Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 20:46   #61

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Re: Anchor bridle length

Mirage Geko, what was the reason that those conditions put you off the soft shackle. That aside sounds like you got caught by a front. I bet that was a dodgy day
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 00:24   #62

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3
Re: Anchor bridle length

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
Mirage Geko, what was the reason that those conditions put you off the soft shackle. That aside sounds like you got caught by a front. I bet that was a dodgy day
Dodgy day alright can honestly say it was the worst night at anchor and subsequent trip we have ever had.We anchored at about 5 pm in less than 10 knots of wind with nothing forecast for 24 hrs that all changed about midnight when the wind got up to about 25 and continued to build and the waves increased until they both combined to cause us and all others in the bay to drag anchor .
The S type hook we now use on the bridle is very simple to fit or remove and hands are near the chain for a very short time in fact you can mostly release it by only using the bridle to push it out of the chain.Main reason we did not continue to use a hard shackle was the fiddling around it sometimes takes.That episode had me thinking a soft shakle could have similar complications for release and even though someone suggested you could cut it away if needed I really don't want either of us on board playing around with a blade in those conditions.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, bridle