Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2020, 15:18   #61

Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Antares 44 or Knysna500SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Coconuts View Post
Guys- the first few comments about sloppy marketing I bother didn't reply to because I agreed to an extent, but at this point you're taking it a bit far and dismissing the boat altogether because of it- that is a mistake. The bit about saildrives being an option as listed on their website was earlier in the design stages. It's regrettable that they had that listed as feature for as long as they did (too long), but it's probably a small oversight that you are taking to far.

Huge fan of Seawinds- well thought out boats that try to make things as simple as possible (Thank you). I've met Mr. Ward and he seems to be a straight shooter. My wife and I are looking forward to getting on the 1600 at the upcoming Miami show because we consider it to be our #1 choice for our next boat. It appears to have everything we desire, except that it should have another 8"-10" of bridge deck clearance. Regrettably I suspect this is the only thing that will hold us back. In my dreams I hope that Mr. Ward recognizes that this one deficiency is the only one that is preventing his 1600 from being THE GREATEST cruising cat of all time and creates a 1600 Series 2 with the appropriate BDC. Mr. Ward, if you're listening I've got my check book ready!
Did you end up getting the 1600? It's a gorgeous boat. I'm considering the 1370.
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 14:40   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANJOKA View Post
Perfect Ride, Im also interested in the information. Thanks in forward
Sent you a PM. Rand
Old 01-10-2020, 14:43   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydickinson View Post
Perfect Ride, I am interested in your write up if you still have a copy. Thanks so much
Hi, if you have not already gotten this, please PM me with contact info and I will forward. Best, Rand
Old 02-10-2020, 23:18   #64

Seawind, Balance and now Vision all came out with 45 foot boats this year at almost the exact same price. Antares really need a new hull and pricing to compete, unless you just like the classic look. I doubt the resale will be as good in the future with so many new competitors flooding the market.

Maverick has an interesting layout and the pricing is good but there is too much doubt about build quality, which is affecting resale value, especially on the older 400 and 420s.

The Seawind 1370 with its rock solid reputation is looking good at the moment. If you want dagger boards and the versa helm the balance 442 is hard to beat. Vision seems like a good traditional helm layout but will need a few more years on the market. There is also the Aventura 44 but that helm on that is strange and the quality is more comparable to production boats.

Plenty of boutique options in the 45ft range in the future.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:55   #65

Boat: Discovery 50

Yihang

The Seawind 1370 may well turn out to be a fabulous boat - but - as they haven’t even built one yet I think your comment is a bit over the top -

The Seawind 1370 with its rock solid reputation is looking good
Unquote
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:39   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
Yihang

The Seawind 1370 may well turn out to be a fabulous boat - but - as they haven’t even built one yet I think your comment is a bit over the top -

The Seawind 1370 with its rock solid reputation is looking good
Unquote
I meant Seawind in general. Too late to edit now, oops.

'The Seawind 1370 with seawind's rock solid reputation.....etc etc'

Just noticed Maverick is still using Polyester resins and Plywood bulkheads.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:20   #67

Location: San Francisco Bay Area for me. The boat is in the Caribbean.
Boat: X5+ Catamaran, 53’

I am super late to the party, but throwing in here for posterity. I’ve been on most of the boats discussed at the dock and several under sail. My wife and I chased down boats to see in Miami, Annapolis, and La Grande Motte boat shows and then with a few of the companies themselves who did limited showings. The Seawind 1600 is gorgeous. But, when we were deciding there were none anywhere in the world that they could get us on for a day. We offered flying to Australia and it was not possible. So, we moved on. Sailed on a Privilege Series 5 for a week, an Outremer 50 for a few hours, most of the production cats, and spent a day on an X5. Antares felt too old to us and over-priced. Knysna was really nice, but we ended up preferring a more modern style. Ultimately, we put a deposit down on an X5. Details of the decision process and other ramblings at www.wildrumpussailing.blog
Sbonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 18:34   #68

Boat: Antares 44i - Field Trip

Like Sbonder, I'm also late to the party. I want to jump in regarding the Antares. We've owned our boat for almost nine years, bought her new in Argentina, and liveaboard fulltime. We've loved our boat, and for our family, we would not own any other catamaran. Quality, design, safety, performance have met or exceeded our expectations over the years. Quality becomes more evident, the longer you own a boat. I've walked on other eight-year-old boats, and they look at least eight years old. Our boat and most other Antares still look outstanding many years later, which also helps resale value.

There are always opinions about design, and each person makes their own decision based on personal preferences. In particular, we loved the natural cherry wood interior finish, as it is a classic yacht look, is much warmer, and feels like 'home' to our taste. Some prefer the more modern look, square corners, etc., and that is fine as well. The good news is there are options on the market to meet the diverse demands.

I like to use the example of the Rolex Submariner. It's a design that is classic and hasn't fundamentally changed since 1954 and is still in demand. It's a classic, well-built watch that has stood the test of time. Classic yachts like Hinckley, Oyster, Swan, and others are similar examples.

There is an updated Antares that will be announced later this year for 2021. The fundamental design principals remain, but there are substantial improvements to the electrical systems (dual 12/24 and 120/240), Lithium, redesigned cockpit, and many other updates.

As an owner, it is good to see the Antares team in Argentina works hard to make incremental improvements without unnecessary changes to fundamental design principals that all Antares owners rely on daily as we travel to remote locations around the world.

https://svfieldtrip.blogspot.com
mdsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:52   #69

Boat: Leopard 40

Hi Hartings,

You ordered yet?
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:33   #70

Boat: Discovery 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Hi Hartings,

You ordered yet?

As per a previous post - I bought secondhand in the end
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:44   #71

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
As per a previous post - I bought secondhand in the end
Thanks, I see, 2010 discovery 50. Nice. Good luck.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 12:54   #72

Perfect Ride, I'm also interested in your analysis if available. Thanks in advance!
srogerspgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 03:26   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Ride View Post
Hello Hartings,

I have a write-up/process on selecting a new (new to you) boat that you might find interesting. Even though we ultimately went with the Antares, the write-up can help may the choice that is best for your personal sailing life style. I will send you contact info if interested. Congratulations in advance !!
Hello PerfectRide,

If it is not too late, would like to have your write-up. Currently in process. Need some advice. THANKS.
VovaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 05:52   #74

Boat: Antares 44i

As a post mortem, we purchased a 2010 Antares and are happy with our choice. She definitely does not look her age, and we enjoy comments and compliments wherever we go. What @mdsilvers mentioned is spot on.
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antares