Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2009, 08:47   #1

Atlantic 57 vs Gunboat 48

How does the Atlantic 57 compare to the gunboat 48? Which would be more suited to cruising. Does anyone know of price. Which one would sail faster and what speeds would be expected

Thanks
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 09:53   #2

Gunboat was 1.3M USD as of 6 months ago. The atlantic is also expensive.
sailorcrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 10:07   #3

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
half million vs. 600K depending on market price and whether it's new or used, either one, both above 20Knots depending on the wind speed.
LoL
Old 30-11-2009, 10:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
It would be more fair to compare the
A57 to a 60' Gunboat.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 10:46   #5

Boat: s/v Giro Lagoon 380 S2 #409
Send a message via Skype™ to twowheel
+1 to Sandy

Why not comp the Atlantic 48 to the GB 48?
twowheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 11:51   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Hi Big Red. Since you are new here, please go to the meets and greets forum and introduce yourself!

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 11:59   #7

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Don't do it BigRed! It's a trap. They're from the IRS wanting to know how you can afford either one of those boats.
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 13:59   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheel View Post
+1 to Sandy

Why not comp the Atlantic 48 to the GB 48?
Perhaps because the Gunboat 48 costs about as much as the Atlantic 57 and at least 50% more than the Atlantic 48.

Martin
Sparohok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 18:30   #9

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
There is this boat here... 2003 Chris White Designs Atlantic 55 Sail Boat For Sale -

...if only I could afford it
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 22:02   #10

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
These are two boat I really fell in love with. While at the Annapolis boat show 3 years ago l was considering ordering the Gunboat 48. Then I sailed on the Atlantic 57 and as you can see I bought the Chris White.

I think they are both incredible dream boats for a couple small family. The Gunboat is much more of a compromise inside and out if you plan to be a live aboard and cruise. I suspect the upkeep is much higher on the Gunboat even though they are about the same price. I also think the gunboat 48 is a fair amount more expensive when you add everything up. They really are different boats, the gunboat would be more for short romps around the BVI and the Atlantic 57 more for a shorthanded circumnavigation.

As for performance, I think the Atlantic 57 would win hands down and do so in much more comfort. "Cruising Speed" is dependent on the crew more than the boat design in this category. My expectation from what I've read is that in a good day during a crossing we'd get between 220 and 250 Kmiles per day and that we would normally average over 200Km per day. Probably a few percent (10 - 20 Km) better with the Atlantic than a gunboat due to the longer hulls.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 22:55   #11

Hi Agility,
Did you consider the Atlantic 48? They are building again, right? Seems to me the advantages are easier to handle size and lower sailing loads for a shorthanded crew. And of course cheaper to buy and maintain. Disadvantages are less space (although the layout is similar) and less load carrying. What did you think of the 48?
Sparohok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:18   #12

Boat: 58 ft catamaran
Hi everyone,
How about the new Nexus 600 (58ft)? I have the prototype built by Two Oceans Marine Cape Town."Abundant Life". We have already logged 4500nm since our launch in April and the boat outperforms any expectations. Have a look at my user-page or the nexuscatamarans.com webpage. I looked at the gunboats - not a family cruiser in my opinion. We have a payload capacity of 6000kg - progressively flared hulls and high bridge clearance keep the boat performing even with a full load. 22kts in 28 kts true at 120 deg.- we generally cruise at 10 -12 kts however - much more relaxed or I am getting too old
Nexus have just launched their first boat and its for sale as a demo.
Epoxy and foam throughout gave us a launch weight of 15000kg and this boat is big for its length.
Worth having a look at
David
yellowsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:28   #13

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparohok View Post
Hi Agility,
Did you consider the Atlantic 48? They are building again, right? Seems to me the advantages are easier to handle size and lower sailing loads for a shorthanded crew. And of course cheaper to buy and maintain. Disadvantages are less space (although the layout is similar) and less load carrying. What did you think of the 48?
We never seriously considered the 48. We had a 58 Tayana previously and didn't have much of a problem with size. The biggest issue we had was launching a big dink from the bow which is a non issue with davits on the cat. The Tayana was 33 tons instead of 12 tons so again it should be easier in many ways. Once on passage, we really like the idea of the extra waterline. Having said all that, the 48 is a very interesting boat. Given what's happened to the stock market, if I was in the market today I would take a hard look at the 48 but Alwoplast isn't building them and they are my preferred choice of yards. Take a look at all the owners comments about the builder on his website. Alex is a honorable man who is dedicated to making dreams come true. They are dreamboats rights?
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:33   #14

Agility you said you were going with Alwoplast. How come them over Aquidneck. I assume the price is more with Aquidneck. Do you think the boats perform much better if build by Aquidneck compared to being build by Alwoplast. What process did you go through in deciding the Atlantic 57 over other catamarans or even monohauls. Did you charter one or sailed catamarans before or simply had gut feeling? What is the process in building on with Alwoplast. Does Chris White do much and if so what are his responsibilities during the build? Finally what speeds have you read or been told to expect from the Atlantic 57.

Thanks

I look forward to your reply
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:52   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I have the same impression as Agility. The Atlantic is more of an ultimate, comfortable yet fast cruising boat and the Gunboat is more of a partially stripped, faster, less comfortable cruiser/racer.

It really depends on what you want to do with your boat as to which is more suitable.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote