Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2006, 16:50   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
anchoring a trimaran

note for Kai Nui
I have had a bit of experience with my Brown Searunner. If I anchor with just one line off the bow the boat will sail around quite a bit but using a bridle it will stay put very well. I drop my anchor off the bow and back down to set it. Take a second line and use a rolling hitch to attach it to the main anchor line and let out enough on both so the knot is at the water . Tie the other end of the second line to one ama or the other. I use this setup for short stays in good weather. If expecting windy conditions or for longer stays I would attach the main anchor line to one ama to get a wider bridle. Your Piver has less beam than my Searunner so anchoring from the main hull and an ama may or may not be as effective as ama to ama. There are lots of ways to attach the bridle to the anchor line I tend to use the rolling hitch , do what ever works for you. As far as anchoring from the stern I think it would be noiser with waves slapping the stern . It would also be harder to sail off the anchor if you wanted or needed to.
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 17:11   #2
Kai Nui

Thanks for that Steve. Good info. As for the stern anchor, we do not have an aft cabin on this boat, and the main berth is over the connecter, so waves slapping the amma will be more noticable than those slapping the transom (I think). That, and I hate rolling at anchor. I would much prefer a hobby horse motion, it anything. I realize that the tri will not roll like a mono, or at least that is my hope, but I still do better with the fore and aft motion.
What size Brown do you have?
Old 15-02-2006, 22:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
My Searunner is the 40 footer. The tri will be more comfortable in a rolly anchorage. They do have a quicker pitching movement for and aft in a steep chop but all in all I think you will find it to have a more comfortable motion than a monohull. Sailing downwind in 6-8 foot seas at 12 knots and setting my beer down next to me and not having it spill says something. I still have a 22foot mono and a 16 foot racing dinghy so I have a foot in both camps.
Jim Brown was one of the youg guys that hung around with Art Piver in San Fransisco in the late fifties. He sailed a 24 foot Piver Nugget to Cabo San Lucas in what may have been the first long voyage in a modern trimaran around 1958-9. Our boats have a little common heritage.
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 22:57   #4
Kai Nui

Allot more than you know. The builder of my Piver consulted extensively with Jim Brown to modify the Lodestar plans. Mine is a mutt. It is a Piver design with Brown improvements, and a few other minor changes. I am looking forward to seeing how well it lives up to the brochure We are getting close. Didn't make the January launch, but we are shooting for April.
Old 15-02-2006, 23:55   #5

Well, I hope that you finish her up in time for April. Thats 2 months away!!

I just might be available around April. Right about around the middle of that month. Might be back out there in California.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, trimaran