Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2013, 03:52   #1

Boat: Catana 42
Advice for new owners from Australia coming to Europe to collect a boat

Hi there

Next year we take collection of a new catana and are interested in advice regarding insurance and storing the boat. We would love to hear from others as to whom we should look to for insurance. We intend to stay within the Mediterranean region for the first year to 18 months.

The other piece of advice we would appreciate is a good way to find an experienced person to assist with taking the boat from France to Turkey in early June 2014. As fairly inexperienced sailors, and completely new to the region, experience and good communicator would be important to us. We have agreed to have our boat in Bodrum for the boat show hence the timetable.

Many thanks for any direction given. We are certainly on a steep learning curve.

Kind regards and thanks in advance
the Miss

Homepage | Miss Catana
The Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 07:23   #2
tnf

Re: Advice for new owners from Australia coming to Europe to collect a boat

Congratulations with your new boat!

Sailing from France to Turkey should not give you too many problems, but be aware of local weather systems that can arrive very quickly out of nowhere, even in the middle of the summer. There are a lot of nice places to stop on your way. France and most other EU countries will not give you any big challenges with clearance, but to save time make sure you have the proper paperwork prepared upfront. If your boat was EU registered and only had EU citizens onboard you would not even have to clear Immigration between countries as long as you where inside the EU/Schengen area. I presume you do not have EU passports, so that means you have to report to Customs at a Port of Entry with the ship's registration papers and passports when you arrive in a new country. noonsite.com has very good country information. If you are Australian citizens you do not need a EU visa, but there is a 90 days per 6 months maximum staying time, more info here http://www.noonsite.com/General/RegionalAgreements

In Turkey the formalities will probably be more demanding, I would definitively find an experienced local agent that can help you. But, check the references to make sure he can be trusted and has a reasonable price, again noonsite.com has valuable info. Also there is a member of this forum that I think run a charter business in Marmaris that maybe can help you find the right person, his profile page is here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...loya-7613.html

As soon as you have arrived in Turkey you will find that it is a beautiful country with friendly people, it is one of our favorite destinations. Safety is general good, but be aware that the bureaucracy is more rigid than EU and there are a lot of rules and regulations on visas and max visit time for both you and your boat that you must follow.

The Med side of France and parts of Italy is really expensive, especially in the high season July to September. Turkey is generally cheap, but here you need to make sure that the price you agree on is the final price, they are experts in coming up with additional fees when you checkout. In Turkey you are also expected to negotiate almost every price to get a bargain, even the marina fees. Again check Noonsite for more information.
tnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 08:14   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Congratulations on your Catana purchase, they are beautiful catamarans, what model have you purchased?
We took delivery of a new He'lia 44 this year and have sailed into the Med for our first time. For insurance we found AXA was the more reasonable with quotes and this was arranged by our commissioning agent in La Rochelle. The insurance was for the Med and out to the Canaries.
For your delivery I can recommend BMS Yachting Assistance and your contact would be Pascal Cantiran based near Canet-Plage where Catana are built. www.bmsmed.com
We will be leaving our boat in Marmaris this winter at the Albatros Marina, Offshore Sailing, your contact there is Ege Taluy ege@ossyc.com and www.ossyc.com
We are returning to Sydney for six months to return next May to cruise out of the Med and across the Atlantic to the Caribbean.
Maybe we will cross paths at some stage, we have a very good friend with the new Catana 59 back in Aus and also a mate of ours owns a Catana 47 based down in Sydney.
Enjoy the new boat and you will love cruising in the Med, for further info please get in touch, Multihull Solutions are our agents and you can read some of our adventures on the owners blogs. Please PM me if need be.

Regards Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 14:32   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I would have thought your dealer or the factory should have organised all this for you? Particularly if they want to use the boat at the show?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 17:16   #5

Hi there,

what should the yard be taking the boat to Turkey is this what you mean?
Old 26-09-2013, 17:50   #6

Boat: Lightwave 45

Hey Andrew

If I order an Outremer 45 will you organise to get it to Aus at no charge and pay the taxes on the way in.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 18:01   #7
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

We picked up our CatNirvana in Sardinia, and then sailed her to Sydney, via the Panama Canal, back in 2011.

We used Pantaenius for insurance. As we recall now, they were both recommended by others and the most reasonable for the long 'blue water' delivery voyage...and their service was certainly very good for us. When we arrived in Australia, we changed over to Club Marine because they were both well recommended by others and the best 'package' for extended coastal cruising.

We engaged two professional delivery crew for the long voyage. It was a condition of our long 'blue water' insurance coverage that there be 3 persons on board and our Admiral was only able to join the voyage for the cross-Caribbean and Panama Canal sectors. We would be happy to recommend at least one (the most experienced) of our crew, but you should have no problems finding good delivery people for a short hop in the Med.

We can't assist with any storage ideas though because our beautiful CatNirvana never sits still for very long! We might, however, note that Sardinia in winter may not be attractive as the hardstand yard nearby where we picked up CatNirvana wanted some ridiculous sum just to haul her out for survey -- Perhaps it was a bit quiet there in the winter of 2011 and they saw us as a captive audience?!? -- but we declined as she was only 6 mos old...and the hulls not only survived the long voyage, but continue to log up many, many more miles all dry inside.

Keep us all posted with your pickup...and your voyages!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 18:06   #8
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
We took delivery of a new He'lia 44 this year and have sailed into the Med for our first time.
Woo hoo...exciting stuff Gordon! We're delighted for you and Louise...and sure you're both loving your new explorations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
We are returning to Sydney for six months to return next May to cruise out of the Med and across the Atlantic to the Caribbean.
So you'll be in Sydney from now(?) to next May?
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 18:41   #9

[QUOTE=cwjohm;1350628]Hey Andrew

Your right! - the previous question just made me think I had missed something advantageous.

Doh.

Cheers
the Miss

Homepage | Miss Catana
Old 26-09-2013, 18:52   #10

No, just meaningless banter between Andrew and I.

Congrats on your purchase.

Looks like a nice sail for your demo. Condor got that boat going pretty well. I had a good look at it but my other half vetoed it.
Old 26-09-2013, 19:08   #11

Hi there,

Thanks. If your other half vetoed what did you go for in the end.

I (the one half with the 51% voting rights) fell head over heels in love straight away with Catana 42. Life's a bit like that...

Re test sail Condor was a fun captain and obvious he knew what he was doing. It was my first time ever to stand behind a wheel of a yacht - it was fun!
Cheers
Old 26-09-2013, 19:17   #12

We bought our boat in the UK.

I would also recommend Pantaenius
Whaubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 19:25   #13

I bought the Orana which was sitting a stones throw from where the Catana 42 was moored.

It does not have the performance of the Catana but its level of comfort makes up for it.

Relationships are all about compromise. She dictates and he compromises.
Old 26-09-2013, 19:49   #14

Relationships are all about compromise. She dictates and he compromises Ha ha ha how true

It is always a compromise.

Even though I had to convince my husband
A. a catamaran was the only boat I was going on and
B. Keep with the motto - Go big (new) or go home
My big compromise was 25 years ago. I always knew that if I married my beautiful boyfriend one day I would be going sailing.

and now here we are having a boat built.

cheers
the Miss

Homepage | Miss Catana
Old 26-09-2013, 20:04   #15

Boat buying is an interesting process....

We looked very closely at the Seawind 1250

If the boat buying was up to only my captain, we would be Seawind buyers but I had a few what I called my "girl issues" with the 1250. To me he 1250 is too "boy"

I could still see that it was beautiful boat though and I did like the fact it came with everything as a package.

cheers
the Miss

Homepage | Miss Catana

Tags
Australia, Europe, rope