Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2016, 12:02   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Yacht type choice - Cultural differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
What if you have a fin keel and no wife?
That's when all the Skippers glare at you and mutter..
"Lucky Bastard..!!!

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 12:04   #17

Re: Yacht type choice - Cultural differences?

Maybe it's partly because there seem to be a few of the "old style" builders based in the US, so they advertise in the local magazines and more regularly featured in the articles. Add to that regional availability and plus a bit of "buy American" patriotism, then the builders have a market.

In Europe the builders of the more traditional yachts modernised their range to minimise the potential losses to the mass market boats.

Perhaps Hunter has not created the same level of threat to the traditional builders as Bavaria and group Beneteau have caused in Europe making the US builders and perhaps buyers slower to modernise?

Perhaps if companies like Island Packet modernised their fleet when the Europeans did, then the US boat buying public might have also modernised their taste as well?

A bit chicken or the egg perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-02-2016, 12:08   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 54DS

Cadillac vs Mercedes
Maytag vs Miele
Hoover vs Electrolux
Hunter vs Beneteau
Angelina Jolie vs Monica Bellucci
Long vs Fin keel? Less sure about that one, but certainly, vive la Difference!
Phoenician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 12:26   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenician View Post
Cadillac vs Mini
Maytag vs Miele
Dyson vs Electrolux
Hunter vs Bavaria
Angelina Jolie vs Catherine Zeta Jones
Long vs Fin keel? Both fall over without water, vive la Difference!
That's better..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 29-02-2016, 12:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
What if you have a fin keel and no wife?

First of all, "Europeans" include people from rich countries as well as relatively poor ones. People from all those countries are sailing the seven seas, but usually on very different boats (obviously).

* : My Ohlson has a fin keel, and most sailors I've talked to over the years feel a full keel is the way to go when considering cruising. Not sure if it's just the fin keel or also the fact that very few people have ever even heard of Ohlson before and therefor can't think of any Ohlson doing some serious sailing.
Of course it does. I'm just using the premise that the OP used....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 13:01   #21

Thumbs down Re: Yacht type choice - Cultural differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
It's pretty clear from this forum that those from the US are much more likely to favour an old style longer keel design boat a than someone from Europe or anywhere else.
Sure. That's why conservative European boats like the Rustler 42 or the Vancouver 28 are extremely unpopular on the eastern side of the Atlantic; and why Americans refuse to purchase the various fin-keeled boats made by their own manufacturers like Hunter, Catalina, etc.

I wish people would resist the temptation to make stuff up.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 13:38   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
It's pretty clear from this forum that those from the US are much more likely to favour an old style longer keel design boat a than someone from Europe or anywhere else.

Is it cultural? Local sailing conditions? Fear? Marketing?
Its the obesity epidemic.

MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 13:45   #23

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Where does that leave the North American multihull aficionado? Might as well go "full controversial" now.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 14:08   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I've recently roamed the docks looking at some boats in Spain, Italy, Southern California and always in my own common cruising area on the US East Coast. I can only imagine that people making generalizations that certain boat designs are limited in appeal by culture or geographical area must do all their cruising on their mobile devices instead of their mobile vessels.

To suggest that one culture represents a group that is less adventurous or another more accepting of modern designs is totally unsupported by any numerical data.

Geography and cruising choices can have an effect on design choice. I'm an avid gunkholer in the SE USA and the Bahamas. I can sail all day across the 5 foot flats of the Bayside in the Florida Keys or cross onto Grand Bahama Bank at Indian Cay. Other boats than mine won't give me those passages.

I think it will be a mistake to accept the premise that specific cultures or nationalities have a limited or advanced acceptance of cruising designs. Real world observation does not support this.
Old 29-02-2016, 14:36   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Its the obesity epidemic.

Mmmmmm! ! Your really in the grove today.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 14:38   #26

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Where does that leave the North American multihull aficionado? Might as well go "full controversial" now.
Somebody had to say it.
Old 29-02-2016, 14:44   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Happy the door slides open wide enough to get inside..??

Old 29-02-2016, 15:52   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:

Is it cultural? Local sailing conditions? Fear? Marketing?
It's pretty clear that this original post is an opinion with no support from the data on this forum or real world observation.

The most common sailboats in the US are fin keel boats such as Hunters, Catalinas and Beneteaus that are all made in the US.

The second most common sailboats in the US are those with modified keels having a cut-away forefoot and a space between the aft of the keel and a skeg mounted rudder.

The third most common design in the US is a modified full keel with a cut-away forefoot and the keel contiguous with the rudder like the Island Packets and my own Morgan.

Sailboats with a true full keel, full from the stem to the rudder are almost non-existant in the US. I still see an old Tahiti Ketch sometimes or, more often a Dutch designed full keel boat in the US, but they are rare.

The original premise in this post is not valid. It's pretty much like saying, Why do dog owners not eat green vegetables?
Old 29-02-2016, 16:04   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
The original premise in this post is not valid. It's pretty much like saying, Why do dog owners not eat green vegetables?
Should it not be.. "Why do 'Dog Lovers' feed their dogs processed dried crap..??
Answer.. because its cheaper, quicker, convenient and the poops easier to pick up.. who cares what the dog thinks.. he eats it doesn't he..
So would you if you were hungry enough.

Old 29-02-2016, 17:02   #30

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It's an interesting question, and my gut agrees with the OP. I'm not sure why Europeans lean toward modern designs. Are there more "old school" boats in the US? Is the Pacific crossing often contemplated a reason? Do more Americans actually go? Do more Europeans do the Med or at most cross to the Caribe? Traditionally most who rounded the world and wrote about it used a longer keel type boat. From Slocum to Roth. Do Europeans read different material?
It's hard to ignore the press reports of instances of fin keel problems and spade rudder damage. Are Americans more conservative? Americans probably buy more fin keelers than any group, but don't necessarily go blue water in them. Is that the reason?
Sooo many questions...
I guess the most famous one in Europe is Cornell and his 4 circumnavigations. Yes, his first boat (1st circumnavigation) had a full keel but that was long, long ago. All the others had no full keels and the two last ones were aluminium center boarders and that's what most Europeans chose for circumnavigating, if they can afford them.

In fact Cornell "learned" more than 10 years ago with the French the advantages of that type of boat.

And there is Steve, an American that sailed extensively for many years with a Mason 44 full keeler before changing to a modern European voyage boat the same type Cornell used on the last two circumnavigations and he says that it is incomparably better than the old Morgan, in all aspects ...and for the guys that like full keelers the Morgan is a reference.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, yacht