Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2012, 11:31   #1

Boat: Nicholson 33
Unhappy Yanmar 2GM20

Hi, can you please help?! Engine stopped after 2 hrs sailing just got back into lock gates and it stopped! Fuel lift pump now replaced. Fuel injector pump and injectors now overhauled. Diesel checked and is clean and clear. This has cost £240 so far but engine still not starting. Diesel is getting to pump but is not spurting out when being checked, so looks like fuel starvation but at a loss to know why.
Any ideas anyone?
Could water come back from exhaust be anything to do with it, this is just an idea that I'd appreciate comments on.
Thanks
imeldagarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 12:18   #2

Boat: 34 Irwin
Water in the cylinders would defiantly cause problems! Pull injectors and try to turn by hand. Get all water out !
Samantha ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 12:29   #3

Unhappy Re: Yanmar 2GM20

Thanks Samantha Ann, cylinders clear. Diesel not under enough pressure at top of injector pump, very weak flow. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 17-07-2012, 13:30   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Yanmar 2GM20

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeldagarland View Post
Thanks Samantha Ann, cylinders clear. Diesel not under enough pressure at top of injector pump, very weak flow. Any ideas? Thanks
Weak flow,sounds like it has a bad prostate......I have the same engine and it did the same thing as yours,A fellow came over and lifted a lever on the left side close to the top of the engine and then turned over the engine several times and it started getting fuel..I dont know what the lever is called ...good luck...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 13:49   #5

Thanks Tropicalescape, already tried that to no avail unfortunately!
Old 17-07-2012, 13:57   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quick and free check. Pull out both of the injectors, detach the fuel lines from the high pressure pump, re attach the lines to the pump and injectors in such a way that you can hang the injectors over the side of the engine by the lines, have someone crank over the engine (with the sea water valve closed) at full throttle and see if there is fuel coming out of the injectors (should be a very small amount in a very fine spray). If there is, put the whole mess back together and try to start at full throttle. If not, attempt to bleed the complete system. If there is no air you either have a high pressure pump with the shut off stuck or the pump is dead.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 14:18   #7

Unhappy Re: Yanmar 2GM20

Hi Sailmonkey. We have done pretty much all that you've suggested, including draining the system. It's looking more and more likely that the pump needs a funeral! Thanks very much!
Old 18-07-2012, 05:32   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See Chapter ‘X’ ➥ http://j30.us/files/yanmar-manual.pdf

Or ➥ http://j30.us/files/YanmarGM&HMWorkshopManual.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 07:43   #9

Question Re: Yanmar 2GM20

Thanks Gord May, we have that and have worked thru triubleshoots. Just having injector pump looked at again. Diesel gets to it plenty but no compression from pump to push it up. Will let u know outcome. Imelda G
Old 18-07-2012, 12:26   #10

Hi, we are looking thru service manual. It looks like problem may be with the cams and rods not pushing fuel through enough. Will be taking engine apart this weekend. Any suggestions anybody? Imelda G
Old 18-07-2012, 13:19   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

When you say cams and rods are you speaking of the plungers in the pump? Have you checked to be sure that the rack in the pump that rotates the plungers isn't stuck in the zero fuel position?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 12:12   #12

Hi Sailmonkey. The rack is moving freely. Some serious head scratching going on here! Thanks. Imelda G
Old 14-09-2014, 01:15   #13

I am having a problem too. I cleaned the injectors and fuel pump. at first my engine wouldn't start after I cleaned them up, it started but the rpm went high and wouldn't cut off even when I tried to choke the motor and use the kill switch. I had to disconnect the fuel from the fuel filter to kill the engine, I talked to a friend he has a yarmar too and its doing the same thing. could you help me identify my issues?
green bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 08:48   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Hum... So have you checked the fuel pickup in the diesel tank for a clog. Also have you changed your fuel filters. Bleeding can take some time too...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 09:30   #15

I am having a problem too. I cleaned the injectors and fuel pump. at first my engine wouldn't start after I cleaned them up, it started but the rpm went high and wouldn't cut off even when I tried to choke the motor and use the kill switch. I had to disconnect the fuel from the fuel filter to kill the engine, I talked to a friend he has a yarmar too and its doing the same thing. could you help me identify my issues?
what's your oil level? if too high the engine wont shut off and may runaway and destroy itself. If oil is high you likely have diesel in your sump.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, 2gm20, yanmar