Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2009, 10:54   #1

Boat: Yankee 30
Yankee 30

Hi everyone, hope this finds you all well.

I was looking for people who have, or do, own a Yankee 30. Would you take it Around?

Why or why not?

All the best
Zach
thoamii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 11:35   #2

They are pretty good in a stiff blow, used to race against them. If I remember they are a fin and skeg design. Looked at one many years ago so cant really say much more... general impression was that they were very production built but stronger than your average fin keeler production boat...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 11:43   #3

By reputation these are lighter weight and fast but strong boats. However, they're not that common and they are all old. So condition is a major issue. This is easily illustrated by going to yachtworld - 2 listed, one asking 8,900, the other asking 65,000!!!:

yankee Boats For Sale

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 12:50   #4

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
The Yankee 30 has a strong reputation as a good cruising boat, well built. See attached owners site Yankee 30 Owners Association
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 13:03   #5

Yeah I hear ya, I have been looking at them for a week or so now.

I have talked to the owner of that 8.9K boat. He said he would send me the survey results when it is completed later this week.

The other... well I'm fairly sure that is a case of someone trying to get there money out of a total over-hull. I have seen a lot of people selling boats that are just way too over priced. It appears to be justification for upgrades that, in my opinion, either only help keep the boat at hull value or are unneeded and extravagant. But then again what the heck do I know

I have found one in the SF bay that has just been refit and is only 15K.

The fin keel thing has me a bit worried... I have been focusing on full keel designs for so long my thinking is a bit biased. Then I think of the Fastnet race and the Contessa 32.... this Yankee has very simaler lines and almost identical ratios (per Sail Calc. Pro)

All the best
Zach
Old 18-08-2009, 13:25   #6

It's hard to believe someone would want 65k for a Yankee 30... unless they are in FL and trying to beat the tax man by "having it for sale"
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 19:49   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Zach,
I know ratios are appealing but I certainly wouldn't hang my hat on them. I like "tried and true" and what other cruisers are sailing. The year of a boat doesn't matter to me and to be honest the older fiberglass the better. If you can find one in the 60s the glass will be good. Everything else might need replacement however.
I've owned fin and full keelers and sailed many others, daggerboard, centerboard, combinations and even leeboarders. The best at sea boats are full and 3/4 keelers for their downwind stability. Just behind that are long (not extra deep) fins.
regards,
Old 18-08-2009, 20:30   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
Yankee 30 is a nice stiff boat. Sailed one in 35 knots of breeze from Half Moon Bay to SF Bay with a 150% jib and a reefed main. worked out well. I wouldn't have a problem sailing a yankee most places. May need some reinforcment but a fine fast cruiser.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 20:37   #9

I think that there are quiet a few up in the SF area, they used race in their own one design class. You may be able to run down some of them for a sail. I think they sail (trac) pretty well down wind because of the way the skeg hung rudder flows from the keel.
Old 18-08-2009, 23:53   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
The Tartan 30 is a very similar boat to the Yankee 30. Both are S&S designs about the same era. IIRC, the Tartan is a little heavier but looking at the two, it's real hard to tell the difference. I wouldn't have any problem taking a Y30 a long ways offshore. Yankee tried to build a good, fast boat. Unfortunately, they couldn't/wouldn't do it cheaply and went out of business in the '73-'75 recession.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 13:31   #11

Hay thanks for all the info guys!!

I think I have settled on the Yankee. Im working with a guy on the price of one that seams to be in great shape. I hope to be sailing up the California coast in about a month.

All the best,
Zach
Old 21-08-2009, 15:16   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
I was in Santa Barbara last month and saw an Ericson 27 listed for $55k. It came with a 30 foot slip transfer. $5k for the boat, $50k for the slip!
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 16:45   #13

Congratulation and good luck, I love the S&S designed boats.
Old 21-08-2009, 19:17   #14

Boat: a sailing boat
yes

Yes,

But. And it is a big but - they are all old and to get her up to seagoing shape will take a lot of cash. Unless you are very lucky and buy cheap one that has been well cared for.

Definitely a safe and pretty boat. As far as remember S&S design.

Good luck,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 21:48   #15

Ok, here is his listing... I'll be checking her out in a week or so.

1971 Mark I,II (doesn't have horseshoe shaped settee). Recent Yanmar 2 cylinder diesel repower (rebuilt two seasons ago with paperwork). Everything is in sound condition. Mostly aesthetic work to be done if so desired. She was hauled two seasons ago to get a fresh bottom. She'll be getting hauled within the next week for a bottom job, hull and deck paint. Rerigged last summer; all new standing rigging (9/32 wire). Custom aluminum spreader upgrade. All running rigging is in great shape. Main and Jib halyards are about three seasons old. Main sheet and jib sheets are brand new last summer. New Mainsheet blocks (Garhauer). New Boom Two seasons ago. New Main in 2002--still has some life left. She's got one storm jib, a 105%er, and a #3 Genoa. Also a light reacher/drifter, and a tall boy. All spinnaker equipment is there, but there is no chute or pole. All new electronics. Rewired stem to stern. New DC distribution panel. Two new battery switches. One new group 27 battery. System is ready for a second or third battery. Brand new battery isolator included. No 110 or 220 service onboard. Brand new VHF with mast top antenna, brand new LED bow nav lights, brand new masthead 3 way nav and anchor light, brand new steamer/foredeck light, two new reading lights below decks--ready for several more as you wish. Shipmate two burner propane stove/oven in galley. One year old Fiberglass propane tank (25 lbs.). Brand new foot pump on galley and head sinks. Galley sink needs a new water tank (maybe addressed during haul out). Recent raritan head with 9 gallon holding tank. Raymarine ST2000 tiller pilot. Solar trickle charger. Whale manuel bilge pump in cockpit; recently rebuilt. Lots of extras included.

All the best,
Zach