Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2016, 06:26   #346

Re: Yacht type choice - Cultural differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
That is a horrible problem for people who don't like to clean up after themselves.
I am designing an all new PIZZA PIE laminate counter top.
You can drip, dribble, or splat almost anything on it and it blends in!
Perfect for people who hate to clean up after themselves.
Originally I was thinking to market it for college dorms... but maybe sailboats too!
What do you all think? Will it sell?
Rosa Purinna polished granite works well with pizza colours . . . . .

It's cheap too.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:37   #347

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I find I can just about get by in your country with my basic grasp of Americanish..
I can just about get by in the US speaking Americanish and I was born here.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:44   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
No.. Phillip and Joan..
Wakefield, Pellew, Tyne, Aurora and Dainty.. no Airey Fairy duties.
I was beginning to suspect you might have been my cousin (also a cruiser now).
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:54   #349

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Had a friend many years ago who was the most anal retentive human being I've ever known, never a hair out of place or picture even slightly off level on his wall. After years of looking he finally found his perfect partner, she was just as anal retentive as he. Their first house together had a white kitchen, white living room set, white carpets, white tile floors, white bedroom furniture, you get the idea. Since I already had kids I suggested they might want to maybe change the decor a little, they didn't, their first child was the perfect child, well behaved, polite, never a bit of bad behavior. Sooo, they thought, how hard can this be, lets have another, child #2 was the wild child, good, but energetic, full of piss and vinegar, "creative", suddenly the white decor didn't seem like so smart a move. After 2-1/2 years they sold that house, bought another and "redecorated", their not so anal retentive anymore, and a more kid friendly house is working just fine for them. Both kids have turned out just fine and mom and dad are a bit more laid back these days, go figure.
Sometimes what you want and what you need to live with are two different things.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:02   #350

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Prince? Or pauper in regards to passage making? I can't help but notice this interior seems to be a bit lacking when it comes to hand holds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
This discussion has no rights or wrongs with regard to aesthetics.... seaworthiness yes... if it misses on being a boat you can be safe on / in a seaway... forget it. Who care what it looks like...

There are ways to modernize and "lighten" up a yacht interior without losing its sea worthiness.... AND still have it comfortable and an inviting practical interior.

Just a guess... but probably the deep pockets are fine to be ON the water and not out at sea.... and so sea worthiness goes down the drain... And the builders are fine with these customer$.
Go and have a look at the big sailboats that are making the Atlantic loop (look at the ARC for instance) and you will discover many new Oysters, several recent Amel, Discovery, Gunfleet and many big mass production main market sailboats. Those are most brands of big yacht that are doing it.

You will find that there is no difference regarding number of handholds or interior design between the more expensive ones, that are considered great bluewater boats, and the less expensive ones, even if there is probably a quality difference in finish:

Amel 55:

Oyster 575:

Discovery 58:

Discovery 55:

Gunfleet 58

Oyster 825:

Jeanneau 57:

Hanse 575:

Bavaria 56:

Oceanis 55:

Contest 72:

As you can see there is no difference in what regards handholds on the mass production big yachts and on the Luxury ones, that are the ones that everybody considers as bluewater boats.

But I don't really understand what all this is about since if someone requires more than the handholds that are installed I am quite sure the brand, or the dealer, would be happy to install more for a new owner.

Seaworthiness of the boat and sailability is what cannot be added, in what regards stability and speed and it was in that regard that I said that the Jeanneau 64 was a Prince and quite able to rival with the more expensive of these boats (in speed, stability and seaworthiness) crossing oceans.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:13   #351
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Yacht type choice - Cultural differences?

QUOTE=Ribbit;2063927]I was beginning to suspect you might have been my cousin (also a cruiser now). [/QUOTE]

If the poor sod looks like me..
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
He has my sympathy..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 15:10   #352
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I rarely imagine an interest in a boat larger than my own quite old & low performance, 41' ketch, but if I allow myself to dream of more modern vessel with impressive performance and all that I would desire in something bigger..... 47'....55', - there's nothing on the market! I would need to gut and redesign the interior of any larger boat than mine that I have ever seen in order to have it offer more.

Every one of these modern sleek big designs has my same layout with maybe one more double berth. I can sleep five in comfort and I'm not looking for more berths. I'm not chartering or in need of a big crew. If I want more, then I can imagine a vessel divided into more usable spaces. Maybe a workshop and a cabin for various other uses,- office, den, chart room or music room. More tankage, a pantry, more storage, a utility room, more engine room space, but NO!

All they offer is more nonfunctional open space; more space to stand in the main cabin, twelve places to sit, an opportunity to walk from the galley to the dinette. If I was bound to the need of open space without function, then I would live in a house.

I can imagine a wonderful, larger, modern design boat, but they're not made in the USA and the're not made in Europe. All I see are vacation condos arranged to entertain an accommodate a crowd of guests!
Old 05-03-2016, 16:51   #353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Go and have a look at the big sailboats that are making the Atlantic loop (look at the ARC for instance) and you will discover many new Oysters, several recent Amel, Discovery, Gunfleet and many big mass production main market sailboats. Those are most brands of big yacht that are doing it.

You will find that there is no difference regarding number of handholds or interior design between the more expensive ones, that are considered great bluewater boats, and the less expensive ones, even if there is probably a quality difference in finish:

But I don't really understand what all this is about since if someone requires more than the handholds that are installed I am quite sure the brand, or the dealer, would be happy to install more for a new owner.

Seaworthiness of the boat and sailability is what cannot be added, in what regards stability and speed and it was in that regard that I said that the Jeanneau 64 was a Prince and quite able to rival with the more expensive of these boats (in speed, stability and seaworthiness) crossing ....
With all due respect I would want to try to make my way forward in any of those interiors and I don't care if people do the ARC with them.

And Hudson Force nails it on what these plans accomplish... party space.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 17:06   #354

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
With all due respect I would want to try to make my way forward in any of those interiors and I don't care if people do the ARC with them.

And Hudson Force nails it on what these plans accomplish... party space.
Sure, I am not "selling" them to you or anybody, just saying that it is what sailors that can afford them and want big sailboats use for sailing extensively even if not on high latitudes. Many of those boats are maximized for small crew sailing and can be sailed by a couple.

Regarding being designed for parties I don't get it. Those interiors are certainly a lot smaller than the ones they have at their house and houses are not designed for parties but to live comfortably.

I understand that some would prefer the interior of an Hudson Force to the ones of those boats even if they don't have much space for a 50fter:

Even if this stairs seems a little dangerous to me in heavy weather.

Some years ago there were so many Oyster owners interested in making a circumnavigation that they organized one only for Oysters, plenty of them. Do you have heard of any other brand doing this?

Sure, all those expensive and big boats are for people that enjoy the good things in live and like to live in spacious spaces, with AC and all the rest. Nothing wrong with that if you can afford it, specially because all those boats are fine sailing boats and fast ones, not only due to size but because they are rather light and beamy, offering a lot of power for the weight.

They also sail with limited heel due to hull form stability and transom shape (the shape of the hull on the rear part of it). Also due to size they are much more comfortable in a sea way than smaller sailboats.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 17:15   #355
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post

Every one of these modern sleek big designs has my same layout with maybe one more double berth. I can sleep five in comfort and I'm not looking for more berths. I'm not chartering or in need of a big crew. If I want more, then I can imagine a vessel divided into more usable spaces. Maybe a workshop and a cabin for various other uses,- office, den, chart room or music room. More tankage, a pantry, more storage, a utility room, more engine room space, but NO!
I agree, no one really makes a good older couples boat!
Old 05-03-2016, 17:22   #356

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I like my dark-wood interior. It's more relaxing and the large windows provide plenty of light.

Old 05-03-2016, 17:27   #357

Quote:
Sure, I am not "selling" them to you or anybody, just saying that it is what sailors that can afford them and want big sailboats use for sailing extensively even if not on high latitudes. Many of those boats are maximized for small crew sailing and can be sailed by a couple.

I understand that some would prefer the interior of an Hudson Force to the ones of those boats even if they don't have much space for a 50fter:

Even if this stairs seems a little dangerous to me in heavy weather.

Some years ago there were so many Oyster owners interested in making a circumnavigation that they organized one only for Oysters, plenty of them. Do you have heard of any other brand doing this?

Sure, all those expensive and big boats are for people that enjoy the good things in live and like to live in spacious spaces, with AC and all the rest. Nothing wrong with that if you can afford it, specially because all those boats are fine sailing boats and fast ones, not only due to size but because they are rather light and beamy, offering a lot of power for the weight.

They also sail with limited heel due to hull form stability and transom shape (the shape of the hull on the rear part of it). Also due to size they are much more comfortable in a sea way than smaller sailboats.
I don't care for these either... to each his own.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 17:31   #358

Boat: H36

Charter boats are what is being built. Light interiors are very nice but need to make a couple of martinis in a breeze and carry them into cockpit.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 18:53   #359

Boat: Beneteau

Anyoneenjoybacking a fullkeel or modified keel into a tight Med mooring. I'd say the lack of control is as good a reason as any for evolution of boat design. My 22 year old Beneteau is a handful at times but my buddies 1925 Elf wooden full keel needs half a mile to turn going ahead. There isn't enough space in Newfoundland to back it up successfully. Probably why it sits on the hard for 8 years while he cruises a fin keeler.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:15   #360

Quote:
I think I'm going to vomit

Tags
enc, yacht