Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 00:52   #16

The lagoon 420 electric is a piece of crap. The generator starts in about 10 minutes running time........then runs, runs, and runs some more to charge back up. Really underpowered too.
Badgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:46   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Not really underpowered , we use 2 x 9.6 Kw and reach 10 knots with this configuration , the 420 is just to heavy for these motors.
If they took 5 tons out in weight it would work really fine I am sure
We motor around for well over 1 hour and 30 minutes before the genset kicks in .

Greetings
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:12   #18

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
Chris Whites cats are nice looking, but I am not so sure about the forward cockpit. It would be nice in fair weather but in bad weather it would get really wet. This is when most people say you go inside and steer. Thats fine, but you better not have too much sail up. I do believe this would be a dangerous scenario if you want to sail fast, as you would be a good distance from you sheets and lines.
If I got one (which I won't) I would get the bigger one with the aft cockpit and add steering back there as well. I would also try and do away with the Hydraulic steering setup.
These boats have nice looking fine hulls with a curved "sheer". This is almost unheard of in most new designs.
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:06   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Although you sit in front of the saloon with the Crsi White designed boat and with the Gunboat for instance there are enough people that like this solution so there must be some advantages to it.
I have staid away from it in our design but this must have something to do with myself. if unprotected under the sun I burn to a crisp and I always want some type of solar shade above me so cats like catana , gunboat, atlantic and a fww more are not for me. fine hulls have many advatages but they also tend to dig in in hard winds so for that reason we have fine hull shapes that become voluminous above the water line
2 advantages
1.no digging in
2.more space inside
disadvatage not the nice looks like a gunboat 48
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 11:48   #20

Boat: Atlantic 42 GRACE
Living aboard Atlantic 42

We have been 5 years aboard GRACE from northern California to Cartagena Colombia. I have seen all types of crusing catamarans and this is by far the best ever designed. She sails fast and comfortable in all sea conditions. The layout is great for two or a family. We have had guests for up to one month with no problems. This design is definately a "Better Mouse Trap". Many thanks again to Chris White.
jkerrigan7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 13:39   #21

Boat: Atlantic 42 Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkerrigan7373 View Post
We have been 5 years aboard GRACE from northern California to Cartagena Colombia. I have seen all types of crusing catamarans and this is by far the best ever designed. She sails fast and comfortable in all sea conditions. The layout is great for two or a family. We have had guests for up to one month with no problems. This design is definately a "Better Mouse Trap". Many thanks again to Chris White.
That makes at lest three A42 owners on the list. We should start an A42 owner's group . We've sailed "Linda" from Oz to the West coast and visited many of the Pacific island groups in four big loops through the Pacific. We love the boat. To be sure, all boats are compromises at many levels. I'm not going to argue that the A42 is the perfect boat or anything (if Ben B flew by on his helicopter and dropped a lot of money on me I'd buy a little bigger boat). But, IMO, it is a wonderfully good cruising cat design.

Tom
tsmwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 16:43   #22

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
forget the electric/hybrid motors;still issues to be worked out with them. if you are interested in a monohull, do not, i repeat, do not go for a sail on a multihull. See the article in the June Cruising World "9 Good Reasons to Sail a Cat". i happen to agree with the OPINIONS of the author.
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:58   #23

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Regarding the Lagoon 42, there was one called I think "two paws" ? It had the electrical engines, but they weren't retractible like the fastcat designs, so it was the path to water for a lightning strike. While the boat was new and covered under warranty, they opted for diesels as replacements as the lightning hit destroyed the entire power train (motors, batteries, controls, etc). Their reasoning was that it was very possible for them to be hit by lightning again, and the next time they would be responsible for the repair costs which were around 40K for the powertrain alone.

This next part is hypothesis, but I believe that a retractible electric drive would be less likely to be the victem of a strike due to the fact that it can be more electrically isolated. Either way, I personally would never choose a non retractable electric engine design due to the advantages of an retractible electric engine.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 15:45   #24

i spied an Atlantic boat berthed in Auckland's Viaduct Basin when i drove past on tuesday. i went down the following afternoon to have a real good look at it, but it had slipped its lines and was gone! bugger! i didnt get a real good view of it, but looked to be a larger one - perhaps a 48 or 55, light blue in colour. Perhaps Zen - i think she has had a repaint recently?

Scout, a 42 was here last year and looked real nice - love that sheerline on the 42's
bounty hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 20:38   #25

Atlantic 55

My family and I have been sailing an Atlantic 55 for the last year -- Massachusetts, Nova Scotia, Bermuda, Virgin Islands, Columbia, Panama, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Mexico, US, Bahamas and soon non-stop back to Massachusetts -- about 8,000 miles when all is said and done.

We have owned the boat for over two years and were fortunate to do our "before departure" refit, when an A57 was being built nearby. We used a number of their molds and ideas to add some features that make this boat a cross between the two.

I am still new to cats (other than many charters and Hobies), but have sailed and raced over 100,000 miles on a wide variety of mono-hulls.

We (my wife and I) absolutely love the boat, and now we are unabashed catamaran enthusiasts. The forward cockpit works wonderfully; great visibility, safe and comfortable -- you can really see the sails while sailing. Visibility from inside the wheel house/main salon is exceptional. Chris White has sailed many miles on his boats, often alone, and his many practical design details show it. For one small example, with the boom-rigged staysail and the main both self-tacking on travelers, you can sail into a harbor without touching the sheets.

We are happy with our passage times -- we have averaged about 220 miles a day at sea and this is with our 12 and 14 year old children as watch mates.

Our boat was originally built in South Africa and we are the third owner. It was well-built (I think that Chris oversees the construction of most of his boats). I was quite comfortable in some lousy weather that we saw early in our trip. There is plenty of bridge deck clearance (around 40") and plenty of forward reserve buoyancy.

In all, a great boat!
Dragon701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 20:58   #26

Boat: Hammerhead 54
Re: Anyone Sailing the Chris White Design Cats

I sailed hull #1 of the Hammerhead 54 from North Carolina to Australia via the Panama Canal.
You will never find a better sailing multi than a Chris White design.

It was wet but then I didn't have a dodger!

Life is too short for slow boats and ugly women!

Here is a picture of her after I sold her and she was sailed back to San Francisco
<a href="http://www.chriswhitedesigns.com/trimarans/hammerhead_54/">Shimoda</a>
Shimoda is offline   Reply With Quote