Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2019, 07:47   #46

Re: Antares 44 or Knysna500SE

Hi Hartings, a little late to the party here, but since it's still pre-boat show hopefully this will be useful. We live on an Antares44i and love it. The apartment-like galley down and therefore large saloon is a huge plus. Galley down was one of our criteria and it in no way isolates the person cooking from talking to those in the saloon. We have a PDQ model with the smaller engines which make motoring unhappily slow, but a newer one wouldn't have that problem. We're happy with sailing performance, despite sacrificing some mainsail performance with a furling main. Don't know if a low enough mast height for the ICW is important to you, but it sure is to us and the Antares with it's 61 and change height gives a good margin of comfort. Yes there's a lot of hull windage, but it's worth it for the unbelievable comfort. Love having two standard queen sized beds so no custom sheets. Large closets, large storage, large shower. Don't know how the others you are looking at compare, but the helm seat NOT being up in the stratosphere like on many models is also a big plus. Someone mentioned a Maverick. Test sailed one. Would have had to name it "Rover" or some other canine name. Good luck, I'm sure you'll love whatever you choose.
vivacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:47   #47

Perfect Ride - I'd appreciate you sending me a copy of your process document.

Thanks in advance.
tg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:51   #48

Boat: Knysna 500SE

When choosing a boat you have very few metrics to judge the REAL quality, capability, organization and knowledge of the builder. So sloppy marketing might provide some input.
Old 13-09-2019, 22:54   #49

Boat: Seawind 1160

Good to hear you’re going to the boat show. Going there with an open mind is the smartest thing you can do. There will be a lot of manufacturers there, and many of their leads, including their founders, owners and lead architects will be there. There’s nothing better than sitting down with them, and discussing the finer points of their boats.

Personally, I’m a Seawind owner. The founder and owner, Richard Ward, will be at the show. I would suggest you introduce yourself to him while you’re there, and get the personal walk through. I think you’ll be very impressed.

Rob
robwrongshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 06:59   #50

Boat: Discovery 50
Antares 44 or Knysna500SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwrongshoes View Post
Good to hear you’re going to the boat show. Going there with an open mind is the smartest thing you can do. There will be a lot of manufacturers there, and many of their leads, including their founders, owners and lead architects will be there. There’s nothing better than sitting down with them, and discussing the finer points of their boats.

Personally, I’m a Seawind owner. The founder and owner, Richard Ward, will be at the show. I would suggest you introduce yourself to him while you’re there, and get the personal walk through. I think you’ll be very impressed.

Rob

Seawind seem to be very good boats - built in Vietnam aren’t they ? Lucky you
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 19:12   #51

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

Guys- the first few comments about sloppy marketing I bother didn't reply to because I agreed to an extent, but at this point you're taking it a bit far and dismissing the boat altogether because of it- that is a mistake. The bit about saildrives being an option as listed on their website was earlier in the design stages. It's regrettable that they had that listed as feature for as long as they did (too long), but it's probably a small oversight that you are taking to far.

Huge fan of Seawinds- well thought out boats that try to make things as simple as possible (Thank you). I've met Mr. Ward and he seems to be a straight shooter. My wife and I are looking forward to getting on the 1600 at the upcoming Miami show because we consider it to be our #1 choice for our next boat. It appears to have everything we desire, except that it should have another 8"-10" of bridge deck clearance. Regrettably I suspect this is the only thing that will hold us back. In my dreams I hope that Mr. Ward recognizes that this one deficiency is the only one that is preventing his 1600 from being THE GREATEST cruising cat of all time and creates a 1600 Series 2 with the appropriate BDC. Mr. Ward, if you're listening I've got my check book ready!
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 21:01   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Ride View Post
Hello Hartings,

I have a write-up/process on selecting a new (new to you) boat that you might find interesting. Even though we ultimately went with the Antares, the write-up can help may the choice that is best for your personal sailing life style. I will send you contact info if interested. Congratulations in advance !!
I am very interested to hear your thoughts on a cruising cat. I too am in the market to buy in a couple years.
I have so far, looked seriously at Antares, Knysna, and Maverick. I do like the size of Antares and Maverick for handling and mooring/docking reasons. Over 45' seems to be a "magic number" as far as price goes for that.
I do plan on living and cruising extensively, so safety, quality build, and comfortable living is important.

I thank you in advance,
Pete
At Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 18:55   #53

Hey Hartings, we had an Antares 44e and loved it. The Galley down set-up was wonderful. Protected helm, great visibility, nimble and easy to maneuver, wonderful community of owners to help when you need it. Consider the Furling main, if it's possible, but choose Elvstrom Sails over the UK's; they're bigger and offer better performance. It's a great boat.
ixnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 06:50   #54

Quote:
Hello Hartings,

I have a write-up/process on selecting a new (new to you) boat that you might find interesting. Even though we ultimately went with the Antares, the write-up can help may the choice that is best for your personal sailing life style. I will send you contact info if interested. Congratulations in advance !!
Perfect Ride, I am interested in your write up if you still have a copy. Thanks so much
tydickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 07:00   #55

FWIW we eventually bought a secondhand Discovery 50 Catamaran and are delighted with our choice.
Old 31-05-2020, 01:14   #56

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
FWIW we eventually bought a secondhand Discovery 50 Catamaran and are delighted with our choice.
They are a lovely cat but the second hand price was just too strong for us.
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 18:05   #57

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
Thanks for closing the loop on this! What model year?
IAmGroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 14:56   #58

2010 Hull 001
Old 30-09-2020, 01:47   #59

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Hello Hartings,

I'd love this as well! Will send you PM. Thanks!
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 03:40   #60

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZUS View Post
We bought an Antares and have spent much of the past 3 years crossing the Atlantic and cruising the Med. The more we sail Valleycat, the more things we find that were just done well. If you are comfortable with the money, you will just not find a better made, better conceived or more comfortable boat for couples cruising the world. I’m happy to give you details privately. We’re on our boat on the south coast of Sicily right now.
I value your input on the Antares. Will PM you. Thanks.
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antares