Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2015, 13:51   #76

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: 12th edition of Transat Jacques Vabre: 8 Tris (Multi50 & Maxis) started on Sunday

The long white thing is:

http://megayachtnews.com/wp-content/...eck-bd80-2.jpg

One source says it is a Turkish carbon. She looks carbon from the dock allright.

Depending on who drives her, she can take the cruising division IMHO.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 16:15   #77

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: 12th edition of Transat Jacques Vabre: 8 Tris (Multi50 & Maxis) started on Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
The long white thing is:

One source says it is a Turkish carbon. She looks carbon from the dock allright.

b.
Not wanting to piss the OP staying out of topic, but that Carbon white thing looks pretty ugly to me. A azuree 46 is doing reasonably well on the ARC+. I like the boat: very nice interior, good quality, nice design (Humphreys) at a very good price. A very nice cruising boat...and Turkish too They are doing a new 40ft boat. Posted about that on my blog.

If you can have a look at the Pogo50 interior I believe you will be surprised, I mean kind of zen, but in a kind of nice way and it has everything you need for long range cruising if you are a sportive sailor.

There's a thread about the ARC+, I will open one for the ARC if nobody else does it. Yes, I have been following the mini transat too: Great race
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 03:48   #78

Boat: still looking for the right Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
The long white thing is:

b.
barnakiel... pls keep the topic in view. I suppose "Turkish carbon" deserves an own thread.

Just helpfully that the discussions dont swap around from A to Z and confuse people who like to re-read this thread about Transat Jaques Vabre 2015 !

Happy sailiny !
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 04:57   #79

On class 40 Bestaven (1st) went away from Sorel (2th) that is know at 26nm with 1110 to go. Sorel explains what is happening (translated):

".... we spent the night maneuvering, Jib, Code 0, gennaker and spinnaker that's a LOT! Not very relaxing... Regarding the race, we are in a phase where the wind comes more and stronger and is moving in front of us. This means that the Conservative (Bestaven) touches this new wind long before us and therefore wins us time before we also get this new wind! Hard hard ! It is just under 2 hours from us, so it gets ahead of each new phase of 2 hours of time without anything we can do! This is the principle of the elastic! Hard to accept but impossible to counter currently. There is no other option as strategy than sailing south. By 3 to 4 days to Rio, there will be a stationary cold front to negotiate, may be on this phase there will be something to do ... To be continued!"

Transat Jacques Vabre 2015 : Le Havre - Itajai. Suivi Cartographique
Old 14-11-2015, 05:12   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip JayR View Post
barnakiel... pls keep the topic in view. I suppose "Turkish carbon" deserves an own thread.

Just helpfully that the discussions dont swap around from A to Z and confuse people who like to re-read this thread about Transat Jaques Vabre 2015 !

Happy sailiny !
I opened a thread about the ARC. A trimaran will do it, some cats and lots of monohulls (most of them are making the ARC+). You are welcomed there to look at the performance at the difference types of boats and crews.

The ARC thread is here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...95#post1962095
Old 14-11-2015, 06:45   #81

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip JayR View Post

Happy sailiny !

Aye aye, Sir! Indeed posted under wrong thread! Apologies to all readers here!

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 08:17   #82

Interesting development on the Class 40 race: Sorel is trying to play a wild card going for a more risky routing option as the last resource to win the race overtaking Bestaven: He went offshore, losing a lot of miles (for now) hoping to get a clean way to the finish, while Bestaven will be sailing with very weak winds.

I can see what Sorel is trying to do and why (you can too if you play with the wind option on the tracker). It is a long shoot, but the only one they can play.

It will be interesting to see how it will work.

There is another duo that is making a big race, with some bad luck on the mix: Duc/Lebas that were among the leaders of the race when they had rudder problems and had to stop for repairs at Cabo Verde. They departed from there in 4th, at 270nm from the first. They recovered 90nm to the leader and are now 3rd.

Old 17-11-2015, 02:47   #83

Well, it worked!!! Not in the lead and I don't know if they will manage that but that somewhat risky maneuver of making a big detour offshore allowed Sorel, the 2th to close on the first, Bestaven.

They are now at 13nm with 410nm to the finish, going slightly faster (0.6K difference in speed over the last 4 hours), with a slightly better wind angle to the finish line.

They are at about 40/48 hours from the finish and have stronger winds ahead. Sorel only needs to do more 0.3K then Bestaven till the finish to catch the first.

A Hot finish!!! Those guys should be exhausted, I am sure they are pushing to the limit and in the light winds and variable ones (with some stronger ones on the mix) they have been sailing that means working the sails all the time and changing them frequently.

Old 19-11-2015, 10:15   #84

And the two first on class40 have arrived. Sorel did not manage to catch Bestaven but both boats arrived with a difference of a bit over 10nm.

The fight In the words of the co-Skipper from the duo that won the race:

Pierre Brasseur, co-skipper Le Conservateur: " ... Maxime and Sam just did not stop coming back at us. It was a nightmare scenario until this morning, only then were we a bit more serene."

And the view from the chasing boat on the words of the boat designer and co-skipper:

Samuel Manuard, co-skipper VandB "We believed until the end, right up until four or five hours from the finish. The conditions remained uncertain with light winds at the coast and thunderstorms. But finishing behind Yannick and Pierre is fine, they are a great duo, two very good sailors who know their boat well. They were effective all the time. Sometimes we lacked a bit of experience, especially downwind, where we struggled to find our angles at times. And we broke our wind direction indicator on our second night. The boat is new, launched only two months before the start. And so we did not have so much time to train. That is maybe what held us back a little.”

The movies from the finish, first the winner then the 2th:
Arrivée de Le Conservateur, vainqueur en Class40 ( Yannick Bestaven - Pierre Brasseur )-Transat Jacques Vabre 2015 - vidéo Dailymotion
Arrivée de V and B ( Maxime Sorel - Sam Manuard ), 2ème en Class40 - Transat Jacques Vabre 2015 - vidéo Dailymotion

Tags
maxi