Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2021, 22:54   #1

Anyone in here renamed their boat and lived to tell the tale?

I only ever did it once, and it didn’t end well….
SV WELDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 00:37   #2

Boat: Regina 43
Re: Anyone in here renamed their boat and lived to tell the tale?

I did it but to be fair the name she had, which was an anagram of the initials of the previous owners family, meant something very rude in Danish and our home waters are Öresund. I believe that having lived with that name for 20 years my boat approved heartily of her renaming.
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 00:48   #3

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

My boat has been renamed 3 times since I sold her end of 2013. Boat was still going fine last time I heard, a few months back. Don't know about the owners

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 01:13   #4

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Tere Hau Nui to MR B,
Im not superstitious,
Scraped the old name off and put the new one on with out any rigmarole at all,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 01:55   #5

Boat: Leopard 40

Yip, no problem!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 02:02   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Hell yes!,
Won a lot of races & sold it for only 10% less than we paid for it after 14 years.
Be brave
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 03:12   #7

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Renaming a boat is traditionally bad luck unless the gods are appeased by ceremonies that require sacrificing of virgins. Given the current world order these should of course be gender neutral.

1. If you commission a vessel it should have the boat name on the contract. Otherwise workers on the build will give it a name that "will" be derogatory and will stick with it. Then the vessel will need to be renamed rather than named when launched without the owner realising their obligation to conduct said ceremonies.

2. Consider your new boat name very carefully. "Solo Ocean Discoverer" will quickly become SOD.

3. Phonetics - Grandiose names "Independent Global Explorer" can be a nightmare to announce over the radio.

Vessel - India November Delta Echo Papa Echo November Delta Echo November Tango Golf Lima Oscar Bravo Lima Echo Xray Papa Lima Oscar Romeo Echo Romeo - over
Port - Repeat please.

4. Offensive in foreign countries. Global car makers have whole departments to research names in other countries to make sure they are not offensive. As was the case cited Denmark.

5. Some years back a certain charter company gave the naming task to delivery crews. One result was "The Cats Arse" that for sure was a source of great amusement on the delivery but somewhat embarrassing for the charter guests.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 04:14   #8

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Yes we did, the previous name was just not for us, so She has been the “SV Pegu Club”, for the past six years, and with every intent of continuing on as such for another decade or more, you all know, or until it’s not fun anymore…,

Rename your boat, it shows the boat and the sea gods that you care and have an adventurous soul, and they will like that, oh and don’t name your boat with the same name thousands of other boats have, the gods frown on unimaginative sailors…,

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 05:13   #9

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

We removed the old name and are about to order a new name in vinyl, but someone wasn’t happy about the new name I guess. Everyone survived, but it isn’t pretty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4761.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	242692
Old 25-07-2021, 05:30   #10

"Inside joke" names, kitschy names, or names directly or indirectly memorializing the owner are meaningless. Names that venerate the vessel are sacrosanct - proceed with great caution as all that knew the boat as she once was will mutter a silent curse as they smile to your face.

For some reason, naming a boat - really finding a name that captures the soul of the boat vs assigning a cartouche of ownership - is no longer in fashion. If today's naming were used back in AC J-Boat days, 'Endeavor' would be named "Team Sopwith" after the owner.

Can you imagine if Charles Darwin (or a successor) had changed the name 'Beagle' to 'The Offiice?'
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 09:46   #11

Good to know. Yes our previous boat named “tip money” because he was a bar tender. I renamed her “freiya” and she soon exploded underway and never saw the water again. I DID do a ceremony but it’s possible the choice of hooch was not appropriate. It was also done in fresh water, not sure if that matters. On the next go I’m planning to have a proper drink with a 25yr scotch and take NO chances.
Old 25-07-2021, 09:48   #12

I figure I’ll put the scotch in a glass and then just barely submerge it, and then waft the glass around just under the surface, until eventually, I will let go of the glass and let the sea reclaim it. Hopefully this isn’t considered littering lol.
Old 25-07-2021, 10:36   #13
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We’ve renamed 10 boats with no ceremony and no apparent bad luck......yet.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 11:12   #14

Boat: Regina 43

I second being very careful in the naming. “Mara”
means “The sea” in gaelic (I’m scottish) but “Mara” is also an evil spirit that sits on your chest while you sleep and gives you nightmares in Norse mythology and the boat is registered in Sweden. This ambiguity was sure to make the boat resentful and the gods of the deep wrathful so I added the “Na” which has no meaning in old Norse but means “by”, “of” or “belonging to” in Gaelic. So Na Mara disambiguates the name so that it can only be understood as Gaelic for “of the sea”. Suits her much better than the original name which was Danish slang for what one does by oneself when feeling restless and lonely.
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 15:57   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

When we bought the boat before this one, it was named "No Problems", which was its 3rd name.

With a ceremony and a party, we named her "Insatiable". And even that, imo, is a little long for radio communications spelling. Nonetheless, it was her new name, and she served us well for 18 yrs. or so.

We renamed this boat, "Insatiable II", so that old friends might suspect the new boat belonged to us. Had we kept its original name, the old friends of the previous owners would have been dropping in, and that would also have been a good thing. It was a good name.

To me, the name "No Problems" would just attract problems. Same way, I wouldn't ever call a boat "Stormy Weather."

One of the more unusual boat names for boats whose people we met was "Mudslide Slim".

Ann

Tags
boat