Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2018, 14:35   #106

Boat: between boats
Re: Advise on Catamaran for extended cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariano View Post
Hey, have you seen the new DISCOVERY / BLUEWATER 50 cat?
Ir has a hot tub instead of a forward cookpit. Acording to your statement it is unsafe in heavy weather too......
No I havnt but yeah probably is hey
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 08:06   #107

The "Big 3" are Leopard, Lagoon, & Fontaine Pajot
Drmanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 09:58   #108

big 3 is probably Lagoon, Leopard, Fountaine Pajot (Seawinds seem nice also, but $$ for what you get). Catana is more performance oriented with boards on many models. Bali is Catana's non-performance line. Nauticat seems ... ok. Gunboats are sweet, but even more $$$$

Like a previous post, chartering would help. There are many variations even in manufactures, again as in a previous, some older models have some preferred designs (the older models at some point had narrower hulls which sailed better, but where more cramped inside and often had lower bridges). There is also the saildrive vs. conventional debate.

Of course even this is all just my personal opinion and others and your own opinion will likely vary greatly... so just my thoughts
Zephyrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 17:05   #109

What catamaran is this?

I went to the Miami International Boat show and loved this boat layout and cant seem to remember what boat it was? Anyone have any ideas. This is the master stateroom and it spanned the full beam of the boat towards the bow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200217_131830.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	222415  
Lynchn0215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 17:11   #110
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: What catamaran is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchn0215 View Post
I went to the Miami International Boat show and loved this boat layout and cant seem to remember what boat it was? Anyone have any ideas. This is the master stateroom and it spanned the full beam of the boat towards the bow.

Privilege
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:19   #111

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Privilege
Privilege certainly has that layout but I'm not sure any of the models have the pole-dancing option shown in the photo.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:25   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
Privilege certainly has that layout but I'm not sure any of the models have the pole-dancing option shown in the photo.
Think it's a 510.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	privilege-signature-510.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	222435  
fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:35   #113

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecapes View Post
Think it's a 510.
So it is. I only looked at the bigger ranges as I thought it was way bigger than 50ft!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:56   #114

subscribed
river251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 09:22   #115

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchn0215 View Post
Discovery made a 50ft with the same layout
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 10:25   #116

One thing you need to decide in choosing a cat is if you want to go the speed of a monohull (or maybe a bit faster) - or go a whole lot faster.

As a long time monohull sailor I consider anything over 6 knots to be just fine. At sea, a 170NM day (averaging 7 knots) is all I need. I frankly don't enjoy going faster than 10 knots as it takes careful attention at the helm. I'm the sort of guy who reefs early.

To go 15 knots costs a lot in carbon fiber, usually means no washer/dryer, and is pretty noisy in most boats. Maybe if I was younger I'd still feel the "need for speed".

Even upwind the "big three" do fine compared to a monohull in most wind/sea states. While they can't point as high they go enough faster through the water that their VMG to windward is about the same as a typical heavy cruising monohull.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 10:41   #117

A reason to consider a 50' cat is that it can carry more "stuff" - like a washer/dryer and still sail well. If you load up a 40' catamaran with all the toys people like to have today they'll sail pretty poorly.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 19:06   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
A reason to consider a 50' cat is that it can carry more "stuff" - like a washer/dryer and still sail well. If you load up a 40' catamaran with all the toys people like to have today they'll sail pretty poorly.
You can get pretty compact washers these days. Some korean wall mounted ones are 16 kilos (40lb?) I've seen a couple of seawind 1160(38ft) with washer dryers under the berth. A small countertop dishwasher is around 20-30 kilos. The weight saving of going to lithium is more than enough to offset that. Microwaves weigh nothing, same goes for a nesspresso machine.

But if you want household(US) sized washer dryers, dishwashers fridges etc then yeh, a 50ft boat is probably needed.

It puzzles me when people doing catamarans reviews get really excited over things like a washer dryer and microwave as standard equipment. Given these things are like a few hundred bucks on a million dollar boat. I would be more excited about lithium batteries. It seems like a pretty obvious marketing ploy to include these cheap add on as an easy way to sway a customer at a boat show.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 01:53   #119

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
You can get pretty compact washers these days. Some korean wall mounted ones are 16 kilos (40lb?) I've seen a couple of seawind 1160(38ft) with washer dryers under the berth. A small countertop dishwasher is around 20-30 kilos. The weight saving of going to lithium is more than enough to offset that. Microwaves weigh nothing, same goes for a nesspresso machine.

But if you want household(US) sized washer dryers, dishwashers fridges etc then yeh, a 50ft boat is probably needed.

It puzzles me when people doing catamarans reviews get really excited over things like a washer dryer and microwave as standard equipment. Given these things are like a few hundred bucks on a million dollar boat. I would be more excited about lithium batteries. It seems like a pretty obvious marketing ploy to include these cheap add on as an easy way to sway a customer at a boat show.
Absolutelly aggreed!

And taken into consideration that most of the 40 +/- feet cats are designed to handle 6-8 POB´s on charter for 1-2 weeks, you will have enough loading capacity if you choose that sizze of boat for just a couple for liveaboard...

John

Tags
catamaran, cruising, extended cruising