Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2016, 23:00   #16

Boat: Catana 471
Re: 2007 Lagoon 570 sold for less than $450k - what do you think, guys?

Well said! Alan. The operating costs will be and are staggering if you don't do all your own work and possess the background as you have only started to list.
This topic has been repeated many, many times on this Forum.

This boat selling for that price (probably lower) is a classic example of "get me outa this boat... "
Ranchero, suggest you place other priorities higher on your wish list than where to put a jetski.

Bob
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 03:01   #17

Well, like a said - it's just a beginning. I just started thinking about this, and definitely not "jumping on this in next 5 months".
I understand the point of "scaring me before I can do many mistakes", but I'm not type of guy who "just does it" (or at least not, when such amount of money involved).
I just started my research, and any USABLE info would be MUCH appreciated.
When I was 28, I came to other country with $10K in my pocket, not speaking english AT ALL, and as you might guess, I've survived so far . So I know how to live on budget, and I know how and where I can save.

So back to "scary parts" Throw me the approx. numbers. As I stated, I can fix or modify ANY of boat systems myself, including electronics, electrical and mechanical. I can retrofit different engine if needed. I can clean and paint hull just like SV Delos did. I can repair fiberglass hull if needed. So there will be just heavy work where I would need help.
Insurance? How much? Moorage? How much for 57ft boat?

Boat NEVER would be registered, insured or operated in US, so I guess, all US regulations regarding licensing, inspecting etc might as well go to hell
I was rebuilding cars for quite while, so I KNOW how shitty government system works and this is one of the main reasons why I want escape all this BS.
If my guests (I hope I'm allowed to have guests on board? ) decide to give me a little contribution - is it criminal?
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 03:13   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by REsCat View Post
This boat selling for that price (probably lower) is a classic example of "get me outa this boat... "
Ranchero, suggest you place other priorities higher on your wish list than where to put a jetski.
Bob
Let's just say I NEVER bought car from dealer and NEVER in my life had stealership or mechanic even touching my car. And never had anyone working on my house (well, not true - had roof replaced by someone before I learned how to do it myself ). So, "fixer-upper" - this is my dream, not nightmare.
Jet-ski? Well, like I said, I don't know much about your world, and so far can have these things on my list, which I know about. But if I would have to "sacrifice everything I like" and live on 30' boat than...it certainly will be no fun for me. What's the point of doing this if there's no fun?
Old 19-02-2016, 03:25   #19

I mean - just look at SV Delos! They have almost no tools, have very little mechanical knowledge, and STILL manage to travel the world in 53ft boat AND manage to live on $1000-$1500 per month including boat maintenance, food, drinks and recreation for whole crew! From my point of view, it's nearly unbelievable!

Tags
lagoon