Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2014, 10:42   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Re: Annapolis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
We are staying at a hotel in Baltimore.. so, we will drive in everyday... I know.. parking is going to suck..
Get to the Navy lot early and parking isn't too bad.

Traffic in Baltimore might be worse.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 10:43   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Dinner's better in Baltimore and it's not as crowded so no waiting for a table.
I can't disagree with you on dinner being better in Baltimore! But the restaurant scene here has upped its game a lot in the past few years and most of the better places you won't get into on a Friday or Saturday night without a reservation or a wait.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 12:17   #18

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Just booked my trip! Can't wait to go. Anyone else going? Any tips for surviving the crowds?
You'll be welcome in Annapolis. Glad you're coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
If you're coming during the boat show and want to avoid the crowds, consider going during the VIP day, which is the day before general admission.
I don't agree. The head count is lower but the attitude can be offputing. My preference is Friday and Monday. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Consider parking at one of the marinas on Back Creek and taking the water taxi around to Spa Creek. I think it's $5/person each way. Otherwise you're going to have to pay to park and STILL walk a mile.
The water taxi from Back Creek is anywhere between $5 and $8 depending on how far up the creek you are.

The marinas will either charge your for parking (a lot) or tow you (a whole lot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Or they could park at the school in Eastport just across the Spa Creek bridge for the same 20 bucks.
Agreed. Eastport Elementary School is the best deal going for parking, especially if you end up eating dinner in Eastport. Street parking in Eastport and Old Annapolis is chewed up with vendors who come in and park after unloading and setting up and then walk to the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
You just have to watch the parking restriction signs and find an area on the side streets where it's OK to stay all day.
Darn tootin' - Annapolis tickets and tows like mad during boat show. They also run fire trucks through Eastport to make sure access is maintained and will close off access if things get too tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Haven't been for many years but we always stayed in Baltimore and drove into the parking area in the outskirts of Annapolis and took the shuttle bus in. Does anyone know if this is still possible?
That is the Naval Academy stadium parking lot. The contract is negotiated every year and sometimes comes down to the wire. You'll see highway signs coming into Annapolis directing you to offsite parking. As noted, the buses usually stop running shortly after the show closes. There are public buses that run to the stadium (I think the rate is up to $3) - you can get maps online or at the Harbormaster's office in the middle of the show.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 12:36   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Wear shoes that you can take off and put back on easily. Many of the boat reps will require you to remove them before climbing aboard. And make sure you wear shoes you can recognize in a crowd. There can be a pretty large pile of shoes at the end of the boarding ramp and lots of folks were almost identical boat shoes.
Old 14-08-2014, 12:58   #20

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

[QUOTE=Auspicious;1606027]You'll be welcome in Annapolis. Glad you're coming.

I don't agree. The head count is lower but the attitude can be offputing. My preference is Friday and Monday. YMMV.

QUOTE]

thank you!! we are very excited! I think we will come on Thursday and Friday. I totally understand about the attitude. My husband and I always get a kick out of it. The sales folks always navigate towards the "well dressed" folks. You know the kind.. the ones who look like they just walked out of a spa. Well.. my husband and I don't look like that at all.. funny thing is.. we can afford those boats too. It ends up being kind of nice because the sales folks turn their nose up at us, and leave us alone.. so we poke our noses into all the nooks and cranny's unencumbered by sales men...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 05:00   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

So how's the affair with your cat going Scarlett? Maybe that as another thread, but am interested in your experience as the admiral and I are planning to do the same in 24 months (buy a < 40' multihull, coastal hop based out of SE FL).

We went to the show for first time last year and yes, VIP day definitely plus the next day is plenty of time to fit in what ever your show objectives are.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 05:02   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

See you there on the Wednesday and Thursday. I will be on the Seawind and Corsair Stand. Really looking forward to it.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 07:35   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
See you there on the Wednesday and Thursday. I will be on the Seawind and Corsair Stand. Really looking forward to it.
Oh COOL!!! I will definitely come and talk..
Old 15-08-2014, 07:43   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
So how's the affair with your cat going Scarlett? Maybe that as another thread, but am interested in your experience as the admiral and I are planning to do the same in 24 months (buy a < 40' multihull, coastal hop based out of SE FL).

We went to the show for first time last year and yes, VIP day definitely plus the next day is plenty of time to fit in what ever your show objectives are.
Hey RK!!

So.. We don't have a Cat yet... but we are working towards it... we bought a small (22') sailboat in may, and have been sailing pretty regularly as we learn how. Since it is a small boat, we have gotten a really good balance between sailing, and fixin' stuff..

The best thing about owning a 30 year old sailboat? in a marina where everyone else owns 20-30 year old sailboats? we have been very humbled, and realized that we can get a really good CAT that is an older model. Which will save us a lot of money. So... we've changed our goals a bit.

That being said.. the shows are still an education. That's where we get to see the quality on different builders, and get questions asked. Build relationships with brokers... network with other sailers.. take some classes. It's a great experience.. so if you and the Admiral decide to go.. drop me a note and we can meet up! I would love to talk about our mutual plans!
Old 15-08-2014, 23:14   #25

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Congratulations Factor. Hope Seawind are paying your way.

Envious.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 08:54   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

As a vendor who works a booth, what ever day it rains or threatens to rain is ALWAYS the best day to go because the crowds will be less, the booths will be less packed, and what's a little rain to a sailor with some weather gear">foul weather gear?!? Besides you have the Pain Killers to help keep you warm...just do me a favor and bring one over to Booth H13!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 09:03   #27

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
As a vendor who works a booth, what ever day it rains or threatens to rain is ALWAYS the best day to go
Rich is right. It's better for the vendors also because it keeps the tire kickers home and pretty much everyone that shows up is serious.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 02:29   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Congratulations Factor. Hope Seawind are paying your way.

Envious.
I wish!!
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 09:28   #29

Quote:
We are staying at a hotel in Baltimore.. so, we will drive in everyday... I know.. parking is going to suck..
Actually, they have that figured out pretty well. Park at the Naval Academy Football Stadium and take the free shuttle bus into the downtown, where a car is not needed.
Marc
marc g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 18:23   #30
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Hey, I'll be working the Super Wind and Sun Ware booth. Stop by and say "Hey"
I'll be coming over to see you as well Rich.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis