Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2015, 07:36   #16

Re: Yankee 30 MK III w/ gas engine? Go or no go?

I owned an A4 and am still alive. This is particularly fortunate for me as it was in a wood boat. Don't know how I made it!

As for commission, that is between seller and broker. Many brokerages have a minimum commission or it's simply not worth taking the listing. A 10K boat is a perfect example of that.

The seller of the 10K boat chose to go with this brokerage for his own reasons. Those reasons are not applicable to you.

If you make an offer base it on what makes sense to you.

Good luck.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 08:16   #17

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Anyone that can give the OP a quick few things to look at or tools he should take? What should he take to poke / scrape at the boat? I would look for blisters on the bottom, soft spots on the deck. What to check on the rudder, keel bolts, anchor plate etc. I can not help with.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 09:04   #18

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

My opinion differs from barnakiel. Ten grand is significant money and if I lacked solid expertise or reliable friends with same a $1000 survey sounds like good insurance to me. Particularly true if you avoid a bad purchase or renegotiate the price based on the survey results.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 09:12   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
My opinion differs from barnakiel. Ten grand is significant money and if I lacked solid expertise or reliable friends with same a $1000 survey sounds like good insurance to me. Particularly true if you avoid a bad purchase or renegotiate the price based on the survey results.
I would buy a 10K boat without a surveyor, but I'm pretty experienced. I would NOT buy a 10k boat without hauling it and surveying the bottom myself. A bottom job can cost more than the boat cost.
If the surveyor finds even a minor blister problem, and if you still want the boat it could save you $5k. for an expenditure of maybe $600

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 09:22   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Anyone that can give the OP a quick few things to look at or tools he should take? What should he take to poke / scrape at the boat? I would look for blisters on the bottom, soft spots on the deck. What to check on the rudder, keel bolts, anchor plate etc. I can not help with.

Sure, here's one of the better ones I've seen:

Boat Inspection Trip Tips | SailboatOwners.com Forums
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 10:35   #21

Smile Re: Yankee 30 MK III w/ gas engine? Go or no go?

Hi Chowdan Let me state for fact that there is not a better built older classic than a Yankee yachts boat..was a dealer in the late 60sand early 70s for John Schomacher who was the builder. The 30 has a hull you will not wear out..have not heard of blister problems on the 30 or other early boats by yankee. The 30 is a very seaworthy yacht not to be classed by other era junk boats columbia and Catalina..although many of their larger boats were fine..As you will see the boat is narrow compared to other her size and vintage..the fine qualities of any boat are in the design, and you won't do better than S&S designs..But more important is to buy a boat you you love and learn to live with it..buying a boat because its a deal is going to be short lived and as expensive as one all together..seems like you need to learn about a boat unit as my wife says. Everything cost about a thousand to do right..? is how many units...If you love a boat it is worth it if not you will look for was to cut corners and will not turn out to be a happy experience
Don in Friday Harbor
dagranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 10:48   #22

BTW,

You might want to check this one out in Seattle.

Yankee 30s for Sale
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 11:11   #23

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

Atomic 4 engines were 4 cylinder and I believe 30 hp. The Yankee 30's I have seen had a Universal brand engine a 18 hp but not a Universal Atomic 4. Westerbeak bought Universal Motors back in 1990 or so.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 11:57   #24

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Hi everyone!

Well I came across a Yankee 30 MK III that is up for sale. Asking price is $10.5k, and is just across the bay from me.

The boat is running an Atomic 4 Gas 18hp engine, which i've always been inclined towards diesel engines. However the boat looks to be in "decent" shape from the photos.

She is currently on the hard, and the broker has stated from the seller:
Summer, 2014, maintenance and upgrades
- Faired, primed and repainted hull (BUMS)
- Bottom paint (two coats)
- Began repainting deck ( up to end of companionway cover
- Repaired (starboard lazarette near hinge) and repainted both lazarette covers
- Removed and resealed stern teak plate
- Sanded and teak oiled toerail
- Barnacle preventive paint on prop
- New impeller
- Replacing interior hull cover (head and quarter berth)
- Flushed and cleaned fuel tank
- Replace Life Sling bag
- Batteries disconnected for storage
- Anti freeze in engine for winterizing

To do (Summer, 2016 or sooner)

- Finish repainting last third of the topside
- Replace bilge pump
- Finish replacing interior hull cover in quarter berth

My biggest concern is the Gas engine. I dont know much about them, however i've always heard horror stories about them and have always been told to steer clear.

Insight? Opinions? We're going to look at it on Sunday at around 2pm

We will be mainly sailing her around Pudget Sound area in WA, but our long term goal is to POSSIBLY take her down the coast towards Caribbean for an extended break away from life, or is it a break into life?
Sounds like the boat is in Boat Haven, if so, definitely go to the moorage office and find out the price of yard space and moorage if you don't have a slip already lined up. The waiting list for slips in that size range is usually at least two years.
There is a limit as to how much money it is prudent to spend on a boat in that price range just for moorage alone.
As far as boat value, remember the "boat buyers rule of halves": offer 1/2 the asking price and you will get it for twice what it is really worth!!! :]
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 12:25   #25
vjm

Yankee 30s had the deck core run out all the way to the edge of the deck, and then a toerail added to cover it. As a result, many of them suffer from deck core issues. Pay particular attention to the deck, sound it extensively, ask a lot of questions about it, and if you survey then make sure the surveyor is very attentive to the issue.

I have been researching them for awhile, and that is the only negative thing I have heard.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 12:29   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
Yankee 30s had the deck core run out all the way to the edge of the deck, and then a toerail added to cover it. As a result, many of them suffer from deck core issues. Pay particular attention to the deck, sound it extensively, ask a lot of questions about it, and if you survey then make sure the surveyor is very attentive to the issue.

I have been researching them for awhile, and that is the only negative thing I have heard.
Wow... not heard that.. not good. You mean they actually cut thru the cored part to mate it to the hull and then bolted on a toe rail thru it? Never seen that.

Old 14-11-2015, 12:42   #27
vjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Wow... not heard that.. not good. You mean they actually cut thru the cored part to mate it to the hull and then bolted on a toe rail thru it? Never seen that.
No, no. When they installed the wood core, rather than having solid fiberglass at the edges, the core runs all the way to the edge. Then glass is on top of the core. This leaves a strip of core exposed to water all the way around the boat.

A toerail is installed over that strip of core to protect it. Needless to say, that wasn't terribly effective over the long run, and a lot of them have issues with the core rotting and the deck delaminating at the edge.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 12:46   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
No, no. When they installed the wood core, rather than having solid fiberglass at the edges, the core runs all the way to the edge. Then glass is on top of the core. This leaves a strip of core exposed to water all the way around the boat.

A toerail is installed over that strip of core to protect it. Needless to say, that wasn't terribly effective over the long run, and a lot of them have issues with the core rotting and the deck delaminating at the edge.
That's what was trying to say. Wow. Would definitely take that boat off my list.

Old 14-11-2015, 18:40   #29

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

If you are thinking of re-powering, it would be cheaper to buy a different boat with a good diesel already installed. Putting in a new engine will cause you tons of work, grief, effort and many many dollars. For an old boat in this price range, you could just as likely find a similar one with a diesel.

Its a buyers market. There are many old boats out there, many of which are in good shape with upgrades, and ready to sail. The good ones often cost about the same as the bad ones.

You should definitely have a look. The more you look the more you know. You can always make a low offer and let the PO decide...no harm in that. And don't worry, there are more boats out there for you. Enjoy the search.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 19:29   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Don't be in a hurry to buy a boat. Try to estimate the time or cost of changes you will make. If you don't live on the boat, you don't have near enough time for major changes without taking time from somewhere or someone else.
In my experience, it's better to spend a little more than take on a big project.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine