Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2016, 23:17   #511

Re: Atlantic 57 Catamaran Capsized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Yes that was part of the mystery. After capsizing and being abandoned, one wonders whether wantabe salvors (commercial fishos?) had a go. certainly not hard to re-right a cat with a bit of rope and modest HP. All got to hard/bad weather/ what ever?? and it was left to continue its drift.

Wasn't Catcha that was discussed here recently after capsizing on the Wide Bay Bar also a Chambelin design ? Parrallax? maybe.

A pattern developing here maybe ?
I think they did a night time crossing of Wide bay bar , anyway been crossing the bar for thirty years and have never seen it so wrong and not long after the incident..
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:18   #512

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Now that cat has the best of both worlds. It flips but then is self righting. On top of that it floats after self righting!
I know you are kidding but to the ones that have less information some explanations:

The Chamberlain 14 was found on this condition six months after having capsized.

After being capsized a cat will not right itself up, at least not while it has is intact stability and a huge amount of water inside does not compromise it. On most cases that will take a lot of time, weeks probably.

Like a monohull, a multihull full of water has its stability compromised and will be much easier to capsize or to right itself up, meaning it will be much easier to be rolled by a wave, upside up, or upside down.

With the wreck on those conditions and on the region the the capsize took place I don't think it is surprising that what remained from the boat would be rolled by waves several times. It could have been upside down or upside up when they found it. no surprise there.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:21   #513
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Like a monohull, a multihull full of water has its stability compromised and will be much easier to capsize or to right itself up, meaning it will be much easier to be rolled by a wave, upside up, or upside down.

With the wreck on those conditions and on the region the the capsize took place I don't think it is surprising that what remained from the boat would be rolled by waves several times. It could have been upside down or upside up when they found it. no surprise there.
Seriously. You think it has capsized and then been rolled back upright by a wave. Slug thinks some passing fisherman righted it and then buggered off, I mean seriously!
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:28   #514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Seriously. You think it has capsized and then been rolled back upright by a wave. Slug thinks some passing fisherman righted it and then buggered off, I mean seriously!
Yes seriously. I would say that one of the hulls filled up with water much faster than the other and with the boat stability compromised that way a breaking wave with 3 or 4 meters would have done the job. Those waves are not unusual on that zone on winter.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:24   #515

Well cat's are self righting then. Just like mono's. They do require a wave or some other assistance to right themselves from the inverted position, but so do mono's.

So all these threads about capsize have been a waste of everyone's time. (Well yes, we already knew that.)

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:32   #516

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Well cat's are self righting then. Just like mono's. They do require a wave or some other assistance to right themselves from the inverted position, but so do mono's.

So all these threads about capsize have been a waste of everyone's time. (Well yes, we already knew that.)
The diference is that a monohull will right itself in about a minute on the same sea way conditions that lead to his inversion, a cat may re right itself if some conditions are meet, like asymmetrical flooding of hulls, a condition that rarely occurs and that when occurs it takes normally weeks to happen.

Can you not see the diference? Why do you post things that I believe you know they are nonsense? They do not add nothing to the discussion, they are not serious.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:40   #517

LOL you're last few posts have been complete nonsense, and I find it extremely difficult to believe you don't know they are nonsense.

John McEnroe
Old 07-12-2016, 12:53   #518

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
I know you are kidding but to the ones that have less information some explanations:

The Chamberlain 14 was found on this condition six months after having capsized.

After being capsized a cat will not right itself up, at least not while it has is intact stability and a huge amount of water inside does not compromise it. On most cases that will take a lot of time, weeks probably.

I found hard to believe this multi flip back by itself, i doubt very much unless its rolled with the help of a Wall of wáter . those things when they are with the bottoms pointing to the sky they stay like that until some kind of salvage is performed, me think some kind of fishermans or who know probably right herself and loot the boat.

The crossbeam rigging is missing , add that to the looted list...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 13:03   #519
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Yes seriously. I would say that one of the hulls filled up with water much faster than the other and with the boat stability compromised that way a breaking wave with 3 or 4 meters would have done the job. Those waves are not unusual on that zone on winter.

How would one hull fill up faster than the other? And if it did, wouldn't it make sense that the cat would right itself before the crew were rescued?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 13:15   #520
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Atlantic 57 Catamaran Capsized

If one hull fills up faster than the other I cant see it flipping.. I can however see the other hull trapping air with the result of the boat hanging vertically in the water.. else a Catalac that had a thru-hull fail at its mooring would have flipped instead of just floating as above with the one hull just partly above the water.
Opps.. forgot.. I'm talking Tanks not glass and foam..
Anything else is down to climate change..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 13:40   #521

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
How would one hull fill up faster than the other? And if it did, wouldn't it make sense that the cat would right itself before the crew were rescued?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Flooding of one hull can defintely cause a capsize. Last Winter the Gemini Kindred Spirit capsized in the gulf stream off of Key Largo after one hull started taking on water. Seas were only about 6 feet but it went over with the sails up. Once inverted it stabilized in the inverted position and remained afloat for at least 24 hours. With the sails up (or down depending on how you view them in the inverted position) I don't see any way the boat would ever right itself. Even if the sails were stowed I suspect the drag of the rig would prevent it from righting itself.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 13:45   #522
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
The diference is that a monohull will right itself in about a minute on the same sea way conditions that lead to his inversion, a cat may re right itself if some conditions are meet, like asymmetrical flooding of hulls, a condition that rarely occurs and that when occurs it takes normally weeks to happen.

Can you not see the diference? Why do you post things that I believe you know they are nonsense? They do not add nothing to the discussion, they are not serious.
I have sailed multis for 30 or more years, know many boats, owners and designers, never not once ever have I seen or heard of or been told of a multi being rolled back level by a wave after being capsized.
Old 07-12-2016, 14:58   #523

Details of many catamaran capsizes find their way to the internet for scrutiny. Some don't.

For all the capsizes we know about, how many pass under the radar, so to speak.

For instance , I'm not sure that this particular capsize was discussed. Supposedly a delivery to Melbourne, flipped on the northern NSW coast.

Information anyone?

Did it right itself?

Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 15:20   #524

It's certainly a mystery. A catamaran floating right way up. Who would ever imagine such a thing?

John McEnroe
Old 07-12-2016, 15:51   #525
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Details of many catamaran capsizes find their way to the internet for scrutiny. Some don't.
Ah yes well the internet is the font of all wisdom. Every capsize in Australia would be a marine incident and would be investigated by competent and knowledgable persons

Tags
capsize, leopard, size