Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2014, 17:18   #136
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Advice for new owners from Australia coming to Europe to collect a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_morwood View Post
I too had heard rumours about requirements for an ICC, but we've been in the Med for the last 8 months and have never been asked for one or even heard it mentioned. Kind of disappointing seeing as I have one!

My understanding had been that for recreational boats registered in another country, the laws of the registering country apply to the crews qualifications. I don't know how the ICC fits in with that.

It is actually quite hard to get an ICC as a US skipper as far as I am aware there is no national body issuing them. I got mine through the RYA in the UK which is allowed to issue them for citizens of countries that don't have their own issuing authority. Not sure what the situation is in Australia.

I suspect as a US flagged boat we may not be representative, as my assumption is that everyone here has become used to crew on US flagged boats having no formal qualifications, as you need no formal qualifications to drive a recreational boat in the US. So my guess is they don't even bother asking skippers of US boats for their qualifications. I don't know if they do for European or other flagged boats.

I suspect your last comment about Aussie's sticking together may not come across as you meant for everyone here. I happen to be Australian (and American), but I think you'll find most of the people on this forum sharing their time and giving very good advice are not. You'll find the cruising community is very international, and in my experience tends to be very helpful regardless of the nationality of those involved. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that you'll find things in common with cruisers you meet along the way that go beyond simple things such as where you were born.
Most European countries do not require formal qualifications to skipper sail boats. Some have no registration, licensing or insurance requirements

Dave
Old 25-01-2014, 20:29   #137

Boat: Hanse 385

In terms of the Sim card... this is the one we're going for..
Europa SIM-Card - Mobiles Internet in Europe, jederzeit, überall - ab

3 euro per day, but that includes 500MB of data- which is WAY more than anyone else we could find.

You only pay the 3 euro on days you use. So our plan is to just use it once or twice per week.
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 20:47   #138

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
In terms of the Sim card... this is the one we're going for..
Europa SIM-Card - Mobiles Internet in Europe, jederzeit, überall - ab

3 euro per day, but that includes 500MB of data- which is WAY more than anyone else we could find.

You only pay the 3 euro on days you use. So our plan is to just use it once or twice per week.
We use the travel sim for phone calls only. We buy a prepaid data sim in each country and use it with a wireless non locked USB modem (bought it over there as far cheaper than here) so everyone on board can share the signal. Typical cost is less than 1 euro per day depending on country. Your Europa sim sounds interesting though. Also have a wifi booster amplified aerial to pick up signals from cafes etc.

TwT
Old 25-01-2014, 20:49   #139

1 euro per day sounds great! How much data are you getting for that?
Old 25-01-2014, 23:42   #140

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

I think it has already been mentioned somewhere on this thread, but for the new to cruising internationally, Noonsite.com — Noonsite is a great resource for finding out about the latest entry requirements and regulations country by country.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 21:40   #141

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
1 euro per day sounds great! How much data are you getting for that?
Not on board so cant check and it varies from country to country but from memory Greece was about 40 Euros for 50 or 60?? days for about 5GB??. France was only country were couldn't buy a sim card as wanted a fixed address but may have improved. Everywhere else just want passport.

TwT
Old 27-01-2014, 20:02   #142

Boat: Catana 42

Re goboatingnow's comment.

Re the qualifications to take on your own boat I'm wondering the thoughts out there re me the miss qualifications.

As I have said earlier I have little experience to this point. I read the Bumfuzzle site and decided their approach although good for them not so good for a Miss like me.

My sailing experience thus far:

First experience on the water was the last day of my honeymoon 25 years ago when my husband took me on a surprise tuna fishing trip with the soccer club. It was a glimpse of the future and thus far everyday on the water is a good day - even in crap weather I still like it.

Since then lots of small motor boating in local Tasmanian waters, occasional sails with friends, a 2 week charter in the Whitsundays on Perry 42 and now some twilight sailing and lots of fishing in between.

I am about to start my day skippers course theory and have started twilight sailing at my local club and planned to do my Day skippers course May once the theory was complete. However it has been suggested I do the Competent crew course instead of the Day Sailor course as this is enough to begin with. Each course cost just under $2000 by the time I pay to get interstate and pay the fees so not sure I want to do both courses....
The suggestion is to do the competent crew course now and then have 5 months of good practice before we go away rather than do the course just before we go away.

Interested to hear your thoughts

Cheers
the Miss
The Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 20:23   #143

Hi 'Miss',

I've done all the courses in Sydney. Have to say I'm really glad I did the competent crew, and above courses. I wouldn't have got the most from Day Skipper without getting training on the j24's first.

Day Skipper was great also, but for me the big two I'd say I've learn't the most in are Coastal Yachtmaster + Sea survival.

In coastal you really get into navigation side of things more + tides, etc. And I learn't a lot on the sea survival course- hopefully I'll never need to put half of it into practise but at least I've been thought life jackets inflating / how darn hard it is to get into a life-raft, letting off flares, etc.

Of course any experience on the water is great, but the problem I find with the twilight races, etc, is you can get stuck doing a single task rather than really learning the techniques behind sailing.

Just my 2c anyhow.

All the best,
Simon
Old 27-01-2014, 20:54   #144
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Hi Miss

Re courses et.al., give some thought to the TAFE Maritime courses; they are more oriented toward commercial (rather than yachting) seatime, but they nevertheless teach (and, in our view, teach very well) important matters like navigation, radar, tides, sea survival, stability and much more...and, because they are government supported, they tend to be lot less expensive! You won't end up with the Yachmaster qualification (altho some TAFE's may offer that as well, albeit with higher fees) but the commercial martitime qualifications (Coxswain, MasterV, STCW) are also very useful and widely recognized. Check your local TAFE and, if they offer Maritime units, that may save you some big travel costs!

As with any plans to be on the sea, however, the more time spent on the water (and ideally in the sort of situation where you see yourself in the future, i.e. a nice sail cat!) the better you'll be prepared for whatever comes along; so take any opportunities you can in those situations. For example, if anyone needs crew to sail to the mainland (or back) or any coastal (or open water) passages, jump aboard!

When do you think we might see your new boat in OZ waters?
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 10:53   #145
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Miss View Post
Re goboatingnow's comment.

Re the qualifications to take on your own boat I'm wondering the thoughts out there re me the miss qualifications.

As I have said earlier I have little experience to this point. I read the Bumfuzzle site and decided their approach although good for them not so good for a Miss like me.

My sailing experience thus far:

First experience on the water was the last day of my honeymoon 25 years ago when my husband took me on a surprise tuna fishing trip with the soccer club. It was a glimpse of the future and thus far everyday on the water is a good day - even in crap weather I still like it.

Since then lots of small motor boating in local Tasmanian waters, occasional sails with friends, a 2 week charter in the Whitsundays on Perry 42 and now some twilight sailing and lots of fishing in between.

I am about to start my day skippers course theory and have started twilight sailing at my local club and planned to do my Day skippers course May once the theory was complete. However it has been suggested I do the Competent crew course instead of the Day Sailor course as this is enough to begin with. Each course cost just under $2000 by the time I pay to get interstate and pay the fees so not sure I want to do both courses....
The suggestion is to do the competent crew course now and then have 5 months of good practice before we go away rather than do the course just before we go away.

Interested to hear your thoughts

Cheers
the Miss
I would suggest that the competence crew course would be of little challenge to you. The Day Skipper practical is a very good introductory skippers course, even if its fairly packed. It should challenge you. I'd recommend it.

Dave
Old 28-01-2014, 18:56   #146

Hi Dave

thanks to you and others for advice. I will take your advice and will continue with the theory and then Day Skipper in May prior to June departure, plus as much of being on the blue as I can inbetween.

Also based on the best tag of all “You can’t believe how bleeding scary the sea is! There’s, like, whales and storms and ****! They don’t bloody tell you that!”
I have downloaded Libba Bray book and will read with great interest...

Cheers
the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
Old 28-01-2014, 19:59   #147
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice for new owners from Australia coming to Europe to collect a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Miss View Post
Hi Dave

thanks to you and others for advice. I will take your advice and will continue with the theory and then Day Skipper in May prior to June departure, plus as much of being on the blue as I can inbetween.

Also based on the best tag of all “You can’t believe how bleeding scary the sea is! There’s, like, whales and storms and ****! They don’t bloody tell you that!”
I have downloaded Libba Bray book and will read with great interest...

Cheers
the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
Glad your taking a 'Skipper' course of some kind that gives you a paper to wave under officious nose's...
All it needs is one bad tempered Harbour Master to screw up your life if you do not have the minimum acceptable level.. regardless of what anyone says.. keep the little gods happy..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 20:41   #148

Well for the little God's, the husband will have plenty of paperwork. I am keen to do the courses because I like to have reasonable idea of how to do things and it seems like the smart way to go.

Cheers
the Miss
Old 29-01-2014, 04:12   #149
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
Hi Miss

Re courses et.al., give some thought to the TAFE Maritime courses; they are more oriented toward commercial (rather than yachting) seatime, but they nevertheless teach (and, in our view, teach very well) important matters like navigation, radar, tides, sea survival, stability and much more...and, because they are government supported, they tend to be lot less expensive! You won't end up with the Yachmaster qualification (altho some TAFE's may offer that as well, albeit with higher fees) but the commercial martitime qualifications (Coxswain, MasterV, STCW) are also very useful and widely recognized. Check your local TAFE and, if they offer Maritime units, that may save you some big travel costs!
+1, - very good advice, I support D&Ds comment.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 01:53   #150

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
+1, - very good advice, I support D&Ds comment.
+1 If you were to get your coxwains ticket you would most likely have the sea time to sit for your masterV ticket when you eventually get back to Aus. Not necessary but doable.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, Europe, rope