Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2022, 15:01   #211

Re: Are Cats Made from Duflex Panel Kits Strong ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
Sounds like the Seawind would be the best option for you. The Max Cruise and Raku 44 are very much performance cats and the "+ etc. etc. etc." you listed will sink those narrow hulls. They have hull ratios of 12.5:1 vs the around 9:1 (just a guess from photos) of the Seawind .... that's a huge difference in payload and would allow all those items to fit aboard.
Hi Matt,
Thx for the hint. Then I'll do some more math.
The hybrid drive system means only about 150kg additional weight in total (including genset). Battery banks 2x150kg + motors including support 2x50kg. So much less than many think. Solar panel incl. arch 200kg (that's a surprising amount). Additional power electronics and extensive electrical installation 150kg, washdryer 60kg (incredibly much), dinghy + motor?, dive compressor?, dive tanks + dive equipment? And an endless etc. etc. etc.
Maybe fixed keels instead of daggerboards (due to the higher weight but sacrificing a little more height upwind)?
Biggest concern against Seawind is, that they do not have a hybrid version and retractable e-motors (I'm looking for the vetus pods or fmt-marinetechnik.de pods mounted to some kind of wings and located at the stern transom or nearby). With Max or Raku I probably could realize that (the new betamarine alternative is neither fish nor meat and much heavier and has a bad load balancing).
Anyway, I have to do a deep dive into that, use Excel and ask Terry about my findings (the Max 44 SC is still my favorite).
Yes Matt, you are right - this can get tight.

Again - thank you for pointing this out. Better to check far in advance.

Cheers
Dirk
Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 17:45   #212

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We originally wanted yamaha outboard to keep the weight down. But after a few experiences on cats with them, we decided the negatives outweighed the benefits. We then looked at hybrid, but as you said, the weight quickly shot way past standard diesels.

Maybe electric outboard would be a good option for you? You can fully retract them as you're looking to do, they are light weight, and can have long shafts so none of the ventilation issues of gas motors.

Matt
Old 05-05-2022, 20:09   #213

Boat: Amigo 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Europe never gets harsh conditions

I was thinking "northern Norway is in Europe..."

ParL is offline   Reply With Quote