Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2016, 18:18   #331
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Yacht type choice - Cultural differences?

Well, I like the Apple Mac in the navstation... don't think it's running OpenCPN though

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 18:44   #332

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
I am not sure I understand how these very selective standards of niceness work. It is apparently okay to call the old boat interiors (which many forum members own and love) "cave pubs," "basement pubs," "ugly," "depressing," and any number of other intentionally derogative terms.........but everyone should refrain from saying "Ikea interiors," because it implies cheapness which might hurt somebody's little feelings who owns this style of boat? (By the way.....I own some Ikea furniture and it has served us well for a decade.)
Not me that compared old boats in what regards style with pubs but that comparaison don't seem to me derogative. The quality of a pub interior, in style or materials is not necessarily cheap (contrary to IKEA) and most are very agreable spaces, with good quality furniture and decoration with an almost common denominator to be old styled, wood to be abundant and being rather dark. I think that it was what was meant with the comparison.

Regarding to be a basement pub, well all boats except cats and decksaloons have something of a basement, since you go down to the saloon. Older boats are much worse in what regards that sensation for several reasons: they are heavier and sit deeper on the water, they don't have port hulls that allow an outside view, are much darker due to less illumination (smaller "window" surfaces) and the use of dark woods.

That does not mean that one would not like or even prefer to live on that type of living space. Somebody called that type of space depressing, well, it is depressing for him, not for others the same way that modern spaces are soulless for the ones that qualified it that way, not for most. Just personal opinions as finding any of those spaces ugly.

I did not called ugly to any of the different types of spaces and it was a owner of a boat with an old interior that first called ugly to several modern interiors. Even if I find that someone can have an opinion about that I find that abusive generalizations regarding calling ugly to all (or most) spaces with a given style should be avoided.

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 19:14   #333

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

Chairs on a sailboat? Not practical unless at dock! I've observed occupied chairs fall over in 1000-foot cruse ships.
Old 04-03-2016, 19:23   #334
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Chairs on a sailboat? Not practical unless at dock! I've observed occupied chairs fall over in 1000-foot cruse ships.

Look at the laptop left in the picture to see how stretched/Photoshopped this picture is. The chairs are ludicrous.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 22:21   #335

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Look at the laptop left in the picture to see how stretched/Photoshopped this picture is. The chairs are ludicrous.
The streching is caused due wide angled lens.. Concur about the chairs
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:00   #336
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Is this interior worth $260,000 more than

this?

Both are from 2016 model boats, both are 46 ft.
Pssst! Hoppy.. it is the wine...
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:02   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Yes, no doubt odd. I remember asking some years ago, when they were introduced, to a jeanneau dealer, how that was supposed to work since they are not foldable. I cannot remember the answer so it should have been something I dismissed.

Even having a large contact with the ground and a rubber band that will maintain them secure while the boat heels, they would not be maintained in position in bad weather neither tight upwind with short medium sized waves.

Anyway they are an option and the ones that buy them will not probably be using their boat in bad weather neither close upwind in demanding sea conditions or if they buy them and use the boat on those conditions will probably find out that was not a good idea

Some kind of foldable light easy to store chair would make a lot more sense as an option for that use and they could also be used as deck chairs since some modern designs over 42ft have space for them on the cockpit (at anchor) and they provide a very comfortable seat.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:15   #338

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Ugly interior. Something my grandparents would have liked I expect.

It kind of reminds me of English & Irish pubs that are in in cities around the world. Dark wood interior with poor natural lighting and random items scattered around the room to create the "feel", so depressing.
In the Netherlands we call that look "Bruine Kroeg". After the typical smoke filled dark Dutch Cafe...
As one sailing magazine put it: You wouldn't cover the walls of you house in dark wood. Why do we do this on our boats?

Not my ticket either. I like light interiors. I like big windows. I like to be able to keep in touch with the outside when I am inside. Helps with my sea sickness.

For example, one cruising boat that ticks of a lot of boxes for me is the JPK 38. Or friend Polux has some info on this boat:

Interesting Sailboats: JPK 38FC

Very nice clean interior.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:18   #339
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Yacht type choice - Cultural differences?

Any chance off resizing these pictures before posting.. my 10" screen can only cope with 25% of a post at a time..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:42   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I would say that it will be at least a Prince in what regards passage making.
Prince? Or pauper in regards to passage making? I can't help but notice this interior seems to be a bit lacking when it comes to hand holds.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:53   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
In the Netherlands we call that look "Bruine Kroeg". After the typical smoke filled dark Dutch Cafe...
As one sailing magazine put it: You wouldn't cover the walls of you house in dark wood. Why do we do this on our boats?

Not my ticket either. I like light interiors. I like big windows. I like to be able to keep in touch with the outside when I am inside. Helps with my sea sickness.

For example, one cruising boat that ticks of a lot of boxes for me is the JPK 38. Or friend Polux has some info on this boat:

Interesting Sailboats: JPK 38FC

Very nice clean interior.
Damn, I was objecting the use of the world ugly to describe a style and you had to re-post a post that used that word even if refereed to a particular boat

Let me say that I have nothing against old style interior being them in a boat or in a pub, brewery or café. In fact regarding the last I rather appreciate it, specially when it is really old. When I go to Dusseldorf I pass almost the same time on the boat show and on the oldest city brewery (middle XIX century) that makes its own beer next door (you can look by a window). The beer they make is called alt, that means old and it is not the beer that is old, but the type of beer that comes trough today right from medieval ages and is only made on the region.

But one thing is to enjoy those spaces for a while another thing is to live there. Regarding that I, like most, would like to live on a modern space but If I would own a modern classic boat or a historical boat I would not think of putting in it a modern interior. It would not make sense and i like a lot classic boats and even more recovered traditional boats (owned one) even if I would prefer for sailing and living a fast modern boat.

But that is just me and my personal taste and others would prefer otherwise. However I do find a big difference between an old boat interior and a true classic boat interior.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:43   #342

Boat: H36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Prince? Or pauper in regards to passage making? I can't help but notice this interior seems to be a bit lacking when it comes to hand holds.

Lacking
-Handholds
-Round corners
-Usable tables (when leafs are down)
-Companion ways with no hand rails

This is not a cultural difference. It is a boat designed for show boating at the dock.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:58   #343

This discussion has no rights or wrongs with regard to aesthetics.... seaworthiness yes... if it misses on being a boat you can be safe on / in a seaway... forget it. Who care what it looks like...

There are ways to modernize and "lighten" up a yacht interior without losing its sea worthiness.... AND still have it comfortable and an inviting practical interior.

Just a guess... but probably the deep pockets are fine to be ON the water and not out at sea.... and so sea worthiness goes down the drain... And the builders are fine with these customer$.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:18   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
And.. it sticks to ones skin in warm climes.. and causes zits on ones butt

Your dad wasn't George, your mother wasn't Nancy, you weren't on the Ark Royal, then on the Royal Yacht were you?
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:25   #345
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Yacht type choice - Cultural differences?

No.. Phillip and Joan..
Wakefield, Pellew, Tyne, Aurora and Dainty.. no Airey Fairy duties.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, yacht