Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2016, 03:56   #1

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo
Anchors & Multihulls

Hi all,

After 9 trains and 150 miles driving in the traffic hell that sometimes encases London my wife and I finally managed to pay almost double for the plane tickets needed to get us to the boat show">Miami boat show.

Some of you may know me to be looking for a cat so we wandered round the Strictly sail section only and had a look at the wonderful selection there. Opinions were gained on every model we saw resulting in some being dismissed immediately and some making their way right up our desire list.

What I would like to ask people here is what they feel about the location of anchors on cats... and whether it makes much of a difference? Some at the show had the winch set back and a long chain on top of the boat to the anchor down a hole at the front. I was worried that this "loose" chain atop of the cat may flick and crash back down on the top of the boat damaging it?

Others seemed to have most of the set up in one place (set back) with no chance of the above problems but (maybe?) a more centralised anchor point making the need for a good bridle set up and increasing the chances of the chain catching the hull or (I imagine) making changing the anchor a much bigger job?

Now I am very much a novice regarding these things so I would like a little input or opinion from people about what they feel is the better set up.

Heath
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 04:16   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Anchors & Multihulls

The two cats I've spent a length of time on both have the same setup, anchor rollers on the forward cross beam, and a modest length of chain running above the trampoline back to the windlass and anchor lockers, which were immediately aft of the trampoline.

We left the working anchor in place unless we were doing more than a day sail or were expecting bouncy conditions. I haven't tried any other setups, but after thinking about it I don't believe I'd want to change.

I usually put a bit of tension on the rode to secure the anchor. You can also put a strip of Sunbrella or similar material on the tramp to prevent chafe.
Old 23-02-2016, 13:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
What I would like to ask people here is what they feel about the location of anchors on cats... and whether it makes much of a difference? Some at the show had the winch set back and a long chain on top of the boat to the anchor down a hole at the front. I was worried that this "loose" chain atop of the cat may flick and crash back down on the top of the boat damaging it?

Heath
Keep some tension in the chain, and it never happens.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 13:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I like the Belize setup (what a surprise

Keeps the foredeck clear, no chain on deck, weigh more centred, I attach the bridle from inside the anchor/chain locker.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 14:13   #5

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I like the Belize setup (what a surprise

Keeps the foredeck clear, no chain on deck, weigh more centred, I attach the bridle from inside the anchor/chain locker.
Can you use a roll bar anchor with that setup?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 14:34   #6
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Personally, I prefer the anchor releasing over the forward cross member. Easier to clean, easier to attach/detach a bridle, no chafe on the bows in wind shifts and easier to attach a second anchor in heavy conditions, or change the anchor if you have a preferecne on certain bottoms or in certain conditions.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 15:08   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Three basic approaches.

1. Up over the forebeam, easy to see, easy to clean, easy to inspect, easy to clear debris, easy to change anchors
2. Up to bridgedeck, not easy to see, not easy to clean, not easy to inspect not easy to clear debris, not easy to change anchors
3. up to one bow (ala Nautitech) really really silly having all that weight that far forward,
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 17:08   #8

Boat: FP Lipari, 11.95 metres

Another issue with the roller back at the bridgedeck is that it makes it very difficult to weigh in windy conditions. The wind tends to swing the bows over the chain causing it to jam in the roller and drag against the hull once the weight is off the bridle. Much better on the beam for my money.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Takamoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 17:30   #9

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Under the bridgedeck moves the weight off the bow and keeps the chain in the locker where it belongs.

If you can't clean or inspect the anchor when it's under the bridgedeck then you have the wrong net. How can it be hard to clean? The wash down hose is 2' away in the chain locker? Inspect it? You can sit on it!

If you have a problem with the chain dragging on the hull in the wind, then you are doing it wrong. Yep, when it's windy, it's a 2 person task.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 18:17   #10

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Under the bridgedeck moves the weight off the bow and keeps the chain in the locker where it belongs.

If you can't clean or inspect the anchor when it's under the bridgedeck then you have the wrong net. How can it be hard to clean? The wash down hose is 2' away in the chain locker? Inspect it? You can sit on it!

If you have a problem with the chain dragging on the hull in the wind, then you are doing it wrong. Yep, when it's windy, it's a 2 person task.
Your last point is why ill second the anchor on the cross beam. Used both and when the winds up you do need a spotter up forward for the under bridgdeck mounting option or its all too easy to rub some antifoul off with the chain (or worse). With the anchor off the cross beam and a windlass control on the helm its a one person operation even in a gale.

Ours is mounted under the crossbeam and runs from the bridgedeck opening under the tramp to a roller under the beam. Remove a split pin on the roller and the anchor can go all the way back to the bridgedeck opening so best of both worlds. I thought i would do this for passages but so far not bothered as to put it back on the bow roller would involve using the tender. Maybe for the atlantic.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 19:21   #11

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
..... I thought i would do this for passages but so far not bothered as to put it back on the bow roller would involve using the tender. ...
Can't use a spare line under the net to re-deploy the chain over the bow roller?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 19:39   #12

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro

Our Bahia has this same setup as and yes we do have a Super Sarca anchor with roll bar. Fitted perfectly with no alterations required. (note: the shank width on another brand did not fit the standard opening).

Agree with DotDun, it is a two person task, but we need someone up there to clear the chain from piling up so may as well call the chain as well. We use a few simple hand signals - NO YELLING

We find the extra catenary effect of the chain off the bridle a bonus as well, especially in shallow water in a big blow.

Have seen, admired and considered Barra's setup but decided to stay with what we have for now. Both setups have advantages and disadvantages (weight up front vs potential sawing of chain on the hull - which we still haven't quite managed yet ), etc but I don't see either setup as a deal breaker.

Cheers
Lisa
Old 23-02-2016, 19:54   #13
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Even before buying Palarran I've liked cats that had a solid gangway from the bridgedeck to the fore beam which held the anchor chain. I was lucky to get one and would put a pretty good priority on that feature. The negative is in really heavy seas because the waves can break up against the bottom of the gangway. It's super easy to put the bridle on, though we didn't in this photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0038.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	119502   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0440-001.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	119503  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2205.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	119504  
Old 23-02-2016, 20:17   #14

Boat: between boats

Thats cos your a bigger unit than most though mate

Good ballast for kite surfing though...

I have a sailing buddy that doesnt like being on my tramp when offshore as hes worried it will give way but he does tip the scales at 160kg (350pounds) For him your set up with a central gangway would be the only way to go but probably still wouldnt get him to help with the spinnaker set.

Likewise he doesnt trust my gangway too much either.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 22:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post

Even if the anchor stays on the forebeam, in most cases the chain locker is well aft. Except in the older Nautitech models, as Factor said.

With an "under the tramp, into the bridge deck" system, how would you extract the anchor from a submerged shopping trolley? I've had great difficulty with this task with an anchor on the forebeam and you can't just hose it off. I know, I get to all the great cruising destinations!

No matter where the anchor is located, I believe in retaining it without constant chain tension on the anchor windlass. Not good for a long lived windlass. I use a stainless steel ratchet strap to take the tension after the anchor is retrieved. To answer the OPs question; no, the chain has never jumped or flayed around.

I just wish I knew how to stop the boat sailing up the anchor, causing the bridle to push against the prodder stays and making a lot of noise.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, hull, multihull