Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2020, 06:21   #1

Yanmar 3gm30F motor mount replacement cost

Hello,
I believe I need new mounts, I was quoted $1120 in labor ($1794 total) -- does it really take ~10 hours to do this? I feel like an engine could be swapped in that amount of time, seems really high to lift, replace, and drop. Any feedback on this? Thanks!
Sail365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:26   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Yanmar 3gm30F motor mount replacement cost

Depends on access of course and also the time taken to access and re-align the prop shaft though 10 hours does seem high.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:42   #3

Its a freedom 35 so compared to most boats I think the access is pretty easy breazy. I look forward to more thoughts! It's tough to negotiate so I may need to shop around. I'd also welcome any recommendations in Annapolis area. This is Bay Shore marine, who I really like the quality of their work so far but that labor seems inflated. Thanks again!
Sail365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:15   #4

Boat: Freedom 38

Hey there, Sail 365. I have a Freedom 38 (Kynntana) and replaced the motor mounts last year with a friend. I don't know if the engine space is comparable to your F35, but mine has enough room underneath to use a small car jack. Once lifted just slightly, it was pretty straightforward to swap out each one. We preset the nuts on the bolts so they would be pretty much at the same height. Then checked alignment. I don't recall how long it took, but my guess is 2 people about 4-5 hours each sounds about right. There's also probably some fudge in your quote for things that can go sideways and take more time. I did spend a day or so making sure the old bolts were suitably soaked in Aerokroil so they would turn when we needed them to. A couple had gotten pretty corroded.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:28   #5

Boat: Beneteau 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Hey there, Sail 365. I have a Freedom 38 (Kynntana) and replaced the motor mounts last year with a friend. I don't know if the engine space is comparable to your F35, but mine has enough room underneath to use a small car jack. Once lifted just slightly, it was pretty straightforward to swap out each one. We preset the nuts on the bolts so they would be pretty much at the same height. Then checked alignment. I don't recall how long it took, but my guess is 2 people about 4-5 hours each sounds about right. There's also probably some fudge in your quote for things that can go sideways and take more time. I did spend a day or so making sure the old bolts were suitably soaked in Aerokroil so they would turn when we needed them to. A couple had gotten pretty corroded.
How long did the alignment effort take?
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:09   #6

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

there is a wonderful spreadsheet on the internet that helps aligning, all you need is a caliper to measure on the shaft flange, it will translate to how many quaterturns you have to screw your engine up or down.

Unfortunately it is on my boat, this is 1/3 around the world right now.
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:26   #7

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

As engines go the 3GM30F is not that heavy. In doing my engine replacement I had to make custom mounts for the engine. I muscled it in and out several times. A few blocks of wood and a lever or small scissors jack you should be able to do it.

Shaft alignment did not take that much time for me I had very good access all around. If you count the threads to the nut on each motor mount before you remove the old ones it will give you a starting point for the new mounts. That should save you some time.

I would think you can do the job for a lot less than your quote.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:42   #8

If the guy(s) doing the work are really good and you end up with “almost perfect” engine/shaft alignment, the peace of mind is probably worth a thousand bucks. The geometry of getting everything port/starboard and up/down just so is not all that easy, especially if the current installation is somewhat faulty.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:45   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

It is pretty simple to support the engine with a small scissor jack and a small piece of plywood under the jack and between the jack and the oil pan.

You can then unbolt the brackets one at a time that sit on the mounts and swap out the mounts one at a time.

You should be able to keep the "settings" ie. turns on the threaded studs that go into the brackets fairly close and once all the mounts have been replaced, then call the $200 per hour mechanic and just have him do the alignment.

If you are not "all thumbs", read up about aligning the flanges and get someone to help you adjust the mount heights and positions while you measure with the feeler gauge.

Be aware that Yanmar mounts for 3GM30s are of two different hardnesses. If you need a shop manual that describes all this, I have a digital copy I can email or I think the Yanmar shop manual is posted on this website, somewhere.

I found Bay Shore to be quite reasonable with their parts pricing, but changing engine mounts and aligning the flanges should take about 4 hours max.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 15:04   #10

Boat: Freedom 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail365 View Post
I really like the quality of their work so far but that labor seems inflated. Thanks again!
Agreed! I’m no expert but it seems they know you trust them so far so they’re pushing their boundaries a bit.
Would I do it myself? Not me. Maybe you, but I’m hoping you can get some competitive bids.

Best of luck
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 21:37   #11

I replaced them on an Island Packet 32. The mounts themselves were about $150 each. Total for me was around $1500. On my boat front and rear mounts are not same. Make sure you get right parts from Yanmar. I used Blaster on the nuts for 2 days prior to mechanic coming. It took quite some time to realign prop shaft and motor.
Handsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:43   #12

Boat: CS 36 Canadian Sailcraft

Labor about ONE boat unit (bring on another thousand) not too bad in big picture of annual costs. Save it if you can but in next 20 years you will not miss it either.
Bill Youmans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, men, motor, yanmar