Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2022, 05:42   #76

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Re: Advice on ground tackle

That video is over a year old, and Steve's tests are not comprehensive of all bottom types and test types, and he is constantly updating his score sheet. There's been a lot of development in his test protocols since then. That being said, the Excel is one of the top anchors that he's tested, and I think it's probably the best constructed anchor of that group as well.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 06:30   #77

Boat: Rogers 10 Catamaran

I have a smaller 35 foot cat for coastal cruising; Australia east coast; similar winch (horizontal version), 35 metres of chain; 60 metres 8 plaid, Manson Supreme anchor.
I changed from all chain to save weight and improve performance after running the spreadsheet and reading the advice link below.
http://alain.fraysse.free.fr/sail/rode/rode_b.htm
After 3 years of use, I am very happy with the set up which includes a wireless remote. The wireless remote gives me the ability to hose down muddy chain on its way up, before much mess is made on the foredeck.
In theory, we should handle 65+ knots with a good holding bottom. Not experienced over 45 as we can avoid most threatening weather in our coastal situation.
makjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 10:39   #78

Boat: Voyage 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndcruiser View Post
Lots of good advice so far. Some other things to consider: I decided to go for Cromox Duplex chain. It's stronger than G43, runs smoothly, doesn't pyramid in the chain locker, never rusts, but very expensive. I also changed from a Rocna 33 to a Sarca Excel (#6 is 30kg, #7 is 36kg). I have a14T mono.
I had no idea such an animal as Cromox Duplex chain existed. Do you have a preferred source in the United States?
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 14:45   #79

I bought mine in Australia and I don't know of a US supplier. There is another discussion on this forum at https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...de-247219.html
cndcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 21:04   #80

On a 36,000# large 46’ Cal 2-46 ketch, I anchored in the Atlantic, Caribbean, Pacific and Sea of Cortez with a 55# Delta. While leaps and bounds better than a Claw or CQR plow, it very rarely drug. However, (it was inferior to some of the newer more modern anchors.) However, I lived and cruised full time for years, anchoring out about 95% of the time and had very good luck with this anchor.

I switched to a 55# Spade a while ago and have NEVER drug anchor. I really think that I could have gone with a 44# and done just as well. These anchors have extremely good holding in many bottoms and situations. Mine is galvanized and I haven’t had any significant rust issues. I am not sure that a Vulcan has the holding power of a Spade. Also the spade does come in stainless. Rocna clearly does not have the holding abilities of the Spade. Good luck navigating this tricky issue.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 04:17   #81

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Going by the data from the SV Panope tests, the Spade may be slightly better than the Vulcan in some situations. But the Vulcan is a bit more well rounded. And on top of being cheaper, both the videos and my own opinion point to it being better built than the Spade.

That said, between the Spade, Vulcan, Excel, and a couple of the other options, there are several anchors all good enough that I'd choose mostly by what fits best on the bow, what's available easily, and price.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 04:51   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Going by the data from the SV Panope tests, the Spade may be slightly better than the Vulcan in some situations. But the Vulcan is a bit more well rounded. And on top of being cheaper, both the videos and my own opinion point to it being better built than the Spade.

That said, between the Spade, Vulcan, Excel, and a couple of the other options, there are several anchors all good enough that I'd choose mostly by what fits best on the bow, what's available easily, and price.
I agree entirely.
Old 29-05-2022, 05:01   #83

Boat: Adams 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereAndBack View Post
I had no idea such an animal as Cromox Duplex chain existed. Do you have a preferred source in the United States?
I bought Cromox chain from US Stainless. Not sure it's still the same person, but here's the link I found now: Cromox 10mm Chain.
pjShap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 10:40   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Not all anchors are created equal, that is for sure, and even when a design is demonstrably superior, there are those who with quite liberal amounts of vitriol hammered the product. It took steves videos to quieten the bigots. Steves videos are not scientific proof he himself says that, but they are probably the best source of balanced and non biased information we have. And based on his research you would be buying a viking, if it suits your boat anchor roller though Steves assesment of engeneering and buld quality worries me, or an Excel, and maybe a spade. Personally I have a strong dislike for any roll bar anchor, but that is just me.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 12:02   #85
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Wasn’t there a problem with the Vulcan that had to be fixed? I guess they fixed it but does anyone know details?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 12:26   #86

Boat: Privilege 42

We have a Privilege 42, 23' beam and 26,000 lbs cruising weight. Our anchor is a 65lb Mantus, which we love. Our chain is 300 ft of 12mm G43. 1500+ worry-free nights at anchor.

65 lbs is about all I can safely maneuver on deck by myself, which is the limiting factor for anchor size on our boat.

We use 12mm chain rather than 10mm (did not considered 8mm) for the additional weight on the bottom. We have G43 not for the strength, but because it is what was available when and where we needed it. Our anchor locker is at the mast and is very deep; coning or the size of the stack is not a factoron our boat.

Starting from scratch, for anchoring in Florida, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean, I would duplicate our current setup, except that I would probably buy only 200' of chain. Except for hurricanes, that last 100ft of chain never got used. My theory: when you need over 200ft for scope, you are in deep water and nylon line is probably sufficient for the last 100 feet.
daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 12:31   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Wasn’t there a problem with the Vulcan that had to be fixed? I guess they fixed it but does anyone know details?
I don't recall hearing anything about that. I do remember when the Mantus M2 anchor was anounced it became unavailable for a year or so, which I heard might be due to a shank redesign after product launch. And then of course there was an issue that Steve found with the fluke welding, which it seems that they've addressed.
Old 29-05-2022, 12:38   #88
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I don't recall hearing anything about that. I do remember when the Mantus M2 anchor was anounced it became unavailable for a year or so, which I heard might be due to a shank redesign after product launch. And then of course there was an issue that Steve found with the fluke welding, which it seems that they've addressed.
Ah that must be it… mixing them up

So I guess the Excel and Vulcan are too choices. I do have a problem with the galvanize of the Spade and I am suspicious of the Viking even after the videos….

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 14:49   #89

I'm not suspicious of the Viking's test performance, but the shank and fluke thicknesses are pretty thin, in order to get that massive surface area. I'm also averse to multi-part anchors to begin with, which is why I like the Excel and Vulcan construction. The Excel galvanization on the fluke is very good, but not as good on the bisalloy shank. It must not bond well with that alloy for some reason. I have not yet used my Vulcan, so I'll report on that in the fall. They are both really solidly built and both are all steel, so regalv should be easy. If you have a short distance between your windlass/chain lock and your roller, I'd try fitting the Vulcan, it fits my boat really well, even being very oversized.
Old 30-05-2022, 15:18   #90

Boat: Cal 2-46

We are Mono. 33000 lbs ( Kiwis so more familiar with kg) 15metres LOA. 5metres beam. Been thru heaps of blows Sth Pacific. Very happy with 10mm chain and 33kg Rocna. Winch is a Lighthouse 1501. Bullet proof.
Stick with what you have and sleep well at night when the wind is screaming.
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice