Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 10:49   #16

Re: 1988 Shuttleworth Advantage 44 - Too old?

If the survey is ok grab it You won't find a better designed cat at the price
Slainte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 13:18   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to DerekKelsall

For foam sandwich structure, 1988 is not old in my experience. I can point to 20 year older passing survey with no structural issues. If my rule of "build in nothing which can rot" and to my materials spec (basically unchanged since Toria) I can almost guarantee more decades of trouble free sailing. A good paint system is part of the spec. Recent figures ref. durability - Aqua Blue launched 1976 has had one rigging replacement and 1.5 total repaints in that time. Tinkerbelle Kelly 45 similar. Both sailed regularly for several months every year and in the hands of original owners. Tinkerbelle's owner talked to me a couple of weeks ago about what he liked best - single central center board and single rudder for tacking and windward ability. John often added carbon to the specs we used when John worked for me.

My guess is that this is the Advantage built by Burkhard Bader - which I saw in build alongside some of mine.

Happy boating,

Derek.
DerekKelsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 15:31   #18

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Orana 44

We took a look at her today. Definitely very solidly build. The hulls feel very strong and the mast is heavily stayed, almost too much in fact because the backstays limit you to a conventionally-shaped main. But you get the feeling that the basic platform is pretty bullet-proof. On the negative side there is very little bridge deck clearance and the current owners admitted there was considerable hull-slap on the trip across the Tasman recently. The main problem for me personally is the headroom - at 6ft4" I just don't fit. The interior and electronics also will need a lot of work. But for anyone looking for a solid hull and a decent DIY project this would be a good buy at US$120k.

Thanks again for all the feedback!
browone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 17:15   #19

Thanks LeeV. I found out that it was built in 1988 in Cornwall UK by advantage multihulls. I think they built 10 of them.
Old 07-02-2016, 18:50   #20
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Looks like the Advantage that used to be named Josephine.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:07   #21

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by browone View Post
Thanks LeeV. I found out that it was built in 1988 in Cornwall UK by advantage multihulls. I think they built 10 of them.
I'm sorry it doesn't work for you, but 6'4" is tough with that layout. I have standing headroom in my C-36, but you'd probably still be hitting the ceiling! ;-)

Best of luck in the search. Schionning has some awesome boats as well!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:21   #22

Thanks leeV, I will check out Schionning too. There are a few on the market here in New Zealand.
Old 20-02-2016, 23:01   #23

Boat: 46ft performance cat

Nice to here all the comments re Carpe Vita , formerly Josephine and originally Opium which was it turned out actually an Advantage 43 which is a lighter design with finer hulls, empty weight according to the plans was designed as 4000 kg and max 7000kg fully loaded, very light for a bridgedeck cat at 43ft 6 x 28 ft. We have sold her a few days ago and have unloaded a lot of stuff that will allow better clearance and performance , we really should have dropped a lot of this weight before crossing from Aus to NZ last year but did not know what we may need to repair on the way. The new owner is excited to get the boat and made a decision within 48 hrs of viewing, no mucking about , we agreed a price and job done the Kiwi way, coincidently I had bought his last 46ft cat from him some years ago. I am impressed by his carpe vita attitude ''sieze life'' i could hardly believe it when he revealed he is well past 70, I hope I am so full of life in 20 years.

Brownone you should look at a Fusion 40 [there is one at Gulf Harbour where my cat now is] if you can afford one plus give me a call if you may consider a syndicate purchase, not with me but I know of a group that is looking to share a nice cat based in Auckland.
tomlinson4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shuttleworth