Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 11:44   #16

one way good - one way bad

That's just what happened before the other way round.
We are back to the exchange rates before the US housing crash, something like early 2007.

If we can get the Greek debt crisis resolved you can watch the EUR rise again. But if this crisis expands to the other questionable EU states you can watch the EUR fall much further.
So place your chips. Rien ne va plus....
shnean66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 13:38   #17
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvermike66 View Post
Am I crazy or is it cheaper to buy a Cat in Europe and sail it back to the US? Can I save money buy doing this?
Thanks for any advice!
Cheers!
Well, with the sinking Euro... maybe. But, In reality, probably not. As we all know, you can't buy a boat long distance as you have no idea of what you're buying. Condition of the boat and delamination issues are just a couple of things, and then of course there's the price of repowering a Cat. In addition, you will have to pay to rewire the boat to 110 volts.

Lastly the cost of sailing the southern route home .... 3500 miles. Add it up and you're better off staying close to home.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 13:50   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
If you buy a new boat in the EU you can get the VAT refunded or in some cases where a scheme exists , not pay the VAT in the first place. This does not applly to secondhand boats.
That's because VAT is (essentially) a sales tax and is only levied on NEW items. Second hand items - even boats - have no VAT liability.

Where it can get confusing is that VAT can be levied on services, as well, so a broker who sells a second hand product can charge VAT on his service charge or fee, but not the product.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 14:13   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
This Euro situation is starting to look pretty crazy. I have a hard time thinking that the fundamentals in the EU are as "bad" as the Euro's free-fall would indicate. Or, is this also somehow relative to where the USD has been over the last couple of years?

I apologize if this contributes to thread-drift, but I'd love to hear from some of the more financially astute forum members about what they think. (I do not think of myself as financially astute -- far from it!)

But, back on topic for a moment -- if you've been seriously considering an EU boat, this may very well be your time to strike a deal.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 15:13   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
This Euro situation is starting to look pretty crazy. I have a hard time thinking that the fundamentals in the EU are as "bad" as the Euro's free-fall would indicate.
I think that it's all up to Germany's Parliament. If they vote to bail out Greece, the Euro will rebound. If they vote not to, the EU may be finished as an economic zone and their currency disappears... as Portugal and Spain defaults are right around the corner. There is a ton of political capital being spent on this very issue right now.

If I were a betting man..... I'd bet Greece will get bailed out and the Euro is here to stay.
Old 06-05-2010, 16:01   #21

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
As of 18:00 today that 400KEuro boat was US$309K. Roughly half of what it cost last week.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 16:28   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
As of 18:00 today that 400KEuro boat was US$309K. Roughly half of what it cost last week.
Unfortunately I believe there is was a small error in your calculations...

The euro is worth (only) 1.2628 dollars. So to convert euro to USD we MULTIPLY by 1.2628, not divide...

So (according to todays WSJ currency close) that 400K euro is 505.12K USD.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 18:50   #23
cruiser

$505K is about right, but there's a rumor this evening published on CNBC that as of 6:00PM EST, there are no European banks making loans of any kind.
Old 06-05-2010, 19:15   #24

Boat: Purchasing a 40-44' Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasandre View Post
a half hour later now its worth $508000 at this rate it will be free in about a week
Wouldn't that be nice. Ooops better book my flight...ha!
Denvermike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 20:29   #25

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Ooops, better cancel that order I just put in. Thanks for the heads up.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:52   #26

Location: My residence is in Vancouver Washington. Have a floating home on Hayden Island in Portland so the Hailing Port is Portland OR
Boat: Jeanneau, Sun Odyssey 43 Deck Salon - Gemini Daze
Import Duty

While the VAT is not charged to a non-eu citizen or if it is you send in a form and get it back. Most marine title companies can handle the paperwork. Surveyor may be the real challenge. I.e. finding one in EU that your bank and title company will work with. Import is about 1.8% and don't forget your sales/excise tax from the state you are living in or will moore it in. BTW if you forget to pay the sales/excise tax it will double when they catch you!

I would start looking around the States as there are several that the owners are updside down on or may be going into foreclosure.

That is what I did. Found a Lagoon 440 on a short sale and save $100K.

Gemini
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:02   #27

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Okay armchair economists...
The Euro is dropping. That does not mean that everything gets cheaper. Things like cars, boats, cameras, etc, etc... have "real" or "capitol" value. Simply stated, when currency devaluation occurs inflation kicks in.
So the boat that cost 500 Euro will cost 750 Euro with a 50% currency devalue.
Hotels, restaraunts, shoes, and other commodities will be a bargan but durable goods will index to the economy.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:12   #28

If you have plans to buy a boat in Europe, don´t forget to compare prices in countries without euro. Because right now both the euro and dollar goes up compares with many not euro contries. So dont forget to look at this...

UK
Denmark
Norway (not eu country)
Sweden

etc...
Old 11-05-2010, 07:38   #29

Boat: Purchasing a 40-44' Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
While the VAT is not charged to a non-eu citizen or if it is you send in a form and get it back. Most marine title companies can handle the paperwork. Surveyor may be the real challenge. I.e. finding one in EU that your bank and title company will work with. Import is about 1.8% and don't forget your sales/excise tax from the state you are living in or will moore it in. BTW if you forget to pay the sales/excise tax it will double when they catch you!

I would start looking around the States as there are several that the owners are updside down on or may be going into foreclosure.

That is what I did. Found a Lagoon 440 on a short sale and save $100K.

Gemini
How do you like the Lagoon? Still on my list just concerned on how well it will do on big crossings.
Denvermike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 12:22   #30

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
today 494320.00 USD
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying