Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2014, 13:30   #151
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: Advice for new owners from Australia coming to Europe to collect a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
...you would most likely have the sea time to sit for your masterV ticket when you eventually get back to Aus.
+1 spot on...or, as in our Captain's case, have any restrictions on the MasterV removed based on accumulated time in (well-and-truly!) unprotected waters...

...and while we're still on TAFE Maritime, note also that they offer marine 'engineering' course (leading to the Marine Engine Driver or 'MED' qualifications) which are also VERY practical, important and useful when you're out there with no mechanics to assist!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 15:46   #152
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

any ideas on how coxswain and masterV compare to yachtmaster offshore? I have my coxswains certificate but considering doing something else. I think the yachtmaster offshore is pretty well recognized overses, is MasterV as well?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 16:00   #153
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
any ideas on how coxswain and masterV compare to yachtmaster offshore? I have my coxswains certificate but considering doing something else. I think the yachtmaster offshore is pretty well recognized overses, is MasterV as well?
FWIW...we were recently enquiring about bareboats in Croatia/Greece and confirmed the MasterV is accepted there.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 16:08   #154

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
I think that it depends on where you are. Thoughts only. In Aus I expect MasterV gives you more options but overseas Yachtmaster offshore may be more transportable if looking for work. As a private vessel probably not necessary.

I have a MasterV but would consider sitting for a YM offshore once I have some time on a sailing vessel.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 16:09   #155
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
If you stay within leisure yachting, or commercial leisure yachts , the YM. Offshore is the most useful ticket around.

Dave
Old 30-01-2014, 16:10   #156
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Miss View Post
Hi Dave

thanks to you and others for advice. I will take your advice and will continue with the theory and then Day Skipper in May prior to June departure, plus as much of being on the blue as I can inbetween.

Also based on the best tag of all “You can’t believe how bleeding scary the sea is! There’s, like, whales and storms and ****! They don’t bloody tell you that!”
I have downloaded Libba Bray book and will read with great interest...

Cheers
the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
Youre welcome

Dave
Old 03-02-2014, 17:17   #157

Boat: Hanse 385

Hello all,

Was just wondering 'the Miss' if you've registered your boat yet? I'm not quite sure how this works? Can you register the boat (we have the builders certificate, etc) before you take ownership / get the boat handed over? If so how does that work and how long beforehand can you do it?

Or do you wait until the boat is handed over to you from the dealer and then register it?
We're going to register it over here in Oz to help smooth out any VAT issues we might run into.

Regards,
Simon
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 17:32   #158
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You can start the process but need to have handover certificates before competing rego. You can alos apply for provisional registration which costs about a grand to expidite things a little bit. After handover you need to send the documents to Aus and wait till you recieve the boat documents till you sail. This can take a couple of weeks with courier times etc. You can speed up the process a little bit if the builder allows you to mark the yachts prior to delivery. Also if the builders docs are in French you will need to have them translated to English by a certified translator.
Lots of fun !
Old 03-02-2014, 17:40   #159

Boat: Catana 42

Hi Simon,
We are currently organising boat registration and the MMSI number at the moment for our AIS, radios and ERIPB so your question is timely.

We registered our boat name many months ago and were given our registration number but our boat is not registered yet. We need the bill of sale, proving we are the owners to be sent via post from the builder in France to AMSA (copy won't do) before we can go any further with MMSI and registration. It is a little frustrating, correction a pain in the backside, that we cannot get our safety gear organised until we own the boat, but as the man in steel plate said "such is life". I can see that this small detail could easily trip up buyers who are keen to pay and depart from France.

We agree with you re registering in Australia. It means we avoid VAT thus reducing initial price increase of 20% rather than Australia's GST which is currently 10%. Also the GST is based on the value of the boat on its return not on its day one purchase.

We did early on look at registering out boat in British Virgin Islands as my husband is British born, but decided not for us as we wanted an Australian boat should we decide to keep our boat in Australia for any length of time. Also when you sell this can be a negative for potential buyers.

I have an appointment to talk with AMSA beacons this afternoon to try and get a MMSI no. early so if I have any new updates I will let you know.

Cheers the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
The Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 17:44   #160

Hi Monte,

Thanks for info. Some of which is a revaluation!

Did this process of original French documents going to Australia hold you up much? Where you allowed to take your boat but remain in France, how did insurance work with this. Who did your translation for you was it the yard or did this get organised in Australia?

Interesting process, but still worth buying overseas and collecting in Europe.

Thanks for advice

Cheers the Miss

Homepage | Miss Catana
Old 03-02-2014, 18:10   #161
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

hi miss
insurance is no problem, just start it before handover date.
I got a provisional rego so I could expedite things a bit, but you cant leave the dock without full registration, although the builder usually does for a test sai, they probably have an exemption. My girlfriend did the translation and we made it look as professional as possible We sailed from Le Sables to La Rochelle where we had some work done and the registration came through while we were there. The main thing is to have at least the boat marked with name, Official number LOA etc, and at least provisional registration for the authorities. You are not supposed to sail under provisional registration but it does appear to be a vessel registration document to the French Authorities
Old 03-02-2014, 18:10   #162

Hi Monte,

Agreed with the above. I had no idea you couldn't sail until you had this back.
I have the bill of sale, and the boat builders doc. What else do I require?

In terms of naming the boat 'Miss' how did you do this if I can ask?

We have bought an Epirb in the UK, I thought they had to be registered in the country they are bought?
Old 03-02-2014, 18:13   #163

Quote:
You can start the process but need to have handover certificates before competing rego. You can alos apply for provisional registration which costs about a grand to expidite things a little bit. After handover you need to send the documents to Aus and wait till you recieve the boat documents till you sail. This can take a couple of weeks with courier times etc. You can speed up the process a little bit if the builder allows you to mark the yachts prior to delivery. Also if the builders docs are in French you will need to have them translated to English by a certified translator.
Lots of fun !
Sorry how is this provisional registration done? Also what does 'Mark the yacht' mean?
Old 03-02-2014, 18:16   #164

Hi Simon,

Name registration is very easy, go onto AMSA website complete the form and pay the $1100. Details of who to contact for this are below (and taken off website)
Pat O'Brien
SHIPPING REGISTRATION OFFICER
SHIP INSPECTION & REGISTRATION
SHIP SAFETY DIVISION

82 Northbourne Avenue, Braddon ACT 2612
GPO BOX 2181, Canberra ACT 2601
p
+61 2 6279 5925
f
+61 2 6279 5922
e
patrick.o'brien@amsa.gov.au

I have just spoken to AMSA re the registering of the boat and MMSI numbers.
For us we need now need to apply to the Australian Communications Media Authority ACMA.gov.au and apply for a martitme ships stations licence for our HF radio before we can apply for an MMSI number.

Hope this helps

the Miss
Old 03-02-2014, 18:39   #165
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

provisional rego is done through AMSA as well. Theres a link to the form on their site, also Peter Baker and staff are very helpful there. Marking the yacht is the requirement for identification. It includes the yachs name on the bows in 100mm high contrasting letters, the Official number on the transom and LOA as well as an engraved plate with the Official number (ON) fastened to a main bulkhead.

Tags
Australia, Europe, rope