Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2005, 05:04   #1

Boat: gemini 3200
anti multi-hull comments on CSBB forum

Hi folks.

I'm currently looking to make the switch from monohull to cat and found this discussion on the CSBB forum a little confusing. Can anyone comment on this:
http://www.cs-bb.com/forums/CSBB/index.cgi?read=18728?

This comment also got me wondering "I could never tell which way the damn boat was going hop".

thanks for your input!

-dennis
titusville, fl
fla.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 05:28   #2

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
I would charter one for a week or so in the windward or leeward islands. Get the boat off shore during one of the island passages and see how you like it. Make your own decision on if it's good or bad.

I personally did not like the motion off shore but that was me. I am told you get used to it but the motiion is very different than a mono.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 07:53   #3

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Seemed like some good points in that discussion, but a lot of light stuff not worthy of paying attention to.

After going offshore on a few deliveries in monohulls from 30 to 41 feet, I bought a 35' FP Tobago, and have done some serious miles on it (although we have been able to avoid truly serious weather) from the Caribbean to Canada and back. I love it. For the Caribbean, I believe it is the right boat for me. Going downwind in a seaway, it doesn't wallow like the monos I have been on; going up and down the islands, it goes faster and with less motion than the monos I have been on; going upwind in a serious sea, it has a different motion, but not really better or worse than the other boats. Cats can slam going upwind in a sharp sea, and some slam worse than others; but I have been in a monohull (C&C 41) that slammed worse than mine.

A monohull will outpoint me, but I can bear off, have more comfort, go faster, and arrive at the upwind port at about the same time as him/her. The living areas are more airy, light, and with much better visibility. Cocktail hour, our cockpit is more popular than theirs.

When I go for a meal on friend's monos, even the 50-60 foot ones, the motion on their boats is so different that I feel disoriented; especially in the "bowels" of their boats. I am sure the motion on ours feels different to them, and they may not like it.

You will find people raving hard, for and against the catamarans and monomarans, and hopefully, this thread will not go too far in this manner. I guess the advice offered: charter or find some way to try before you buy; is good. The concept of chartering exactly where and how you want to use the future purchase is also smart. I was not able to do that because of economics; and indeed, bought my boat sight unseen but with a thorough survey. I feel I got quite lucky.

Good for you to consider change. If we always do what we always do, we always get what we always get.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 09:01   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
I bought my cat solely because wife and daughter did not like being heeled over, I soon came to like it and now would not change for a mono. They have a diffeent motion that takes getting used to as do most monos - however the motion on a mono that I really used to detest was the rolling when going downwind. The cat doesnt do that.
Old 16-09-2005, 11:04   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
A picture is worth a thousand words

delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 04:40   #6

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Tis true but

I read through the link and it is true that some cats are nothing more than floating condos. BUT, it is also true that some leaners (monos) are floating condos as well.

We have owned both and now will only sail a cat. Just like a leaner you must decide what you are looking for in a boat and its inteneded use. Then select the appropriate quality and fit.

At our marina on the Bay we saw many blue water cruisers that never ever left the dock. Very expensive floating condos, kind of a waste IMO.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote