Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 01:41   #1

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Another Homebuilt Multihull Barge Whatchamacallit

This group wants to strap a couple of barges together and build an ark lookin' thing. The barges will be separated from each other leaving a "channel" between them. It will be powered by paddle wheels in the "channel" because everyone knows these are better than propellers. At the other end of the channel will be more paddle wheels which will work off all that free energy created by the first set and will power a generator from the current of water rushing down the channel. There is something also about sails in the channel but physics was never my strong suit so I'll just let you PHDs explain it to me. They will then "sail" this to Alaska.
Eventually they want to get 4 barges grouped together. That would give you 3 channels which would generate 3 times as much electricity! It will practically move itself!
Here's a pic. I think that is the front. Those pointy things could be rudders, though.
Pacific Iceberg
"Pacific Iceberg"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barge1.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	71573  
Old 05-12-2013, 01:59   #2

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer
Re: Another Homebuilt Multihull Barge Whatchamacallit

A bit of a problem with your theory. There is no "free" energy. The water you move through your channel by one paddle wheel can used by a smaller paddle to produce electricity, but is slows the movement of water reduces the effectiveness of the first paddle.
Unless you have a divine force helping; maybe JC kicking his feet on the stern, I don't think this is going to get you to the promised land.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:35   #3

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
A bit of a problem with your theory. There is no "free" energy. The water you move through your channel by one paddle wheel can used by a smaller paddle to produce electricity, but is slows the movement of water reduces the effectiveness of the first paddle.
Unless you have a divine force helping; maybe JC kicking his feet on the stern, I don't think this is going to get you to the promised land.
Since when do aussies not understand sarcasm? We are one of the more sarcastic cultures on the planet.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:35   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Thanks for this Sandcrab, it is too, too funny. I wouldn't worry about them too much - when the 'Pacific Iceberg' breaks apart, I'm sure they plan to walk the rest of the way to Alaska on water.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:32   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

I think they should go for Nuclear power and maybe a Catapilar drive like "Red October" had...
Old 05-12-2013, 06:48   #6
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

reminds me of this:
Freedom Ship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
lol
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:06   #7

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I think you must have mistakenly included a picture of Des Moines High School in the first post.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:15   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

So they are actually building a barge. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cutting edge technology I tell ya.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:17   #9

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
I think you must have mistakenly included a picture of Des Moines High School in the first post.
Huh???

PS
-21 degrees Fahrenheit right now with a wind chill of 40 below. Screwed up my shoulder and may not be able to ski at all this winter. Probably have surgery next week. I hate being old.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:19   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Now this is a barge set-up that I wish I could join: Continuously Cruising River City (The Marquette)
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:49   #11

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Huh???

PS
-21 degrees Fahrenheit right now with a wind chill of 40 below. Screwed up my shoulder and may not be able to ski at all this winter. Probably have surgery next week. I hate being old.
Looks like your typical modern high school:
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:31   #12

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I know we shouldn't really examine this too closely, but. . . . I wonder how they have planned to deal with flexing of the structure. It seems they'll have rigid home-framed type structures built atop a platform of floating plastic boxes. How in the world can they keep the plane of the deck from going all wiggly in the slightest of seas?
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:04   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

They should buy the Flyin Hawaian as a base.... Then put a lumber mill on board.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:27   #14

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

Not to say that this particular iteration of an oldish (1960's) idea is a workable vision, but it raises the question, whats wrong with vision? I think we too quickly scoff at future looking notions. It sure in hell doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that we had better come up with a new vision soon or we're F--ked. Every area of our civilized life style is completely unsustainable. Every level of the ecosystems, political systems and Economic systems that we depend on for our very existence are in decline or crisis. The one obvious fly in the ointment with this idea is that a devine savior is going to bring the project through to fruition. God isin't helping the 40% percent of Americans struggling to stay above the poverty line, didn't save us from the crash of 2008, Katrina/Sandy came and went, the situation just keeps getting ratcheted up and we are trying to keep the sand out of our ears while burying our heads in said sand. This isn't a political comment in the least. That's all HS and nonsense. Al Einstien said, "You can't change the problems of today using the thinking that got you into those problems", we need new thingking. This is not politics, it's a reality check. Three things, actions, are going to make a difference. 1. Get out of denial and out of the box. As in creative thinking like this idea, and hopefully better ideas with less magic involved. 2. Conserve what is left. Curtail cunsuming and rampent glottony. 3. Science and engineering. We have the technology to solve most of the issue's right now. We need to continually move forward. Put God back in church and leaders back in office. If we spent all the money spent on Americas wars over the last fifteen years we could have completely rebuilt the electrical grid and wind and solarized this nation. Now I don't expect this to stay on the board very long, "too political", but it's not political at all, in the least, zip. I encourage these people to continue with thier good work, get some qualified people involved and utilized all that creative energy towards something that is doable. The Wright Bro's, Jonas Salk, Linus Pauling, Al Einstien, and on and on, didn't do what they did for money, they did it because it was what needed to be done. The improbable, the unlikely, the required. So take the scoffing and ridicule and put that energy to better use. This really is an idea, that hasn't made it to the oven to get half baked. Keep trying.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:46   #15

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
I got it snort, too funny!

Tags
cal, hatch, hull, multihull