Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2012, 10:32   #1

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55
A Shout out to all Mariners

Ok,,as some of you have read, i have gotten myself into a real pickle.
I Purchased a 31 foot Tri-Maran over the internet (i know i know,,should have done this,,or should have done that) circumstances dictated otherwise, anyhow i paid my money and i took my chances and i am happy with the boat so far.
I am still not able to cross the border yet until all visas have been issued to me,,this is something which may take a while at my local embassy.
Anyhow,,i am still in good contact with the previous owner and am on good terms with him.
I have done good diligence within the limits of my ability (coast guard checks etc) and the boat is clean.
The previous owner wants to help but there is not allot he can do,,but he's willing.
So i am asking the community here for suggestions or options which do not involve selling the boat, or giving it away.
What if i offered to let someone use the boat for a period of six months say,,in exchange for bringing the boat to me?
Either in Mexico, or up here to British Columbia??
Do you all think this is doable?? what other suggestions Please,,,dont be shy.
(i really would rather keep my boat, rather than try sell it again)

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 10:50   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: A Shout out to all Mariners

Do you have the option of paying someone who is qualified to move the boat for you?

I don't think any delivery captains would opt for you letting them use the boat for free in exchange for delivering the boat. They need to make a living as well.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 10:59   #3

I was thinking if a person or persons who wished to take a sailing vacation could use the boat and whilst doing so,,make their last port of call to be wherever i am....its like if someone offered you the use of their motor-home for six months in exchange for delivery.
Trust always has to start with one person,,and then adopted by another.
I do not have the financial means to pay for a delivery captain,,(i am on a medical disability pension) and am trying to bank enough to satisfy the visa requirements on my end.

Old 15-07-2012, 11:12   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Nemo i know your tween a rock and a hard spot!! but again I think your getting yourself into a real bad spot doing something like this !! the regstration paper work would be a real hassel for anyone useing a boat that has the paper work problems you have with it would put themselfs at risk, and you can't trust everyone in the world !! The problems would only get worse if you were to pick this boat up in mexico or Canada, without getting your Visa worked out !! as you know you will need to change the paper work to Cali registration from Us Doc. in order for you to make the change to Canada Registration. I don't know how your gonna do it but takeing a chance like your asking for will only make it worse for you in the future !! I hope you get this figured out but this answer is a bad one ! Just my 2 cents !! Connie and I both hope you get the transfer to Canada soon !!
Old 15-07-2012, 11:35   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

I would try to get in touch with some young sailors from local racing community. People of college / uni age have long vacations so someone with good sailing skills might just like to fly out (you pay the ticket), get her ready (you pay the costs) and bring her home (if they are very young and eager, no cost to you).

Another option is to fly out a delivery skipper and pay him for the job.

Another option is to find a boatyard and ask the ex owner to store your boat there. Then you can collect her any time your visa paperwork is done.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 13:08   #6

Hi Bob & Connie
Your right when you say i may be getting myself into a bad spot thru trusting people,,,however as far as the registration goes,,i am getting the previous owner to de-register from the USCG then i will re-register here in Canada,,bill of sale and proper title will be accomplished No fear!!
I guess i am just chomping at the bit,,as i would like to just get on with it, but for all this sticky red tape.
Yours and Connies kind words are duly noted and added to my "gotta share some food with these folks real soon File" it does make a difference, especially when i am LandLocked like this.
Right now,,all the well meaning people in my life are suggesting that i sell the boat back to the previous owner,,or get the paperwork finished up and sell it online.
I dont find either of these options attractive,i want my boat Dammit!!
Stay tuned for the further adventures of Captain Kaos,,Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Nemo i know your tween a rock and a hard spot!! but again I think your getting yourself into a real bad spot doing something like this !! the regstration paper work would be a real hassel for anyone useing a boat that has the paper work problems you have with it would put themselfs at risk, and you can't trust everyone in the world !! The problems would only get worse if you were to pick this boat up in mexico or Canada, without getting your Visa worked out !! as you know you will need to change the paper work to Cali registration from Us Doc. in order for you to make the change to Canada Registration. I don't know how your gonna do it but takeing a chance like your asking for will only make it worse for you in the future !! I hope you get this figured out but this answer is a bad one ! Just my 2 cents !! Connie and I both hope you get the transfer to Canada soon !!

Old 15-07-2012, 13:15   #7

As of the present, i am in touch with the previous owner and he checks on her at the Harbor for me,,(i just cover his Gasoline) i am also in constant contact with the Harbor Master at San Rafael so as long as i keep paying the bills she is safe enough,,i am getting frustrated with the waiting though,,,ahh well... the vacationing younger crowd may provide the avenue of delivery.
And if not,,,as you say,,ultimately the visa will be a reality and i can GIT ER DUN !!! well i hope so,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I would try to get in touch with some young sailors from local racing community. People of college / uni age have long vacations so someone with good sailing skills might just like to fly out (you pay the ticket), get her ready (you pay the costs) and bring her home (if they are very young and eager, no cost to you).

Another option is to fly out a delivery skipper and pay him for the job.

Another option is to find a boatyard and ask the ex owner to store your boat there. Then you can collect her any time your visa paperwork is done.

b.

Old 18-07-2012, 19:38   #8

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

Clearly I don't understand the visa problem - I thought that Canadians could just cross the border for a couple of weeks without any problem. It seems to me that some years ago I went into Canada from the USA without needing a visa, so I assumed the reverse was also true. Apparently I have been in a third world country too long - just get a friend to drive you to San Rafael using small back roads to cross the - typically unfenced and unguarded - border. Then just pick up your boat and leave - you can likely fix any resulting paperwork when you get back to Canada, but by then you will have your boat. It is always easier to get forgiveness than to get permission. Note that the USA is unlikely to be that anal, after all we have twelve million illegal aliens permanently in the country - why would they bother with one Canadian who is leaving anyway (assuming that they even notice you).
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 19:50   #9

I am still a British Citizen,even though i have lived 41 years in Canada and have never been back to England,,My Parents died here, My Children Where Born Here.
Until 9/11 my status wasn't an issue.
While it is true that Canadians can usually cross the border with very little bother.
But what you suggest could get me into a world of hurt, i could lose my freedom, my boat,and everything else i have.

As a Foreign National Permanent Resident i do not have the same rights.
Even though my country men have stood on the corner of Kandahar and Kabul together with our U.S. Brothers in Arms, we are treated second class.
It burns me up,,but ya gotta follow the rules of the day and hope for better days ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post
Clearly I don't understand the visa problem - I thought that Canadians could just cross the border for a couple of weeks without any problem. It seems to me that some years ago I went into Canada from the USA without needing a visa, so I assumed the reverse was also true. Apparently I have been in a third world country too long - just get a friend to drive you to San Rafael using small back roads to cross the - typically unfenced and unguarded - border. Then just pick up your boat and leave - you can likely fix any resulting paperwork when you get back to Canada, but by then you will have your boat. It is always easier to get forgiveness than to get permission. Note that the USA is unlikely to be that anal, after all we have twelve million illegal aliens permanently in the country - why would they bother with one Canadian who is leaving anyway (assuming that they even notice you).

Old 18-07-2012, 20:11   #10

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

You have been in Canada so long, why not become a Canadian citizen, or is that not possible,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 20:13   #11

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

The visa rules are sometimes mystifying. When I was completing my circumnavigation in the Bahamas, I met a large British catamaran who planned to visit the USA. Unfortunately, they did not have a visa. They could not enter by sea on their catamaran without a visa. They got on an airplane in the Bahamas and flew to Barabados to get a visa from the US embassy. They flew back to the Bahamas, and only then did they sail into Fort Lauderdale, USA.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 20:25   #12

There has never been anything in the way of my becoming a citizen of Canada, when i was younger i used to think "why should i? after all we have the same Queen?" then as i got older and married and had kids, and after my parents passed on. i never thought about it much,after all...i had the same rights as any other Canadian right??

My Mother and Brothers and Sisters became Citizens,,i was one of the only hold outs,,but it has never become an issue until now,,and then only to the United States.
I suppose there was never enough reasons to become a Citizen, i didn't feel any different anyhow and was never treated any different than any other Canadian.
But these day's i may have to just get it out of the way and do the deed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
You have been in Canada so long, why not become a Canadian citizen, or is that not possible,

Old 18-07-2012, 21:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo55 View Post
There has never been anything in the way of my becoming a citizen of Canada, when i was younger i used to think "why should i? after all we have the same Queen?" then as i got older and married and had kids, and after my parents passed on. i never thought about it much,after all...i had the same rights as any other Canadian right??

My Mother and Brothers and Sisters became Citizens,,i was one of the only hold outs,,but it has never become an issue until now,,and then only to the United States.
I suppose there was never enough reasons to become a Citizen, i didn't feel any different anyhow and was never treated any different than any other Canadian.
But these day's i may have to just get it out of the way and do the deed.
Buraucracy, They will drive you mad, Canadian Citizen ship would not take you long as you would have all the prerequisites already,

We have the same Queen, But I am not Canadian, I suppose I would have the same difficultys if I went to Canada,
Old 18-07-2012, 21:27   #14

Yeah,,probably,
It'll take 18 months from initial application,,and Citizenship test,,then another wait for the Ceremony (swearing in) Bureaucrats scare me since they don't seem to be governed by the same laws of cause and effect like the rest of us,on either side of the border,,but never mind,,mustn't get to political.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Buraucracy, They will drive you mad, Canadian Citizen ship would not take you long as you would have all the prerequisites already,

We have the same Queen, But I am not Canadian, I suppose I would have the same difficultys if I went to Canada,

Old 18-07-2012, 22:16   #15

They scare me too, I stay away from them,

Local yacht club near you, See if there are any sailors that want a holiday,
They can fly down and sail your boat back home for you.

WIN WIN, they get a free holiday and you get your boat home, Its worth a try,

Cheers,
Brian,