Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 09:57   #151

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Yacht type choice - Cultural differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
By example, the photo shown above would not be called the galley in the US.
Nor anywhere else

I responded to the galley and then said "what I also don't understand" and posted the ... whatever you call that "seating arrangement".

Since the long galley doesn't leave much room for "a settee and party area", neither does this ...
Old 02-03-2016, 09:59   #152
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Yacht type choice - Cultural differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
So much of what we see discussed here is often a case of different connotations of words and not a cultural difference.

By example, the photo shown above would not be called the galley in the US where the galley identifies where food is prepared and the location of the oven, range, refrigerator, freezer, sink and counter top. This dining area with the table would not be considered the galley.

Other terms that are often used quite differently in the US include yacht and captain. These differences are in the use of language and not necessarily in culture.
A lot of the Brit boats had these style of galley/diners.. others an L shaped dining area opposite the galley.. quite a few builders.. Westerly for example gave one a choice off 2 or 3 different layout for the same model.. Centaurs, Longbows, Berwicks etc..
I much prefer the long galley.. small boats <32ft are not exactly Disco areas.. but each to their own..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:59   #153

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I have seen those a few times, but nearly all boats I've ever seen have a L or U shaped galley. Not sure what % of boats have a straight one, but it can't be that many?...
Go with your wife to a boat show that has the same model (till 42ft) with two different galleys and she will tell you why. The straight galley has much more space in a much more functional way and as most boats, even offshore ones, use the galley more times at anchor or at a marina then while sailing upwind that explains why many modern boats (till 43ft) have have a straight one.

After 43/45ft most boats have the interior space needed not to have to maximize galley space that way.

A straight one can have a long bar along it or you can mount a dynema line from side to side and the one that is cooking can clip itself to it, if on the wrong tack and upwind. Also many modern cruisers sail with much less heel than older boats.

I am not saying that I prefer it (even if my wife does) just explaining it why it is the more used now.

This is a modern Contest 42CS, certainly a bluewater boat:

This is a Allures 45, a Voyage boat:

A mass production maim market boat, the Dufour 412:

The Oceanis 38:
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:00   #154

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Nor anywhere else

I responded to the galley and then said "what I also don't understand" and posted the ... whatever you call that "seating arrangement".

Since the long galley doesn't leave much room for "a settee and party area", neither does this ...
"Dinette" is the US term
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:02   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Go with your wife to a boat show that has the same model (till 42ft) with two different galleys and she will tell you why.
I'm a 'she' and I don't get it Wouldn't be my choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
"Dinette" is the US term
Haha, same in Dutch. Doh
Old 02-03-2016, 10:09   #156

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
I'm a 'she' and I don't get it Wouldn't be my choice....
Nice to have more women around but the world is upside down, you are a woman and don't understand while Boatman understands the advantages of a bigger galley on a relatively small boat. I bet he does the cooking on the boat
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:10   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Awwww... don't you call them 'Freedom Fries' anymore..
What freedom?
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:13   #158

Quote:
Nice to have more women around but the world is upside down, you are a woman and don't understand while Boatman understands the advantages of a bigger galley on a relatively small boat. I bet he does the cooking on the boat
Of course he does the cooking...no self respecting woman would be caught dead with him! LOL! [this is meant to be funny, as Boatman will appreciate it if he reads it]
Old 02-03-2016, 10:15   #159
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Oh yes, I am the one American who prefers Bach over Jason Bieber.

S/V B'Shert
Make that two Americans. I love to listen to the Brandenburg Concertos when working on my engine. Kind of a tradition with me. Cheers me up when I'm covered with oil and grease, bleeding from my knuckles and sweat pouring into my eyes. Also the tempo makes me work faster.

By the way, that's Justin not Jason (but I'll bet you said Jason on purpose).

The only reason I know that is because I was in Miami on business when he got busted for racing and wrecking his fancy sports car and was all over the local news.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:16   #160
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Yacht type choice - Cultural differences?

Quote:
Good Cuisine needs elbow room.. those silly little U galleys are only good for student cooking.. Open tin, pour into pan, heat and serve..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:26   #161
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I can see how the galley space would be a choice made differently for some. We prepare simple meals with the least time spent in the galley. As evidence of this, "baking" is not familiar to us. Although we have lived aboard our current boat for 31 years, we have never used the oven, but simply use the space to store some sauce pans.

We feel that places where we spend little time, such as the head and the galley should occupy less of our cabin space.

I've seen "BYOB" on invitations. I suppose that if we were entertaining guests aboard that would be "bring your own bread" or have a cracker!
Old 02-03-2016, 10:45   #162

Boat: a sailing boat

Only an "American" can think that there is any such thing as a "European" culture, style or taste. I know many people out there think Romania is a town in Africa and France is where the best US cheese comes from ...

I am not sure there is such a thing as an "American" culture either. People from Cal are so different from people from North Carolina, they seem to sail different boats too.

There is no such thing as European culture. Nor European cuisine, nor European kitchen, ooooppppssss, galley!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:53   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Only an "American" can think that there is any such thing as a "European" culture, style or taste. I know many people out there think Romania is a town in Africa and France is where the best US cheese comes from ...

I am not sure there is such a thing as an "American" culture either. People from Cal are so different from people from North Carolina, they seem to sail different boats too.

There is no such thing as European culture. Nor European cuisine, nor European kitchen, ooooppppssss, galley!

b.
Honestly? You do not believe that there are differences in taste or style? Why are certain countries [cultures] considered to be leaders in clothing, automobile, boat "style" and as a result are copied or used as a basis for development?

Ferrari? Jaguar? Messerschmit? Mitsubshi? Rolling Stones? Bach?

I do agree somewhat the Americans do not have much of a culture being such a new country...more of a blend of many cultures and styles.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:13   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
Honestly? You do not believe that there are differences in taste or style? Why are certain countries [cultures] considered to be leaders in clothing, automobile, boat "style" and as a result are copied or used as a basis for development?
Of course there are differences ... that is kind of the point.

Americans say "Europeans" as if they're talking about people from one country or, if you will, "The United States of Europe".
Depending on your definition of Europe, it's 40-something to 50-something countries (not all actually located in Europe) -- that in many case have very little in common.

So I agree with barnakiel completely

If we're going to compare "European" culture, please compare it to the Americas, not America ...

(I find it a little offensive, to be honest, but I have somewhat resigned to the fact that a lot of people from across the pond (not just Americans) just don't understand how many totally different counties they're lumping together, stripping them of pretty much *everything* that makes that country what it is and their peoples of who they are in a cultural / historical sense ...).
Old 02-03-2016, 11:19   #165
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I agree with boatman that a straight galley works much better on smaller boats, while bigger ones have L-shaped ones with the long side at least as long as the straight galley in the smaller boats. We have a beam of 16' and I believe it is the minimum for an effective L-shaped galley with enough room opposite for a navstation, head, cabin, etc. The main salon is forward of the galley in those cases.

I like the dinette when it is higher up in a deckhouse with a view around the boat.

The picture of the Contest above shows many good and some not so good things. I like the straight sofa, where one can sleep, as compared to the curved ones that are awful in the next picture. I also like the floor in the Contest and may copy that but look at the sharp corners in the countertop at the sides of the stove... those will hurt you one day! The other picture with the curved sofa... love those drawer type fridge freezers!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, yacht