Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2015, 10:09   #1

Boat: 2002 Bavaria 40
Yellow Battery Light on Bavaria DC Panel

I've got a 2002 Bavaria 40 and the big yellow light has just come on beside a picture of a half-full battery with a down arrow. (see pic) We don't have the original manual as we just got the boat and aren't sure what this could mean. Clearly it's to do with the batteries, but what? The light stays on if the battery charger is turned off. We just replaced house batteries with two AGM 4D's, but starter is a lead acid. Photo of Panel: bavaria-light_zpsitairh3t.jpg Photo by redrobin123 | Photobucket
sailprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 05:30   #2

Re: Yellow Battery Light on Bavaria DC Panel

What is the voltage of the battery with the yellow light? I would double check with a meter.

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 10:01   #3

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

When we bought our boat, we found on board an excellent instructional book, 12v Bible I think, which was well written, had no stupid mistakes (like stranded wire carries more current due to skin effect, thank you Painless hotrod wiring ) and was easy to understand. That and a Harbor Freight 6 buck multimeter will help with a lot of troubleshooting.
I've been in electronics for over 60 years, so things that are obvious to me are black magic to most people, so my wife smacks me a lot when I start talking down to her or others.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:57   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailprincess View Post
I've got a 2002 Bavaria 40 and the big yellow light has just come on beside a picture of a half-full battery with a down arrow. (see pic) We don't have the original manual as we just got the boat and aren't sure what this could mean. Clearly it's to do with the batteries, but what? The light stays on if the battery charger is turned off. We just replaced house batteries with two AGM 4D's, but starter is a lead acid. Photo of Panel: bavaria-light_zpsitairh3t.jpg Photo by redrobin123 | Photobucket
It is telling you that one of your batteries is delpleted. Since you just replaced the house batteries - it is probably your old lead acid starter battery that is nearing the end of it useful life. I notice that the battery light just below the yellow one is green.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, bavaria