Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-03-2014, 18:58   #886
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm... it is a tough one.
Part of me says act before you need to - think reefing - so go tomorrow.
Part of me says wait as all things change, often (but not always) for the better.
Sitting, watching and head banging is not an option .

I know you know all this already but here it is from my mouth .

Look at the evidence:

Something is wrong (by way of spot positions) and we have the secutrie message to confirm it directly from Phil's mouth. Whatever is causing the problem will not be resolved on-board or Phil would have had it sorted by now.

There is no immediate danger.

Phil is making very slow progress in the right direction currently.

Why is progress slow, presumably both engine and sails are an issue or can the slow sail progress be completely explained by lack of wind. I haven't kept up with the minute detail of the weather patterns but I understand his progress was slow even when there was reasonable forecast wind.

If there is sufficient suspicion that he has a issue that prevents a reasonable speed (>4 kts) with say 10 kts or more of wind, then I suggest "go early" as
whatever the issue is, it will only be compounded once the weather returns (or even if the calms continue).

However, if you can be sure that the only reason for the slow sailing is complete lack of wind, I suggest you wait.

On the balance, I am 60+% to go early and 40-% to wait a few days.

Even if going early, the show can be called off if new information comes to hand.

Sort of right; especially as the owner is footing the bill however I suspect the owner will be taking local (and Atoll's) advice. By way of CF, Atoll's advice is also tempered by the CF advice.

Is there a reasonable cost option of a flyby before launching a flown tow? As suggested by AKMark earlier.
not sure of a fly by option but will enquire tomorrow,though it might involve the authorities on such a small island,and could involve a large bill as well if not life and death.

WX is good through to thursday with favorable winds even if light.

also by monday there is a possibility that we may be able to get him on his cell phone,as was the plan when i first contacted JP

if it was me in the situation and had to sail in i guess i would plan on getting myself to the harbour enterance,then us my cell phone to call for a tow in,assuming that not all my saiils are in tatters.

his slow speed could be attributed to him using his only sail left,his storm jib,though will have to check with the owner on that one.
Old 15-03-2014, 19:14   #887

Boat: Morgan 384, 38 ft

It seems the population is big enough there that someone would have a small airplane that could be chartered. Then for a few hundred $, you could have an answer in an hour instead of worrying for days. If I was the owner, I reckon I'd pay that. I'll bet JP would know if someone charters. Maybe they would even have a float plane, which would be totally awesome and feasible in such light conditions.
Old 15-03-2014, 19:28   #888
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

out of my hands now,just recieved this from JP
so its a go leaving horta at 6am with the owners blessing.

Sent: Sunday, 16 March 2014, 1:48
Subject: Re: catamaran "bonne etoille" arriving in horta.

Alex , the owner wants me to go so I go , I took 450 l of feul involved 2
crews and have food for a week and as you now the weather can change very
quiqly here in the nord atlantic .

cheers JP
Old 15-03-2014, 19:28   #889

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
not sure of a fly by option but will enquire tomorrow,though it might involve the authorities on such a small island,and could involve a large bill as well if not life and death.

WX is good through to thursday with favorable winds even if light.

also by monday there is a possibility that we may be able to get him on his cell phone,as was the plan when i first contacted JP

if it was me in the situation and had to sail in i guess i would plan on getting myself to the harbour enterance,then us my cell phone to call for a tow in,assuming that not all my saiils are in tatters.

his slow speed could be attributed to him using his only sail left,his storm jib,though will have to check with the owner on that one.

This is certainly a group that looks after their own.

High marks
Old 15-03-2014, 19:33   #890
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
This is certainly a group that looks after their own.

High marks
nice having an understanding owner as well,the guys are leaving tomorrow morning.

god willing beer and fags for phil by tommorow evening,and getting in monday morning,just got sent this.

Sent: Sunday, 16 March 2014, 1:48
Subject: Re: catamaran "bonne etoille" arriving in horta.

Alex , the owner wants me to go so I go , I took 450 l of feul involved 2
crews and have food for a week and as you now the weather can change very
quiqly here in the nord atlantic .

cheers JP
Old 15-03-2014, 19:41   #891
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

well now this will be really interesting!

Old 15-03-2014, 19:52   #892

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Again, well done Atoll. From my armchair, I appreciate your gestures. You have passed on information to the "decision" makers in this matter and thats all you can do. I, as a human being, assume the owners made their decision based on safety for crew and not some dollar amount. As has been said before, even when this thread began, the weather and sea have no mercy and weather forecasting can be deceiving at best. Better safe than sorry.
Old 15-03-2014, 19:56   #893
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post

tis a bit of a relief actually having that "to go or not to go" decision taken out of my hands!

though at the end of the day if i had a $500,000 dollar boat in difficulties,only 70 miles away from help and the cash to make things happen,it is a "no brainer"

and phil when you read this ,10 out of 10 for getting within spitting distance of horta without help we all have your best interests at heart,and i'm 100% sure you could have got in under your own steam regardless.......and still might have to if they have problems finding you tomorrow!
Old 15-03-2014, 19:56   #894

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Please, I mean no offense, but I'm concerned that we are overreacting to our own ideas of how to "make it right", and we want to know now everything's going to be okay. One can really feel the momentum on the thread.

For what it's worth, Atoll, I say wait. You have good wx till Thursday. All the ducks are lined up for assistance. I think (suppose maybe a better word?) he's just doing his best, with only small sail, to keep that heavy cat moving. He has been slowly grinding down the miles. Who, at this point, would deprive him of the opportunity to bring it in on its own bottom?

It is only one possibility, but it could bring him a sense of compensatory competence, if he feels now that what happened to the boat is his "fault"[it happened while he was skippering]. Remember, it's his lifetime job to take as good care as possible of the ship and crew. I felt guilty when we were dismasted, like i had failed the boat; and I still remember how important it was to bring her in ourselves, even though damaged.

Remember from the original notice to mariners, the Portuguese word "varias" was used to describe the situation with the motor. "Varias" means a lot of things, but it does not mean totally broken down, it means more like unreliable, if my translation via Google is right.

Suppose, as suggested above, he's been wrenching, and comes the time, will be able to motor 5 min or so and get into the marina on his own. Another landing he shall have walked away from, I mean, a good one.

The closer to the island he gets, the more traffic there will be, a possible blessing, or curse, when you think of them out there unlit. However whoever's out there will be on the lookout for him, if they pay attention to the Securites.

Atoll, I get the feeling you'd like to put the brakes on. Just sit tight till Tuesday or Wednesday, as the weather develops. And he may be in by then!
He may catch a favorable windshift, and be back to being able to use the set to help him, as he gets closer.

Salty's right again. It IS a time for patience. Patience is just in short supply right now on my boat.

Ann
Old 15-03-2014, 19:59   #895

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
tis a bit of a relief actually having that "to go or not to go" decision taken out of my hands!

though at the end of the day if i had a $500,000 dollar boat in difficulties,only 70 miles away from help and the cash to make things happen,it is a "no brainer"
Atoll, well done on getting hold of the owner. And in picking up the issues quickly.

Always going to be owner's decision on when/if to go - his boat, his money and potentially a crew at risk if weather turns bad too soon. A good outcome that the tow is heading out.

Sure boatie is very capable, but he is also pragmatic. I cant see him being too proud for a tow when the owner asked for it. If I was paying for a delivery those qualities are what I would want in the skipper.
Old 15-03-2014, 20:00   #896

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post

Glued to the thread for sure. A quote from Pulp Fiction comes to mind, Vhing Rhames talking to Bruce Willis
Old 15-03-2014, 20:01   #897

Not Atolls decision, Ann, nor should it be, I reckon.

ON EDIT Also - if you scan back through the thread, I think there was also an English language Notice to Mariners issued, so no need (perhaps) to try to decode the Portuguese ...

ON FURTHER EDIT
It's also clear that Atoll's and Ann's latest posts arrived simultaneously
Old 15-03-2014, 20:07   #898
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Ann, Atoll has done all he can and it is now out of his hands. Easy for us to say do this or do that, but he is the one agonising over what is the right thing to do for his mate. I do not think that he has made any decision in haste and without a lot of thought and no doubt sleepless nights.

He deserves nothing but admiration and respect for his efforts and I only hope that somebody would do the same for me should the occasion arise.

EDIT. Apologies Ann, as Andrew said they both arrived at once and I did not notice.

Coops.
Old 15-03-2014, 20:13   #899

Well said Coops. Boatie is polarizing even when not active in the discussion!!
Old 15-03-2014, 20:17   #900
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

It will take him a few days to read all this thread. He will get some laughs and some hand wringing no doubt from it. Plus, maybe a tinge of embarrassment about some of the compliments that he has received.

He probably will never tell us again when his next delivery is.

Coops.

Tags
delivery