Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26-02-2014, 11:23   #241
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
Haha...I use to turn the boat the completely wrong direction before getting the next guy up for watch, just to see how long till he figured it out. lol..
OMG... I'm Dyin! Love it!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 26-02-2014, 11:25   #242
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Must of been a stink boat. ( or in stink boat mode ) Couldn't do that on a sailing boat under sail without waking the whole crew. Otherwise pics or it didn't happen

Dave
Old 26-02-2014, 11:27   #243
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Looks like Boaty is just following the wind. He must have some weather routing on board

nah!......3days puts him in Margaritaville
Old 26-02-2014, 11:56   #244

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Must of been a stink boat. ( or in stink boat mode ) Couldn't do that on a sailing boat under sail without waking the whole crew. Otherwise pics or it didn't happen

Dave
Yes was a stink boat, same one that's in the pic of my avatar.
Old 26-02-2014, 12:10   #245

Boat: IP 40

As a total Newb when it comes to weather routing and GRIBs files. Any chance a few of you folks with experience here could share what tools your using and what your seeing when referring to current and future weather conditions?

I'm trying to follow along here but am finding it a bit challenging. Any specific GRIB viewers you recommend, and what info are you using (or would you be using in boaties place) to influence routing?

Don't want to derail this thread, but I'm finding the whole discussion interesting and would really like to understand the process.

Thanks,
EB
Old 26-02-2014, 12:12   #246
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBrown View Post
As a total Newb when it comes to weather routing and GRIBs files. Any chance a few of you folks with experience here could share what tools your using and what your seeing when referring to current and future weather conditions?

I'm trying to follow along here but am finding it a bit challenging. Any specific GRIB viewers you recommend, and what info are you using (or would you be using in boaties place) to influence routing?

Don't want to derail this thread, but I'm finding the whole discussion interesting and would really like to understand the process.

Thanks,
EB

Google "passage weather "
Old 26-02-2014, 12:15   #247

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I'm thinking that exposed helm would have me chasing the sun a bit.
Old 26-02-2014, 12:16   #248
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:

Thanks,
EB
Use the search tool in the forum and search for the terms you spec'd.

Else thread drifting here, unlike Boaty who isn't drifting
Old 26-02-2014, 12:17   #249
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

Thanks,
EB
Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers - PassageWeather

sailing america north atlantic wind (gfs) + 0 utc

lots of weather sources out there but these work for me!
Old 26-02-2014, 12:21   #250

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

EB,

When you do that, understand the limitations of grib files: they are computer generated, no human weather forecaster has intervened. So what you get is a computer fantasy of what may happen. The maps are so concrete in appearance, one is tempted to believe it, and make decisions based on what you see, AND they have their limitations.

The devil is in the details. The shapes of weather systems are based on data, as are the wave height estimates, but when you project it into the future it is at best an educated guess. After you've been looking at gribs and MSLs for a while, you decide what you like best. I personally am partial to MSLs because they are all data, not fantasy. YMMV.

And now, [I]sail on, Boatie ![I]

Ann
Old 26-02-2014, 12:33   #251
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
EB,

When you do that, understand the limitations of grib files: they are computer generated, no human weather forecaster has intervened. So what you get is a computer fantasy of what may happen. The maps are so concrete in appearance, one is tempted to believe it, and make decisions based on what you see, AND they have their limitations.

The devil is in the details. The shapes of weather systems are based on data, as are the wave height estimates, but when you project it into the future it is at best an educated guess. After you've been looking at gribs and MSLs for a while, you decide what you like best. I personally am partial to MSLs because they are all data, not fantasy. YMMV.

And now, [I]sail on, Boatie ![I]

Ann
Italics glitch???

I'm ignoring the thread omen....

Old 26-02-2014, 12:38   #252
Nearly an old salt

The big issue with Gribs is they ignore local weather , there are a big picture approach. I've had 10-15 knots more then forecast and differences in direction compared to what the Gribs say. All should be taken with caution

Dave
Old 26-02-2014, 12:53   #253

I have really enjoyed keeping track on this adventure very cool that he shared his spot tracker with us.

A couple thoughts I am sure the owners have enjoyed watching his progress and the progress of this thread it must be interesting to have so many keyboard sailors giving feedback and encouragement.

Speaking of keyboard sailors for fun and practice I have been attempting to plot his course based on weather data I might have when I am on board. Kind of hard not knowing the true conditions but fun and educational none the less. I made a google map of his last 100 updates.

Without drifting to far off topic I have been thinking how nice it would have been to have a spot tracker on the abandoned Alpha42. If I was ever to have a boat delivered how I would want to have one on board.
Old 26-02-2014, 12:59   #254
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The big issue with Gribs is they ignore local weather , there are a big picture approach. I've had 10-15 knots more then forecast and differences in direction compared to what the Gribs say. All should be taken with caution

Dave
Dave... Quit fooling around and get your butt back in the solar panel classroom....

Old 26-02-2014, 13:00   #255
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Dave... Quit fooling around and get your butt back in the solar panel classroom....

You have to think about the problem , ( and post ) while you're at that I'm doodling in this thread.

Dave

Tags
delivery