Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 13:12   #1
Lt.

35-40 Liveaboard Tri - Is it Possible ???

I've been thinking, I really like cats in this same size range, an that's what I've been leaning towards the last couple months. But now I'm thinking of tris, I like the look of some of tris in this size range. So, I've been thinking about them as an option. So I have a couple questions about them. (Tris)
1: can you use the pontoons for storage? Of either provisions, water, or fuel, or other uses.
2: just how much faster are they then a similar sized mono or cat?
3: how are they compared to a similar sized cat or mono with inside living space?
4: how much more deck space do they have then a similar sized mono or cat?
5: are they any harder or easier to sale than a similar sized mono or cat?
6: and just what could I get for $150,000-200,000 USD?

And when I say liveaboard, I mean for 2 people 6 months a year, and a few more on occasion for a for a matter of days on little trips.

Any input is appreciated, and feel free to add in any other information you see as relevant to my question(s).
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 16:51   #2

Re: 35-40 liveaboard tri, is it possible???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
I've been thinking, I really like cats in this same size range, an that's what I've been leaning towards the last couple months. But now I'm thinking of tris, I like the look of some of tris in this size range. So, I've been thinking about them as an option. So I have a couple questions about them. (Tris)
1: can you use the pontoons for storage? Of either provisions, water, or fuel, or other uses.
3: how are they compared to a similar sized cat or mono with inside living space?

And when I say liveaboard, I mean for 2 people 6 months a year, and a few more on occasion for a for a matter of days on little trips.

Any input is appreciated, and feel free to add in any other information you see as relevant to my question(s).
I am receiving my Corsair 37' in 2 weeks and know of a couple people living off them. Perfect for 2 as a live a board. The Searunners much cheaper due to age and usually homebuilt, but have more room but less performance. In your price range I would look at one of those two models. Both used. A corsair 36 around $200,000. Searunner $30,000 to $100,000.

1) The Amas (Pontoons) can store lighter items only. Not fuel.
2) The Corsair would be much faster than 95% of the boats out there. An owner I talked to averaged 11 knots an hour for days on end. Can reach over 20 knots. The Searunner probably closer to a good cat of similar size.
3) A 37 Corsair would be about the same as a 35' monohull. A searunner similar to a monohull of the same length.
4) Same as a Mono or a bit less but the tramps are lounge space on the corsair. Searunners usually have a closed area where the tramps are.
5) No harder.
6) Searunner 40 2001 Searunner Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Corsair 36 2005 Corsair Marine Corsair 36 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Mike w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 17:26   #3
Lt.

Now, just saying, the boat doesn't have to be a speed demon, but I would like it to go fairly fast so that it takes less time on a passage.
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 17:29   #4

Go for the Searunner. Also think you could sell it for close to what you paid for it several years later.
Old 09-06-2012, 20:45   #5

Boat: too many

I've sailed an F28 off shore San Diego and in the gusty mountain winds of Lake Tahoe, very fast but not for comfortable cruising, just too small. However for you speed freaks out there (I know, I'm probably the only one) but S/V Hecla just sold, a Chris White design tri Hammerhead, past winner of the Transpac (line honors) and last known asking price was only $285K. I know it is race boat spartan, but at 54' with a beam of 34 1/2', there is creature comforts, just no fancy (and heavy) joinery. This is the kind of performance that when zee says "your only 430 nm away, swing by" you can say "conditions are good for tomorrow, see ya in 24 hours".

It sold out of Oakland, California, just down the road a bit.

Two nav stations, gotta love that.........

And decent creature comforts......

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:57   #6

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'
Re: 35-40 Liveaboard Tri - Is it Possible ???

The Cross tris and Horstman Tristars are good boats to consider. InOZ the Nicol's are similar. All boats should be well surveyed but a tri can get you a lot more boat for the money. A wing deck cruising tri such as these is very easy to move around on and drier as well.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:16   #7

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I think you need to go bigger to get usable space in the amas although the older Pivers might be an exception. Some of these have fairly beamy amas almost touching the main hull. Usually a 40' cat will have more room than a 40' tri.
This site allows private listings which YW does not. I think it's part of the YW empire. Notice the date at the bottom of each listing. Newest ones are last. There is a very unique 50' tri at the bottom.
Sailboat Listings sailboats for sale by owner.=
There is also a 50' cat that needs some work in the Carib for under 50K. It's clinker built. What was the name?
BTW. That owner of Hecla stripped the boat when he bought it. It even had aircon. He sold it and bought an Atlantic 57 called..what else...Hekla. Lucky dog.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:48   #8

Boat: too many

Got to hand it to you Bob, you stay current on every multi that is a serious performer.
The catamaran Hekla | Exploring the World by Sail from A to Z
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:25   #9

Boat: Skookum 53'

I had a 35' Piver for a short time, and the main cabin felt quite tight, not like the previous poster's photos.
Old 10-06-2012, 14:50   #10

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Got to hand it to you Bob, you stay current on every multi that is a serious performer.
The catamaran Hekla | Exploring the World by Sail from A to Z
You and I are alike in some ways. We want fast boats but we may not buy one. I still like to look. That Hecla tri was quite the boat.
That 50' clinker built was a Peter Spronk boat. Only $39,000. I'll bet it's pretty fast too.
SPRONK SPRONK 50 KETCH for sale on Boatindex
I think the Searunners are the best compromise of space and speed.
Old 10-06-2012, 15:52   #11

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I've got a 40' Searunner and have lived on it 30+ years (though I'm currently living on land while overhauling the interior). I use my floats for light storage: bikes, fishing rods, surfboards, extra sails, i.e., anything bulky and relatively light. Heavy stuff goes in the main hull bilges (battery banks, scuba tanks and weights, heavy tools, etc. The boat will make Hilo, Hawaii from San Diego in ten days. Beam reaching in 10-12 knots of wind yields 10+ knots of boat speed. And the motion is really nice.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 18:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I've got a 40' Searunner and have lived on it 30+ years (though I'm currently living on land while overhauling the interior). I use my floats for light storage: bikes, fishing rods, surfboards, extra sails, i.e., anything bulky and relatively light. Heavy stuff goes in the main hull bilges (battery banks, scuba tanks and weights, heavy tools, etc. The boat will make Hilo, Hawaii from San Diego in ten days. Beam reaching in 10-12 knots of wind yields 10+ knots of boat speed. And the motion is really nice.
30 years! wow. Sounds like a wonderful life. Where do you stay and do you travel during the seasons?
Old 05-08-2012, 17:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post

38' Fiberglass epoxy Harris trimaran on Ebay under $60k is a steal/high quality build
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 20:27   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

I think this boat has potential for someone.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/27738

I have no interest in the boat. Boats such as these are usually on the West Coast and this is Central Gulf Coast. Should be folks looking for this one.
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 20:30   #15

Boat: Ed Hostman Tristar 38 Trimaran
I have always thought a trimaran is the best of bread. You have the benefits of multihulls for speed and you could totally smash one of the outer hulls and not sink. You could capsize and have a place for shelter until help could arrive. But cats are so well embraced by the affluent because of the back porch living space and beautiful bridge layouts that the resale value is always IMHO better on the cats. So resale and most other esthetic aspects you should probably go with the cat. I personally would rather go less flashy and IMO safer cruiser, the trimaran. The one in the previous post, if built to high standards is probably one of the better examples so I would check it out.
CapnBrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard