014, 21:53   #1335

Quote:
Folks are now quick to tell how it could have been done better. Hindsight is such a gift to the judgmental it seems. Me, I'm just happy that they are safe.

Coops.
Have to agree, but want to raise a broader issue.

I think Owners have a duty of care towards delivery skippers. If all the owner said was 'the alternators are a bit dubious' then I think that falls short. If he didn't know the condition because he had just bought and the Survey was short on detail then its a bit scary. But seems to me that's when most delivery skippers are hired. Methinks you guys are underpaid for the risks......
Closed Thread

Tags
delivery