Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2018, 12:41   #1

Anchoring a Bali 4.0

Has anyone sailed on a Bali 4.0 much? We are looking at chartering one, and I was concerned by one thing I read in an otherwise positive review by Cruising World:
"On the boat we sailed, this forward cockpit introduced a couple of challenges around the anchor, which exits the hull several feet aft from the bow. The first challenge was to connect an anchor bridle; doing so required a second person to get off the boat and into a dinghy, as there was no other way to reach the anchor roller and chain from the deck. The second challenge came when we sailed into the wind and waves. Seawater entering through the anchor roller soaked the boat’s propane tank, genset and genset starter battery in a forward compartment, all of which showed signs of corrosion."

I asked the charter company about it, and they said that they don't know about it, as no one has complained.

So if anyone can shed light on this issue, (or any other with this boat) it would be appreciated.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 16:53   #2

Boat: Lagoon 420
Re: Anchoring a Bali 4.0

Well we are anchored in Bequia and when we got back to our boat this afternoon there was a Bali with a French flag anchored about 20’ off our port side! Didn’t see how they anchored but they did it somehow?!
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:11   #3

Ok thanks. I don’t see why one couldn’t tie a line on it and cleat it off, then pull it out when you need the anchor. That article just had me wondering.

Anyone else with experience on this cat?
Old 10-02-2018, 08:40   #4

OK that was poorly described. I guess you lower the anchor using the windlass, and once there is enough scope out to enable reaching it with a boat hook, you could pull it up to within reach on the bow, then attach a bridle.

Surely someone has experience with this boat.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:52   #5

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Is not like the other cats with centrally mounted anchors?

The bridle is attached to the cleats on either hull, then taken back up through the hole where anchor roller it.

You drop anchor, let out your desired rode minus the bridle length, then attached the bridle to the chain that is now sitting on the roller, and let out the rest.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 17:52   #6

Apparently that is just it. The rode is not on the roller where you can reach it. It is on the roller, but the roller is way under the boat. Other cats do not have that as far as I know.

I am not saying it is a problem, but having never seen this boat I was going by what that article said The charter company said that they have not had anyone complain I was just hoping someone had sailed on one and knew.
Old 19-02-2018, 13:40   #7
yar

I've anchored the 4.3 many times (it's basically the same setup). The bridle is attached to a small fixing up through the hawse (hole where the chain passes through the front of the hull), when you have the amount of chain that you desire out, you just detach the bridle clip and put it under the chain and lower the chain out (while holding the bridle line in tension so the clip doesn't slip off) until the chain is suspended on the bridle.

If you drop the bridle during anchoring or don't put enough tension on it you might need to get the dinghy out, but we've also successfully recovered it by sticking your arm down through the hawse and someone else swinging it up to your hand.
yar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 13:49   #8

Boat: between boats

When med mooring in tight harbours like the med its pretty common to have crossed chains and have to untangle them from the bow when one boat wants to leave or reset the anchor. This set up sounds like it would be a nightmare to deal with due to lack of access in that situation and since its a charter boat its even more likely to end up in crossed chains.

no thanks!
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 22:02   #9

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4730.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	164517

I chartered the Bali 4.3 in St. Vincent and the Grenadines. It’s very similar to the 4.0. You can see the bridal setup in this photo. It’s hooked on to a padeye in the roller locker. Just attached the bridal from within the locker and then pay out some more chain. If you drop it, you can get it with a boat hook or jump in the water.
Old 21-02-2018, 08:00   #10

Thank you all. This is exactly the info that I was after.

To me it looks like it will not be a problem.

BS'er

Tags
anchor, anchoring