Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-02-2014, 05:45   #331

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Boaty's next stop is Funchal.
Without a doubt. Here's how I know: There's an Irish pub in Funchal, with an Irish babe, Marina Moynihan. My extensive search has documented these facts. (Eat yer heart out GordMay). You guys stick with those confusing wind thingys, I say Boaty's following his head and heart:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moynihans.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	76926   Click image for larger version

Name:	s5.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	76927  

Old 28-02-2014, 05:49   #332
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Does he have any other choice then other than make it for the gate?

Go boaty go!
Old 28-02-2014, 06:10   #333
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
not to mention the 1000 or so miles of NE winds he will need to go through to get there

Yes. How he climbs north will be interesting cause he could get stuck with headwinds south and gales north. Tricky call.
Dave
Old 28-02-2014, 07:00   #334
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

boaty will part the ....oops......wrong book....
geaux boaty...lol
Old 28-02-2014, 07:07   #335
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
he will be punching into headwinds if he stays on that course,once the azores high re-establishes itself early next week .
he ideally wants to be pointing for the azores if he wants to stay on the north side of the high,and keep the SW winds.
+1

I'm still betting he heads north for azores on Sunday.
Old 28-02-2014, 07:08   #336

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
How he climbs north will be interesting cause he could get stuck with headwinds south and gales north. Tricky call.
Dave

Just a loose assumption...
May be he want to make as much easting, keeping himself as much to south, as the wind permit, and make northing, towards Azores, as late as it will be possible...
All this thing is REALLY tricky, given the time.

Anyway - hard to believe he will get the opportunity to go for Madeira, i think. Too much of headwinds rather...

Just hope he will be not stucked in something really bad!
Old 28-02-2014, 07:14   #337
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
boaty will part the ....oops......wrong book....
geaux boaty...lol
i'm sure he will get where he wants to go......though there may be a few ZigZags involved as he gets further across,weather can still be pretty wild in march.......and BBBBBBRRRRRRR,cold.

i sailed up from south africa one time via the cape verdes and madiera in april- may,tacking into the north easterlies........not a pleasant experince
Old 28-02-2014, 08:15   #338

Boat: Catalina 470

I'm with 'ya Dave..
Quote:
How he climbs north will be interesting cause he could get stuck with headwinds south and gales north. Tricky call.
Dave
I said from the beginning, that Phil would stay south and do a good bit of easting early on...
And, then make his way north as he got east of 50* W (say between 50*W and 45*W), where he'd probably be SE of the tracks of the Lows coming off the US coast AND still be on the west side of an Azores High..
But..
But, I had originally thought he'd be making easting along 30*N (probably between 29*N and 30*), and not between 26*N and 27*N!!! (show's 'ya how good a long-range forecast is, huh?)

Currently he's SE of a front, which is predicted to slow down / stall out (south of 32*N) over the weekend, with a Gale developing near 32*/62*....and he's between that and a stationary high building in near 33*N/29*W...

I'd agree it is tricky, but keeping a good angle on the wind might still allow him to head ENE this weekend (but still staying south of 30*N), hopefully getting out of the way of the Low that seems to be moving in on him early part of next week???
Hopefully getting to 29*N/50*W (or farther east) by Monday...
(But whatever the case, I suspect that he'll head the way the winds force him to... and Gale be damned...)

And, the good news is that by next Tuesday, it looks like he'll be home free, and there shouldn't be too much weather to worry about...and a rhumb line to the Azores looks very doable, but doubt he'd head that far North....and Madeira might be a problem (head winds), maybe he'll fall off a bit until he can pinch up and just head for Gib....we'll see...'ya know a 5 - 6 day forecast isn't too accurate!!!

Fair winds to 'ya Phil!

John
s/v Annie Laurie

EDIT:
Opps....Double Whiskey said about the same, while I was on the phone....
Old 28-02-2014, 08:16   #339
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Just a loose assumption...
May be he want to make as much easting, keeping himself as much to south, as the wind permit, and make northing, towards Azores, as late as it will be possible...
All this thing is REALLY tricky, given the time.

Anyway - hard to believe he will get the opportunity to go for Madeira, i think. Too much of headwinds rather...

Just hope he will be not stucked in something really bad!

Can't really see the point of the Azores too far north from where he is. Maderia would be best for Gib. I suspect he'll only north if headed. Too north and he's courting danger

Dave
Old 28-02-2014, 08:42   #340

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

This thread is really exciting. Not really liking to be a spectator, I am going to put down this tablet and go to the dock and get busy. Firm in the knowledge that while I work Boatman is doing what I wish I was doing. Can't get there from here if I don't get busy.
Old 28-02-2014, 08:43   #341

by the time boaty gets to gibralter he is in home seas, is not that where he resides and plays and sneaks in a delivery he doesnt brag about..lol.....i think he will be juuust fine........home seas being anywhere within a few hundred flexible miles from your home port??

yeah right, idorakeeper..isnt that the tablet i saw in your hands just now out where you are working...alerts on,......
Old 28-02-2014, 08:58   #342
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Without a doubt. Here's how I know: There's an Irish pub in Funchal, with an Irish babe, Marina Moynihan. My extensive search has documented these facts. (Eat yer heart out GordMay). You guys stick with those confusing wind thingys, I say Boaty's following his head and heart:
You kill me Crab!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 28-02-2014, 11:56   #343

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Can't really see the point of the Azores too far north from where he is. Maderia would be best for Gib. I suspect he'll only north if headed. Too north and he's courting danger

Dave
You are quite damn right. Just a probability of being headed on the way to Madeira is quite high...
Hope Boatie will be lucky enough to not get headwinds, but...
Old 28-02-2014, 13:03   #344
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Boaty's next stop is Funchal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Hmm.... not withstanding BC's very strong arguable point, I reckon Boatie will only stop if very low on fuel (or baccy) or if boat needs significant repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
.........(But whatever the case, I suspect that he'll head the way the winds force him to... and Gale be damned...)
......Fair winds to 'ya Phil!

John
s/v Annie Laurie
I think this is probably the case and it may well be that he has no access to GRIBs etc.

On another note, I read when some of the posters refer to a Capt. Phil; not sure who this is but I'm dam sure it isn't our Boatie . It just isn't a moniker that he would use
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 28-02-2014, 13:37   #345

there is a capt phil in cf who isnt boatman... and he has also a lot of speriences....
Closed Thread

Tags
delivery