Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 11:40   #1

Any issues with mid 90's French made Cats?

We have expanded our searches to 65 footers is why I'm asking.
This will be a 3-4 day live aboard.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:28   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Any issues with mid 90's French made Cats?

3-4 days and you need 65 feet. Like wow, my house isn't that big.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 13:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
3-4 days and you need 65 feet. Like wow, my house isn't that big.

Need and want are two different things.
Old 09-12-2015, 14:10   #4

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

I'm looking at mid-90s French cats also. Jeantot Marine Privilege a bit. Interested in any insigths here.

~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 14:14   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Like any boat , a lot depends on maintenance and care, The Privilege 39's I have looked at did not age well, had multiple issues stemming from badly designed windows, numerous leaks, and poor wiring. In good shape they are a strong robust safe cruiser.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 14:27   #6

How about Nautitech?
Old 09-12-2015, 14:44   #7

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Not a fan of the anchor setup of its the one with the windlass and chain mounted on the port bow, or the totally exposed helms on some of their models, but other than that just whats posted

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 14:59   #8

It says Catana on the side of the boat.
Old 09-12-2015, 15:25   #9
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I believe that Catana built the Nautitch 65, if that is the boat you are referring to. That should indicate a good build quality, and likely decent performance as they also had boards. The problem, of course, is that after 20 + years of use, barring a massive refit within the last 5 -7 years and good maintenence thereafter, it is undoubtedly due (if not long overdue) for the same. Build quality is extremely important, but so too are maintenance/upgrades, use and abuse. A complete professional refit on a 65 foot cat is bound to be in the 6 figures (I just spent almost 70K on a refit/repairs/topsides awlgrip on my exponentially smaller 40 foot cat - and it had been sailed primarily in fresh water and had no osmotic blisters).

In any event, I am not aware of any inherent problems with the boat and certainly the early Catanas have held up (and held their value) quite well.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 15:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
I believe that Catana built the Nautitch 65, if that is the boat you are referring to. That should indicate a good build quality, and likely decent performance as they also had boards. The problem, of course, is that after 20 + years of use, barring a massive refit within the last 5 -7 years and good maintenence thereafter, it is undoubtedly due (if not long overdue) for the same. Build quality is extremely important, but so too are maintenance/upgrades, use and abuse. A complete professional refit on a 65 foot cat is bound to be in the 6 figures (I just spent almost 70K on a refit/repairs/topsides awlgrip on my exponentially smaller 40 foot cat - and it had been sailed primarily in fresh water and had no osmotic blisters).

In any event, I am not aware of any inherent problems with the boat and certainly the early Catanas have held up (and held their value) quite well.

Brad
That would be the one and thanks Brad.
I would be doing all the work myself. So would a refit fall under the same price tag then?
Myself I have lost all faith in the majority of the blue collar work force that "Pizza and McDonald's" themselves 100 pounds over weight and become butt lazy and then drinking themselves to sleep every night. Surely not the same gene pool as the one's that built our WWII aircraft in Southern CA.
Old 09-12-2015, 16:03   #11
CF Adviser

I did a great deal of the work myself, but the cost of purchasing new sails, canvass, running rigging (including various new blocks), lifelines, thru-hulls, sea cocks, hoses below the waterline, water heater, water pressure pump, hatches, opening portlights, cockpit cushions, berth cushions, reupholstered saloon and seating cushions, batteries, upgrades to the electronics, additional solar panels, all new LED light fixtures, new RIB, new Balmar alternators, starter motors, filter boss system for the diesels, etc., etc. gets up there pretty quickly. Admittedly I did not have to replace all of these, but as I intend to cruise full time for some time, I wanted to avoid as many system problems as possible (keeping older, but still usable parts as spares).

I did have a yard remove my rudders, cut them open, inspect the interior framing, re-core and re-glass as they were showing signs of water intrusion and a soggy core. Never having vacuum bagged I left that, a repair to a soggy area in the aft deck where davits had been improperly installed and the awlgrip on the topsides to a professional (try DIY spraying outside, in non-controlled conditions and see what happens).

You may be satisfied with old, blown out sails if you don't care about performance, or need to rely upon them on longer passages. You may be satisfied with discoloured, hazy gelcoat with the inevitable scratches and scrapes that accumulate over 20 plus years (or alternatively, with a tip and roll paint job). You may be satified sleeping on (and having your guests sleep on ) 20 year old, used mattresses. You may be satisfied with hazy, leaky hatches and portlights. You may be satisfied with unreliable systems and with dated electronics. That is for you to decide.

I must say, however, that I find your elitist generalization about trades people to be both offensive and unhelpful.

Brad
Old 09-12-2015, 16:04   #12
CF Adviser

I did a great deal of the work myself, but the cost of purchasing new sails, canvass, running rigging (including various new blocks), lifelines, thru-hulls, sea cocks, hoses below the waterline, water heater, water pressure pump, hatches, opening portlights, cockpit cushions, berth cushions, reupholstered saloon and seating cushions, batteries, upgrades to the electronics, additional solar panels, all new LED light fixtures, new RIB, new Balmar alternators, starter motors, filter boss system for the diesels, etc., etc. gets up there pretty quickly. Admittedly I did not have to replace all of these, but as I intend to cruise full time for some time, I wanted to avoid as many system problems as possible (keeping older, but still usable parts as spares).

I did have a yard remove my rudders, cut them open, inspect the interior framing, re-core and re-glass as they were showing signs of water intrusion and a soggy core. Never having vacuum bagged I left that, a repair to a soggy area in the aft deck where davits had been improperly installed and the awlgrip on the topsides to a professional (try DIY spraying outside, in non-controlled conditions and see what happens).

You may be satisfied with old, blown out sails if you don't care about performance, or need to rely upon them on longer passages. You may be satisfied with discoloured, hazy gelcoat with the inevitable scratches and scrapes that accumulate over 20 plus years (or alternatively, with a tip and roll paint job). You may be satified sleeping on (and having your guests sleep on ) 20 year old, used mattresses. You may be satisfied with hazy, leaky hatches and portlights. You may be satisfied with unreliable systems and with dated electronics. That is for you to decide.

I must say, however, that I find your elitist generalization about trades people to be both offensive and unhelpful.

Brad
Old 09-12-2015, 16:16   #13

Quote:

Brad
If I was and elitist I surely would not be on this forum asking how-to questions on a 20 year old boat would I.
Well you must have not been a financial victim like I have been then and many a time.
I'm not sure if your in or from the US the the work force today is not stamped from the same mould as my generation. And yes I have swung a hammer before and ran a spray gun.
I won't bring up nepotism just right now either.
Also those outside of this forum would probably call us all elitists seeing the luxury items we are discussing.
Old 09-12-2015, 16:21   #14

One big thing is a cored hull. If it's good it's good, if it has delamination or wet core...run....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 16:24   #15

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:

Brad
I too found that distasteful.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc