Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-03-2014, 17:03   #871

Boat: currently a power boat :(
Re: Atlantic Delivery

1 vote for sending the cigs and beer, oh and fuel/tow if needed. Disclaimer, I would view the support as intended and wouldn't be upset in the slightest.

Atoll, roles reversed, would you want Boatie to do the same for you?
Old 15-03-2014, 17:04   #872

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwdrskr View Post
This is incredible. I have learned so much here following Boatman's journey with all of the experienced, well wishers and noobs all giving valuable information and heartfelt concern.

@Boatman...You are you're own entity and you are now famous(if ya weren't already), please don't let it go to your head, but I'd bow down to ya if I could.

@SaltyMonkey.....Love the poems; I about fell out of my boat on the last one!

@Atoll....Good call.

@Wotname...Without saying, you have done great things for Boatman and you will always get my golf clap.

It took me over an hour to catch up on things here and I am overjoyed with a damn good feeling in me instilled by all of you. I must say this is a viral thread and it should be edited down to all the pertinent knowledge, links, opinions, guesses, bets and forcasts as there is some classic stuff here.

Go Boatman, go.....git yourself RIPPED, but take a shower(with soap)...hehehehehe!

Epic....

Markus

I too have learned so much. What a wonderful community we have here as shown by pwdrskr!

Go Boatie! We are anxiously awaiting your safe arrival.

Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 15-03-2014, 17:16   #873

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skye View Post

No one can say what Boatie wants but Boatie -- but great question to Atoll. I would like to think his assistance is based on what he would consider in a similar circumstance. Atoll has still left the option open to Boatie to make the final call.

For all we know Boatie may really appreciate the cigs, beer and latest weather info, but continue on under his own steam. Whatever his decision, I believe it will be based on what is best for the boat and the owner.

All my prayers are with you Boatman61!

Robyn

P.S. This really is an epic thread!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 15-03-2014, 17:24   #874
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skye View Post
1 vote for sending the cigs and beer, oh and fuel/tow if needed. Disclaimer, I would view the support as intended and wouldn't be upset in the slightest.

at the moment every thing is in place,but i am inclined to put a hold on things for 36 hours,so as not to incurr unessacary expense.

the winds are southerly and light,and he is in no danger,and heading in the right direction. even though slowly.

the owner has given his go ahead but might wince a bit if he gets a big bill!
plus phil is likely to refuse a tow untill within spitting distance.
Old 15-03-2014, 17:32   #875
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
at the moment every thing is in place,but i am inclined to put a hold on things for 36 hours,so as not to incurr unessacary expense.

the winds are southerly and light,and he is in no danger,and heading in the right direction. even though slowly.

68 miles to go on the pond 68 miles to go…
from 3 hours ago

ps i could shoot my pee farther than that!
Old 15-03-2014, 17:33   #876

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:

question is do we go tommorow,or let him sit another 36-48 hours till closer then assist,or just sit and watch

advice please!

Although this situation is very different, rushing to a woman's aid because there are moans coming from her room comes to mind.

I am an amateur animal behaviorist and err on the side of caution when it come to others territory or space.

Not timid but well aware of the "It mine world."
Old 15-03-2014, 17:35   #877

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Quote:

There is your answer. With your experience and knowing Phil, your judgement is better than any of us can provide. Either way, I am sure most will agree that it's great to know that you have been on top of the situation
Old 15-03-2014, 17:38   #878
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
question is do we go tommorow,or let him sit another 36-48 hours till closer then assist,or just sit and watch

advice please!
I think the decision was made once you explained the situation to the owner. It's his vessel and his call now.

Don't 2nd guess yourself. Your instincts are good.
Old 15-03-2014, 17:46   #879
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondor View Post
Anyone notice the last two SPOT reports? Looks like Boaty (thanks to likely tow in place) is headed in exactly the right direction and at the exact expected speed to land at Horta! WoooooooT!

(Palaran - you beat me by two minutes, but our hypothesis is different. Will look forward to the outcome too!)

Another mystery. Horta Airport says the wind is 7 mph from the ENE which makes it dead on his nose.

I need a drink
Old 15-03-2014, 17:54   #880
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

atoll - did right thing. you had info, and resources, gave to owner AND phil. 36+ hours good too.
Old 15-03-2014, 18:02   #881
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Another mystery. Horta Airport says the wind is 7 mph from the ENE which makes it dead on his nose.

I need a drink
the islands are so big the wind tends to blow arownd them,
pico in front of horta is massive.

i have put things on hold for 36 hours,untill he is approaching horta channel,when phil will probably NEED a tow to negotiate the calms and tidal stream in the approaches between faial island and pico.

it will also make it a lot easier to find him as he approaches the channel between the islands.

weather not changing much till thursday
Old 15-03-2014, 18:12   #882
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
now that is the $1000 dollar question,perhaps a vote is in order.

currently he is making just over 1 knot in the right direction,leaving him 70 hours sailing.

the weather is calm for the next 72 hours so no danger there,apart from having no nav lights and tidal currents once he approches horta

JP has the owners permission to provide assistance,or fuel but will envolve a fee,and boatys pride.

JP intends leaving 6am tomorrow so as to find "bonne etoile" during daylight hours.

JP has a sattelite phone so i can give him the updated position whilst underway.

advice please!
Hmm... it is a tough one.
Part of me says act before you need to - think reefing - so go tomorrow.
Part of me says wait as all things change, often (but not always) for the better.
Sitting, watching and head banging is not an option .

I know you know all this already but here it is from my mouth .

Look at the evidence:

Something is wrong (by way of spot positions) and we have the secutrie message to confirm it directly from Phil's mouth. Whatever is causing the problem will not be resolved on-board or Phil would have had it sorted by now.

There is no immediate danger.

Phil is making very slow progress in the right direction currently.

Why is progress slow, presumably both engine and sails are an issue or can the slow sail progress be completely explained by lack of wind. I haven't kept up with the minute detail of the weather patterns but I understand his progress was slow even when there was reasonable forecast wind.

If there is sufficient suspicion that he has a issue that prevents a reasonable speed (>4 kts) with say 10 kts or more of wind, then I suggest "go early" as
whatever the issue is, it will only be compounded once the weather returns (or even if the calms continue).

However, if you can be sure that the only reason for the slow sailing is complete lack of wind, I suggest you wait.

On the balance, I am 60+% to go early and 40-% to wait a few days.

Even if going early, the show can be called off if new information comes to hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I think the decision was made once you explained the situation to the owner. It's his vessel and his call now.

Don't 2nd guess yourself. Your instincts are good.
Sort of right; especially as the owner is footing the bill however I suspect the owner will be taking local (and Atoll's) advice. By way of CF, Atoll's advice is also tempered by the CF advice.

Is there a reasonable cost option of a flyby before launching a flown tow? As suggested by AKMark earlier.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 15-03-2014, 18:29   #883
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
the islands are so big the wind tends to blow arownd them,
pico in front of horta is massive.

i have put things on hold for 36 hours,untill he is approaching horta channel,when phil will probably NEED a tow to negotiate the calms and tidal stream in the approaches between faial island and pico.

it will also make it a lot easier to find him as he approaches the channel between the islands.

weather not changing much till thursday
Fair enough, let him sit and wait and thus be truly appreciative of a tow

Looking for he good news here.
1 weather light
2 reasonable position reports continue to be received thus confirming spot operation
3 No reason to suspect immediate threats to Phil's safety
4 Reasonable assistance plan in place
5 Sufficient assets locally to effect assistance

The only rider IMO, is to keep a sharp eye of the forecast weather; should conditions change unexpectedly for the worse, a faster response would need to enacted - IMO
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 15-03-2014, 18:30   #884

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
There's a thread that runs through k42ja, Boatie's, and my posts, and it may be that as previously suggested, having got our training when rescue services were few and far between, we simply don't think in terms of others bailing us out if we get in trouble. Or, it could also be that some folks have a higher independence index than others, and are drawn towards activities in which they can exercise it. Dunno.

I agree with Salty Monkey in this case, that Boatie will be planning on nursing in his injured craft. It's not pride. It is competence.

Good 'cess to you, Boatie.

Ann
Ann, I agree completely. I think that while we have been talking he has been wrenching.
Old 15-03-2014, 18:40   #885

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
now that is the $1000 dollar question,perhaps a vote is in order.

currently he is making just over 1 knot in the right direction,leaving him 70 hours sailing.

the weather is calm for the next 72 hours so no danger there,apart from having no nav lights and tidal currents once he approches horta

JP has the owners permission to provide assistance,or fuel but will envolve a fee,and boatys pride.

JP intends leaving 6am tomorrow so as to find "bonne etoile" during daylight hours.

JP has a sattelite phone so i can give him the updated position whilst underway.

advice please!
Follow through with the swing.

Tags
delivery