Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2022, 14:28   #1
One
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 7
Affordable liveaboard catamaran for a family of 5?

Hi, I'm looking for an affordable liveaboard catamaran for my family. We want to cruise only in the Med (Croatia, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus) for two or three years. The cat doesn't need a lot of payload because we are used to live only with a minimum of stuff and we don't need a lot of space. If the weather should be very bad in January and February we will rent a flat for that time.

Maximum Budget: 150.000,- for the cat and 50.000,- for a refit and upgrades (LiFePO4, solar, watermaker, AIS, Epirb, etc.). A cheaper boat would be more relaxed.

Requirements to the cat:
- Year of build from 2005 onwards,
- Min. three cabins,
- Not chartered before,
- No production cat like Lagoon, Fountaine Pajot, Leopard, Nautitech, etc.

The best options I found so far:
1) Prout Snowgoose Elite 37, would be perfect (problem: Only build till 2001)
2) Gemini 105MC (too much problems with quality / don't like the Legacy)
3) Privilege 37 (I think only build until 2003)
4) Chris White Atlantik 42, perfect but only cheap if older and very rare
5) Broadblue 385 (nothing on the market, not easy to find / 38 is no option)
6) PDQ 36 (too old)

I'm looking also for Bob Oram, older and small Schionning, Outremer 40 or 43 catamarans.

The Snowgoose would have been perfect, they are offered from 2001 for 90.000 , this would be easy to manage for us with costs for refit and upgrades.

If any of you have an idea for other options from 2005 onwards, it would be very helpful for me.

Thank you in advance and best regards,
Alex
One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 17:47   #2
Registered User
 
LeeV's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Md
Posts: 1,252
Re: Affordable liveaboard catamaran for a family of 5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Hi, I'm looking for an affordable liveaboard catamaran for my family. We want to cruise only in the Med (Croatia, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus) for two or three years. The cat doesn't need a lot of payload because we are used to live only with a minimum of stuff and we don't need a lot of space. If the weather should be very bad in January and February we will rent a flat for that time.

Maximum Budget: 150.000,- for the cat and 50.000,- for a refit and upgrades (LiFePO4, solar, watermaker, AIS, Epirb, etc.). A cheaper boat would be more relaxed.

Requirements to the cat:
- Year of build from 2005 onwards,
- Min. three cabins,
- Not chartered before,
- No production cat like Lagoon, Fountaine Pajot, Leopard, Nautitech, etc.

The best options I found so far:
1) Prout Snowgoose Elite 37, would be perfect (problem: Only build till 2001)
2) Gemini 105MC (too much problems with quality / don't like the Legacy)
3) Privilege 37 (I think only build until 2003)
4) Chris White Atlantik 42, perfect but only cheap if older and very rare
5) Broadblue 385 (nothing on the market, not easy to find / 38 is no option)
6) PDQ 36 (too old)

I'm looking also for Bob Oram, older and small Schionning, Outremer 40 or 43 catamarans.

The Snowgoose would have been perfect, they are offered from 2001 for 90.000 , this would be easy to manage for us with costs for refit and upgrades.

If any of you have an idea for other options from 2005 onwards, it would be very helpful for me.

Thank you in advance and best regards,
Alex
All I can say, looking at the market, is good luck!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 18:29   #3
Moderator
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 19,826
Re: Affordable liveaboard catamaran for a family of 5?

Could you explain the hard cutoff at 2005? It seems to be causing you a lot of rejections of otherwise good choices.

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II, still hanging out in Port Cygnet. Summer was nice... it was on a Tuesday... and now winter has descended upon Tasmania. Brrr.
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 19:09   #4
Registered User
 
Ballsnall's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 191
Re: Affordable liveaboard catamaran for a family of 5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Hi, I'm looking for an affordable liveaboard catamaran for my family. We want to cruise only in the Med (Croatia, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus) for two or three years.

A cheaper boat would be more relaxed.
Quote:
- Not chartered before,
- No production cat like Lagoon, Fountaine Pajot, Leopard, Nautitech, etc.
For a 2 to 3 year family cruise in the Med, it seems you have ruled out 98% of the vessels that would be most suitable.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 22:39   #5
Registered User
 
Jeannius's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Worcester U.K.
Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Posts: 1,017
Re: Affordable liveaboard catamaran for a family of 5?

Drop the 2005 and later requirement. Completely meaningless. Older, quality, well maintained boat far better than newer, lower quality boat. Also, I would say you probably should go for more than 3 cabins for 5 of you.
__________________
Mike

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 15:34   #6
One
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 7
Re: Affordable liveaboard catamaran for a family of 5?

Hello everyone,
yes three cabins would be enough for us. We're not looking for a house on the water, we see the Cat more like a van on the water.

My father worked as a material tester and there was a lot of asbestos in most heat and fire protection materials, even wall paneling etc. Personally I wouldn't care but we are also responsible for the children and my father asked me not to buy an older boat . During his work they also checked the fittings of boats a few times and lo and behold asbestos was also used on the boats. By 2005 at the latest, asbestos was banned in most countries, some sooner, others later. Everyone has to decide that for themselves.

I know that there are wonderful, well built catamarans in very good condition, but unfortunately that's not the case for us.

Unfortunately catamarans like the PDQ 36 and Snowgoos 37 were no longer built, these would have been perfect. The large series charter catamarans are out of the question.
maybe someone still knows a corresponding catamaran after 2005.

Thanks and best regards,
Alex
One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 20:18   #7
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 25,098
Re: Affordable liveaboard catamaran for a family of 5?

Alex, fwiw, the dangers with asbestos are mainly in the mining for it. A bit of asbestos webbing around something hot isn't going to be a health problem. It doesn't jump off and force you to breathe the particulates that cause asbestosis.

Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 20:31   #8
Registered User
 
JC Reefer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 639
Re: Affordable liveaboard catamaran for a family of 5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Hi, I'm looking for an affordable liveaboard catamaran for my family. We want to cruise only in the Med (Croatia, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus) for two or three years. The cat doesn't need a lot of payload because we are used to live only with a minimum of stuff and we don't need a lot of space. If the weather should be very bad in January and February we will rent a flat for that time.



Maximum Budget: 150.000,- for the cat and 50.000,- for a refit and upgrades (LiFePO4, solar, watermaker, AIS, Epirb, etc.). A cheaper boat would be more relaxed.



Requirements to the cat:

- Year of build from 2005 onwards,

- Min. three cabins,

- Not chartered before,

- No production cat like Lagoon, Fountaine Pajot, Leopard, Nautitech, etc.



The best options I found so far:

1) Prout Snowgoose Elite 37, would be perfect (problem: Only build till 2001)

2) Gemini 105MC (too much problems with quality / don't like the Legacy)

3) Privilege 37 (I think only build until 2003)

4) Chris White Atlantik 42, perfect but only cheap if older and very rare

5) Broadblue 385 (nothing on the market, not easy to find / 38 is no option)

6) PDQ 36 (too old)



I'm looking also for Bob Oram, older and small Schionning, Outremer 40 or 43 catamarans.



The Snowgoose would have been perfect, they are offered from 2001 for 90.000 , this would be easy to manage for us with costs for refit and upgrades.



If any of you have an idea for other options from 2005 onwards, it would be very helpful for me.



Thank you in advance and best regards,

Alex

Let me know if you get any bites.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 20:59   #9
Moderator
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 19,826
Re: Affordable liveaboard catamaran for a family of 5?

Quote:
My father worked as a material tester and there was a lot of asbestos in most heat and fire protection materials, even wall paneling etc.
I would be interested to learn which materials that are used in the construction of catamarans (or any recreational boats) contain significant amounts of asbestos, and in what form it exists there.

I've owned a few boats now and not been aware of overt asbestos usage in any f them. Even my 1974 Yankee 30 used a kind of fibreglass lagging on the hot parts of the Atomic 4 exhaust system... a spot were asbestos was used in previous eras. With no disrespect for your father, I can but wonder if his worries are justified, and if your cut off date could not be safely extended quite a bit.

At any rate, it is your decision, but it is clear that the 2005 date is seriously limiting your choices of boats within your budget.

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II, still hanging out in Port Cygnet. Summer was nice... it was on a Tuesday... and now winter has descended upon Tasmania. Brrr.
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 23:58   #10
Registered User
 
Heath68's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cartagena, Spain
Boat: St Francis 48Turbo
Posts: 519
Images: 1
Re: Affordable liveaboard catamaran for a family of 5?

You are absolutely right to be concerned about asbestos on a boat (or anywhere in fact). However, there are different types and a few simple rules mean it'll never be a threat.
1. Look at the existing structure of the boat, if it is flaking or crumbling then get a specialist to repair it (by sealing it). If it looks in good order but you want to be belt and braces about it, you can buy a sealing paint and give the whole thing a new coat of sealing paint to keep it where it is. There are no doubt a good few training videos/courses online about asbestos identification, risk assessment and reduction. Most of them will confirm that managed asbestos poses no risk.
2. What does pose a risk is when you want to cut or drill into the asbestos containing material to hang a hook on it.. here you are advised to take a few good precautions ( clear area, ventilate well, wear PPE, use a vacuum to immediately collect dust whilst drilling and clean down well after etc) but you need to ask yourself how often is that likely to happen anyway?
I think a good training course will give you the facts about it without scaring you away from probably most of the boats in your criteria. Up to 30% of houses contain asbestos in the USA (mostly anything built before 1980 but its still not banned in all states) so you need to try and give a little perspective. .. that's my opinion for what it's worth.
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 07:06   #11
Registered User
 
blubaju's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: where my little boat is ;-) now Philippines
Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Posts: 463
Re: Affordable liveaboard catamaran for a family of 5?

Sailing med is mainly EU! Are you familiar with rules and regulations? TR & GR have a special relationship, where you want to register or what is your nationality?
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 12:01   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hawaii
Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49
Posts: 351
Re: Affordable liveaboard catamaran for a family of 5?

Ouch! You can find cheap boats, but it will take time and $ to make them seaworthy. Selection will be very limited so being picky won't help.
I'd be hunting in the salvage department, if you have the skills and time, real bargains can be found.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 16:07   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Franklin, Ohio
Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Posts: 1,483
Re: Affordable liveaboard catamaran for a family of 5?

Really wondering where you are going to find any significant amounts of asbestos in any sailboat, let alone a catamaran ??
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 16:18   #14
Registered User
 
nwdiver's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Posts: 794
Re: Affordable liveaboard catamaran for a family of 5?

I built boats as far back as the 60s……..never used any form of asbestos, even on the exhaust system……where did you hear it was used, today the boat would have negative market value, I don’t see any “take my boat” and I’ll give you 75k to despose of it signs anywhere in the world….maybe it’s those concrete guys no idea what they used.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 16:29   #15
Seaman, Delivery skipper
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 28,926
Images: 2
pirate Re: Affordable liveaboard catamaran for a family of 5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Hello everyone,
yes three cabins would be enough for us. We're not looking for a house on the water, we see the Cat more like a van on the water.

My father worked as a material tester and there was a lot of asbestos in most heat and fire protection materials, even wall paneling etc. Personally I wouldn't care but we are also responsible for the children and my father asked me not to buy an older boat . During his work they also checked the fittings of boats a few times and lo and behold asbestos was also used on the boats. By 2005 at the latest, asbestos was banned in most countries, some sooner, others later. Everyone has to decide that for themselves.

I know that there are wonderful, well built catamarans in very good condition, but unfortunately that's not the case for us.

Unfortunately catamarans like the PDQ 36 and Snowgoos 37 were no longer built, these would have been perfect. The large series charter catamarans are out of the question.
maybe someone still knows a corresponding catamaran after 2005.

Thanks and best regards,
Alex
No asbestos in fiberglass boats.. they burn beautifully.

__________________

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
catamaran, family, liveaboard

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Liveaboard Family of 4 - Catamaran Choice? thelongsummer Multihull Sailboats 32 23-05-2017 08:37
Help! Recommendations for affordable liveaboard diy yard / marina in Florida? whystay Liveaboard's Forum 23 06-11-2016 12:01
Can my family take your family out to dinner? Need to discuss RTW tactics of family Liminality Families, Kids and Pets Afloat 5 13-10-2016 21:04
Affordable Liveaboard Anywhere? Sylvia Link Other 12 26-09-2012 23:43
Whats an affordable option for a liveaboard ? EmoPirate Liveaboard's Forum 12 02-02-2012 17:26

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:39.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.