Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2016, 08:18   #61

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Another rare 56' Aerorig cat (Hughes design) for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbri View Post
You know I agree with you about the price, but to assume that the rig would fall down is ludacris. It doesn't take a lot of engineering to properly design a cantilevered beam without breaking. I personally have over 15,000 miles on my cat with two freestanding masts. No breakage yet!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
To be clear, I don't mean with my previous post that this kind of freestanding mast is going to fall down, bad stuff happen even in production cats , question will be if the spar maker is still in bussines on how expensive,available parts . etc,,,
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 13:16   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbri View Post
You know I agree with you about the price, but to assume that the rig would fall down is ludacris. It doesn't take a lot of engineering to properly design a cantilevered beam without breaking. I personally have over 15,000 miles on my cat with two freestanding masts. No breakage yet!

No NO, the rig has already failed and fallen down once..

This is a new one.

I'm sure the first was engineered and built by professionals.

Quite obviously fewer failure points mean that any failure is pretty much catastrophic.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 14:08   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
No NO, the rig has already failed and fallen down once..

This is a new one.

I'm sure the first was engineered and built by professionals.

Quite obviously fewer failure points mean that any failure is pretty much catastrophic.
If it's been repaired once, it can be repaired once more. The only question - how many digits will be on the bill.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 14:31   #64

Another rare 56' Aerorig cat (Hughes design) for sale

Okay, I get that you don't like the boat. You think a used Lagoon is worth more. You wouldn't pay that much for the boat. But, why do you care? Why do you seem so worried that somebody else might see the value in the boat? If the owners don't want to sell it for less, why does it matter to you?

Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 14:36   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
If it's been repaired once, it can be repaired once more. The only question - how many digits will be on the bill.
No NOT REPAIRED. REPLACED.

If this doesn't discourage one, then try reading Steve Dashews comments on an Aero Rig fitted to one of his Snndeer yachts.

Note this is when $100,000 was actually a lot of money.

Quote "For us, the bottom line is cost. Is this an efficient way to chase performance and/or ease of handling? As the costs are extremely high compared to a simple aluminum rig (probably a premium in excess of US$100,000), the answer for is no. However, if cost is not a major issue, then we’ll make a few other comments.

The system appears easy to sail with, i.e. the single control line. However, in an offshore context I am not sure that this is much of an advantage as things are happening slowly, with a great deal of space in which to manoeuvre.

The biggest complaint we have heard is about noise and slatting of the entire rig when sailing downwind. You have this huge, heavy structure, penetrating the deck, and constantly moving. I’m sure they have or will make improvements in this, but so far the AeroRig appears a bit noisy.

A number of owners have told us that in spite of vanging and preventers, the rig flops around quite a bit in sloppy conditions–more than a conventional rig would. As sloppy downwind weather is fairly common on passaging, this makes the noise issues below even worse."

You can't just go out on a Saturday morning and buy a new aero rig.
If the previous one failed the process begins with lawyers and then the commissioning of a new engineer/custom builder.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 14:37   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I see many posts here and I am reminded of the comment about the Falklands war,

"Its like two bald men arguing over a comb".
Factor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 14:40   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Okay, I get that you don't like the boat. You think a used Lagoon is worth more. You wouldn't pay that much for the boat. But, why do you care? Why do you seem so worried that somebody else might see the value in the boat? If the owners don't want to sell it for less, why does it matter to you?

Exactly. I wouldn't pay that for it either. I wouldn't pay that much for ANY boat. But that doesn't mean that nobody else will, or that no boat is worth that much.

And to sit at a computer keyboard and say "I've looked at lot's of pictures, and I know exactly how much every boat is worth".... frankly, is idiocy.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 15:00   #68

Guys, this is DISCUSSION board. And I don't think you have ANY right in the world to tell me what and how to discuss and even less right to tell me what should I do (without me asking for advice). Regardless of your experience, amount of boats you had owned and amount of women you f***d.
You don't like my posts, my arguments, than just ignore my posts. As discussion shows, there are enough knowledgeable and intelligent people to chat with, without personal harassment.

Yes, I can and WILL discuss boat prices, features and fair market value. From my own point of view. This is very interesting for me and other new buyers. There's huge amount of stupidly overpriced boats on the market, for sale for 2-3-6 an more years! That's REGARDLESS how nice the boat is. Even nicest boat can be overpriced.

So the point is - don't tell me what should I do and I won't tell you where should you go.
Old 15-05-2016, 15:03   #69

But, aren't you telling me what I should and shouldn't do?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 15:05   #70

Yep it's a discussion board. You can post what you like, and when it's stupid, we can call it so.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 15:08   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
No NOT REPAIRED. REPLACED.

If this doesn't discourage one, then try reading Steve Dashews comments on an Aero Rig fitted to one of his Snndeer yachts.

Note this is when $100,000 was actually a lot of money.

Quote "For us, the bottom line is cost. Is this an efficient way to chase performance and/or ease of handling? As the costs are extremely high compared to a simple aluminum rig (probably a premium in excess of US$100,000), the answer for is no. However, if cost is not a major issue, then we’ll make a few other comments.

The system appears easy to sail with, i.e. the single control line. However, in an offshore context I am not sure that this is much of an advantage as things are happening slowly, with a great deal of space in which to manoeuvre.

The biggest complaint we have heard is about noise and slatting of the entire rig when sailing downwind. You have this huge, heavy structure, penetrating the deck, and constantly moving. I’m sure they have or will make improvements in this, but so far the AeroRig appears a bit noisy.

A number of owners have told us that in spite of vanging and preventers, the rig flops around quite a bit in sloppy conditions–more than a conventional rig would. As sloppy downwind weather is fairly common on passaging, this makes the noise issues below even worse."

You can't just go out on a Saturday morning and buy a new aero rig.
If the previous one failed the process begins with lawyers and then the commissioning of a new engineer/custom builder.
Many things are overpriced until they become mainstream. I personally would love to try wingsail. This aerorig seems to be some kind of compromise between conventional sail and wingsail.
Old 15-05-2016, 15:25   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Yep it's a discussion board. You can post what you like, and when it's stupid, we can call it so.
I can call your comments exactly the same. You don't have any idea about fair market value (of anything, boats included), you (same as me) haven't seen this particular boat, you have no idea at all about boats priced at $700K+ (as you just pointed you're "not interested" in these). But you're saying that I'm wrong (and stupid as you just posted), and additionally, that I should shut up and do not discuss overpriced boats because you don't think they're overpriced or you think I have no right to discuss them. Only very stupid people instead of subject discussion start discussing posters. Note that until this post I didn't do any personal harassments or comments. I'm discussing boat, you've started to discuss me. Fine, I can deal with that. Just don't be surprised to receive same feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
But, aren't you telling me what I should and shouldn't do?
I'm not the one in this discussion who started personal harassment. But if you think I'll just swallow any sh** you throw on me, you just wrong.
Old 15-05-2016, 15:34   #73

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

So what exactly did you want to discuss? How you, as a non boat owner, are so genius about boat pricing?
Why did you start this thread? Why don't you go buy your lagoon and enjoy? 👍🏽

solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 15:40   #74

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

Or maybe it was to disparage anyone who has taken a chance and bought or built a cat that is out of the ordinary?

solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 15:41   #75

I showed interesting and rare boat I've found to these who might be interested. And simply pointed that it's overpriced (and NOT ME, but market proofed that - 6 years on the market means it's NOWHERE close to fair market price). And this simple (and impossible to argue with) statement drove some board members crazy.
And let me ask you why you so worried that I've compared this boat with Lagoon? Is it something prohibited?

Tags
for sale, Hughes, sale