Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2007, 15:15   #1

Boat: motorsailer 17.7oa The Road
Advice re buying 40 + multihull

Hi
My name is Neil I am living near Sydney.
I am new to this site so hi to all
I have some sailing experience and have wanted a yacht for decades.
now I am early forties and have the decided that if I dont buy a boat in the next year or so Iam just not going to do it.
I am looking at a multihull 40 ft + to do coastal cruising and later with (experienced people) going further.
I have a family (wife +2 kids) who are keen on the idea of sailing around at destinations but less keen to cruise there.
I have a budget of about $180K and am interested in trimarans.
My older brother has been sailing for years and hates all things multihulled- tells me that I would be mad to buy one.
however the stability and room are very attractive to me. I am looking at a marples 46 at Catamaran and Trimaran Sales - new and used - Multihull Yacht Sales Australia which is massive but built 1987 but appears well maintained.
Any advice would be welcome
Neil
neilrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 18:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Hi Neil
That is one of John Marples Fast Cruising designs. Looks like it is well built and would be a great choice for a modern cruising trimaran. Like many newer designs they do give up some interior accomadations for sailing performance. It will have the least interior volume compared to a cat or monohull tho in that size you should have plenty of room. It will perform better than a cat or monohull and IMO for sheer sailing fun and pleasure you can't beat a trimaran. Marples is in Florida so his boats may not be as well known down under.
Some people have rational reasons for not liking multihulls, want more paypoad, don't care for the differant motion, don't like the non-traditional look, or a firm belief in the stability of the ballast keel. That's okay we all have to be comfortable with our choices. Your brother on the other hand sounds like a 12 year old boy who swears he will have nothing to do with girls. Has he ever spent any time on a good cruising trimaran or cat? Maybe actually going out for a sail on one might open up his mind a bit.
With the more comfortable motion and better performance of a tri or cat your wife and kids may even find that getting there is all part of the fun.
Good luck

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 19:05   #3
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Hello Neil,

I can't speak to the particular design but can say that I am a life-long monohull sailor just converted to multi's (a 40' cat). Tri's have a reputation for sailing better to windward than most cats but have disadvantages in resale, interior space and in docking (even more beam for LOA). In addition, the modern cat can be made to sail much better to windward, especially if equipped with daggerboards.

There are some great cats built in Oz and I would suggest that you give them a try (as well as 'trying the Tri') before deciding.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 23:22   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
There is a simpson liahona in magnificent condition for sale at the gold coast, I think you will find it on Yacht Hub - 43 foot tri with some real nice touches.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:20   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Just my humble opinion...

If the family isn't totally bought in, especially for such a huge investment, I bet it will stay at mooring a lot of the time. There are at least a dozen boats like that at our club. The guy buys the boat, the family is lukewarm and the guy sails once a month at best and more likely once every 6-8 weeks.

You said you family enjoys "sailing around at the destinations."

Let's say you spent $5,000 getting trained up to sail big cats. Let's say you can charter a big cat for a week for about $5,000. With $180,000 to spend thats 35 more week long charters for the same money. In fact sticking the 180k in a 5% investment nets you almost 2 free weeks per year.

You could also buy a daysailer that's easy to single hand for the weekends between charters.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:48   #6

Boat: Catana 471
G'day Neil, and welcome.

I agree with Dan's advice. Very wise.

Have you taken your family on a multihull charter? - any charter? If not, give it a try. If yes, keep going and try out different boats. Eventually your Admiral may warm up to the idea of owning a boat, you'd be more wiser about what to choose, you gain experience, and you have fun all the while! If she doesn't warm up to owning a boat, oh well - get a sports car or a Harley for yer mid-life crisis and keep chartering for your sailing fix.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:06   #7

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
There is a simpson liahona in magnificent condition for sale at the gold coast, I think you will find it on Yacht Hub - 43 foot tri with some real nice touches.
I'm pretty sure that one is (was) Roger Simpsons own boat as well.

Dave
Old 01-01-2008, 13:24   #8

Boat: motorsailer 17.7oa The Road
thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice. i am going to look at some boats for sale in Sydney (cats)
i think that the idea of taking the family on a charter multihull is great. they have never been on a multi and they love the idea of a week sailing. I dont think that I am too broken up at the thought of a good excuse to charter a cat either.
once again thankyou for the advice
i am enjoying reading the old posts - there is a lot of info that is just what Im after.
neil
neilrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 19:00   #9

Boat: OP's boats! Charter big cats and race big monos!
DO Take the family on a 1-2 week charter!!

We are booked for our 10th. sailing vacation in the British Virgin Islands in June '08.
Check my photo links, we kinda have a lot of fun, and the kids love it too!!

Iet me know if you need more info, I am very active on a travel Forum
that has everything you need to make it happen.

I too would love to own a big multi, nut has been fun chartering all the different cats.

We have a new Voyage 440 plus with spinnaker chartered for our June trip!!
Saildoggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull