Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2018, 08:57   #1

Anyone Sailed in a Norseman Mayotte 47?

I am looking at a 93 Mayotte 47 and can't really find any information online. Does anyone here have first hand experience with this model?

How do they sail? How's the bridge-deck clearance? Are they good family cruisers?

Thanks!
Barbar0ssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 10:44   #2

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Anyone Sailed in a Norseman Mayotte 47?

Never sailed one but have been aboard. I like the open layout of the salon, but the bridgedeck clearance is low. I suspect it would make a fine family cruiser if you can accept that it will pound on occasion.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 08:57   #3

They seem to have an impressive amount of space, but I was concerned about the bridgedeck clearance as you said. They seem to be a pretty rare cat though apparently they are still making the 50 foot version.
Old 23-06-2018, 00:30   #4

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

They are basically what became the Voyage range of boats. Very, very small amount of bridgedeck clearance. Charter companies love Voyage because they can literally hose down the interior as there is no wood inside.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 01:26   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
They are basically what became the Voyage range of boats. Very, very small amount of bridgedeck clearance. Charter companies love Voyage because they can literally hose down the interior as there is no wood inside.
I like that feature too...no wood! Its just time release maintenance waiting to happen.

Ive run a couple of 50s, but not the 47.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 07:17   #6

What is your impression of the 50? I can find very little info on this family of boats.
Old 23-06-2018, 07:52   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbar0ssa View Post
What is your impression of the 50? I can find very little info on this family of boats.
I generally like the 50s. Solid boat, sails reasonably well, good layout. Cockpit ingress/egress is a little awkward except at the pass in mid transom. While the low bridge deck clearance, especially aft, is a negative it also has a positive side: great access to water/dink at transom.

I want to like the dinghy crane which extends from the boom, but it is way less convenient than davits.

Note that this same basic design has been built under many different brand names (Voyage, Norseman, Mayotte, St Francis, ...) so this may complicate your search.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 21:55   #8

Boat: Lagoon TPI

Did you buy one ? The comment above is not quite true. St francis is a completely different boat and designer. Both do come from South Africa. SF from St Francis bay and Voyage from Capetown. The Mayotte 47 was the start, then lengthend at the transom (for a better ride) to 50 ft.Also to get a better price ! The Norsman 43 is a smaller version. All of these were built to cross oceans. Ours was the first 47 to circumnavigate. I do remember one particular slam which levitated a tea cup 20 inches from the saloon table. Yes they do slam ! All catamarans do !
old pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 03:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by old pirate View Post
Did you buy one ? The comment above is not quite true. St francis is a completely different boat and designer. Both do come from South Africa. SF from St Francis bay and Voyage from Capetown. The Mayotte 47 was the start, then lengthend at the transom (for a better ride) to 50 ft.Also to get a better price ! The Norsman 43 is a smaller version. All of these were built to cross oceans. Ours was the first 47 to circumnavigate. I do remember one particular slam which levitated a tea cup 20 inches from the saloon table. Yes they do slam ! All catamarans do !
What can you tell me about how the Mayotte 47 sails as considering one
Genie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 04:32   #10

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I generally like the 50s. Solid boat, sails reasonably well, good layout. Cockpit ingress/egress is a little awkward except at the pass in mid transom. While the low bridge deck clearance, especially aft, is a negative it also has a positive side: great access to water/dink at transom.

I want to like the dinghy crane which extends from the boom, but it is way less convenient than davits.

Note that this same basic design has been built under many different brand names (Voyage, Norseman, Mayotte, St Francis, ...) so this may complicate your search.
2 additional notes: the lower bridgedeck also changes the center of gravity and reduces your windage - valuable when coming alongside in crosswinds. As for the boom crane, it may not be as convenient but it eliminates a bunch of weight hanging off the stern.

If the bones are good, and you like the boat, she’ll work for you. All boats will slam in som conditions. Pick your weather, winds and tides and you’ll be fine.
Good luck with your purchase.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 05:31   #11

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Our friends have a lengthened 43 it sails very well is quite comfortable for guests, motors well also , the boom crane coupled with an electric winch makes Dinghy launch and store very easy and faster then almost any Davits.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 04:06   #12

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbar0ssa View Post
I am looking at a 93 Mayotte 47 and can't really find any information online. Does anyone here have first hand experience with this model?

How do they sail? How's the bridge-deck clearance? Are they good family cruisers?

Thanks!
Not sure where you are, but I went through the Mayotte 500 yesterday in Annapolis. Lots of potential and is in good condition. If you’re interested, pm me for more info. I am not financially involved, don’t know the owner’s, etc... I just went through it carefully while my wife was elsewhere.

Regards,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail