Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2014, 10:59   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Would You Cross the Atlantic in Either of These?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
"A Fool and his Life are Soon Parted".

Sub 30 boats should be left in bays or nailed to the coast.

Mark
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:28   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nial View Post
Of these 4 boats I think the Hunter is the best for an ocean voyage as long as the keel bolts and rudder are secure. I'm not a fan of Hunter boats, prefer more solid construction, nevertheless a sound Hunter 27 with an inboard diesel is certainly up to the task.
Your recommendation is totally nuts.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
E or W?

i apologize

b.
And you know dude that Barnakiel was just like trying to offer some good advise because you know like you aren't asking about just sailing across a lake. I mean you are the one that put sailing across the Atlantic into the discussion, know what I'm sayin?

[/QUOTE]

you are right, and the C&C was one of my favorite's as well
blazeit420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:47   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:

Mark
I assume you would not include the Flicka 20, Nor' Sea 27 or Nebe Cabe 28 in that generalization.

At least I would hope you wouldn't. Those are all extremely capable bluewater boats.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:01   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I assume you would not include the Flicka 20, Nor' Sea 27 or Nebe Cabe 28 in that generalization.

At least I would hope you wouldn't. Those are all extremely capable bluewater boats.
Yes! But you aren't speaking of off the shelf boats intended for coastal cruising on the weekend with the family. Nothing wrong with them if used as intended. Hell! owned one, an Oday 27. Ok in 6 to 8s damned if I'd try a transatlantic.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:11   #21

Keep in mind it really has more to do with the sailor..Web Chiles is heading around the world again in a Moore 24.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:19   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:

Mark
That is a totally erroneous and elitist statement. There are many boats below 30' that are designed to be sailed on the ocean. H28 for one, Dana 24, Flicka 20 and the list goes on. One of my boats at the moment is a 20' that was sailed by the original owner from New Zealand to Australia.

Sailing anywhere should not be confined to just those who can afford or want a bigger boat. Neither should it be an exclusive pastime for those who have their larger craft and for them to say that "those "little boat" people should not be allowed to do the same as us". Bad attitude to me.

Coops.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:24   #23

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

This thread got me thinking and my question is: "what is the quantifiable difference between a 25 and 40 foot boat that makes a 40 foot boat more seaworthy than a 25 footer?"

The smaller boat should be stronger. If I have the same hull construction the 25 footer would be stronger because of lower bending and twisting moments. Overall stresses would be less on the 25 footer because the mass is much less. Bulkheads and stringers are closer together. The forces on the rudder, keel, standing and running rigging are less.

In summary, the material scaling makes the 25 footer inherently stronger if approximately the same construction is used.

I argue that a smaller boat is much easier to overbuild. A little extra material is amplified in fractional strength and durability increases when compared to a larger yacht.

Consequently, the 25 footer should be inherently more seaworthy.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:30   #24

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Out of that list I would take the Tanzer

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:45   #25

Well if the scant lings and hull thickness was the same then yes it would be a lot stronger but in the real world it doesn't happen that way. The smaller boat is built a lot lighter and thinner. The real big difference is how a smaller boat reacts to larger seas and clearly there is no way that a smaller boat is as seaworthy BUT that does not mean that a good skipper could not make safe passages because they can and do.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:51   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

So how many of the pro small old boat people on this thread HAVE sailed it across the Atlantic?
Old 11-11-2014, 13:03   #27

Boat: Myra 21 - 1973 - MD2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
No. I'd buy an airline ticket, then purchase a boat when I get over there.
Indeed. I often wonder about this urge with some to cross oceans.
Why not simply fly over, and buy a coastal one locally: much cheaper bottomline compared to a full bluewater one just for 25 days ocean time.
Most passage stories are tales of hardship and terror, never read one regretting their landfall.
Vronsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 13:04   #28

You posted that we should chill because we wanted to know what kind of sailor you are.

When you ask for advice of this sort, by taking you seriously we would want to know in what context.

You can go on U Tube and see Atlantic crossings of lavish porportions in almost dead calm. By reading the weather charts yo will probably have the answer to your question.

If you're sitting around the kitchen table and wondering what it would be like to cross the atlantic in a 27 ft boat, that's fine, too.

By asking on this forum, we would want to know in what context.

You see, one couple tasked this forum for about a year various questions and finally bought a boat, sailed down into the Caribe and the boat sunk, they almost died. All this over a simple question that over 200 sailors responded to with earnest interest to help them.

We're chilled, but not like beer; we're chilled like Chablis.

My answer? I wouldn't venture out of the bay, any bay, in a boat that small; and certainly not a big boat (39- 70 foot) without a furler AND forestay with at least three head sails to choose. Nor, w/o a pair of yard jacks on a gaf rig or for a schooner because the Atlantic can be so calm it'd be great to have those other two, larger top sails so as to turn up and close haul at hull speed.

Or not.
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 13:06   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
So how many of the pro small old boat people on this thread HAVE sailed it across the Atlantic?
Not I. Owned two that came across on their own bottoms, 25 and 31 ft.. It wasn't me. Both tris..
Old 11-11-2014, 13:08   #30

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
My '69 27 foot Albin Vega sailed across the Atlantic in 2008, and then went on to cross the Pacific. This was done by the PO(s), but having refitted it afterwards it was none the worse for wear aside from some minor fibreglass fatigue around the outboard mount (the inboard was removed prior to the trip) and some minor issues with the mast support beam which is a common Vega issue anyway. I'd have no hesitation in taking this make or any other small and proven ocean cruiser out in the big blue. Of course that doesn't mean that I would actually do it, but for those prepared to do so, good luck to them.
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote