Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 16:40   #76

Re: Would You Buy a Boat With Termites ?

Per AQIS

"Initial Pratique Inspection (sailed in vessels only)

Vessels sailed in to Australia, including international and returning Australian vessels, are subject to pratique inspection on arrival. ALL of these vessels are required to meet the same AQIS requirements regardless of origin. A timber pest inspection will be conducted by accredited AQIS Seaports Officers at the time of the initial pratique inspection.
Depending on the results of the documentation assessment and/or the initial pratique inspection, vessels arriving in Australia will be assessed as either low risk or high risk for timber pests.

Vessels arriving without the required documentation and/or vessel history will automatically be regarded as high risk vessels.
Those vessels assessed as representing a low risk will not require a further timber inspection if the vessel is subsequently imported."

I know that the OP has stated that he has decided against the boat for a number of reasons. The only reason why i continue to provided the AQIS requirements is in case any one reads this that is considering importing a boat to Australia. Personaly i hope that heaps of boats are imported as i am in the market to buy a boat. I dont want to discourage people to import boats but belive that they should do so with their eyes open. A boat such as described will run in to major problems.

My personal opinion based on what AQIS is saying that the owner will face at least 2 long inspections and a full treatment to the department requirement. The worst outcome would be inspections at the owners expences with an order to sail the boat out of Australian waters. If the owner was not able to do so then they could order the controled distruction of the boat at the owners expence. I chose to withhold my opinion as to wether this is just or not.
Old 07-03-2012, 17:24   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
Allow me to clarify my post for you. I understood the suggestion of "saving the paperwork" to mean that retaining the paperwork from a termiting just before departure from another location would provide the Austrailian authorities with proof that the boat had been termited and that since the boat had been at sea (as established by the logbook)there would be very little if no chance of any new termite infestation.
I don't know how the agency works so I can't say for sure but it seems possible that this might save the trouble and expense of a full on inspection and fumigation by AQIS.
Okay?
When my boat was inspected, the dog was brought aboard had a little sniff and was not interested. The dog was put on the dock and the handler went below and took a cotton bud from a glass jar and wiped it on the handle on a galley draw. The dog was brought back on board and it was like a different dog it bolted to the galley all excited sat with its noise at the point where the handler swiped the cotton bud and even indicated the direction he had swiped. The Handler told me about a Cat that was in Bundeberg this boat was not an import but a visitor, the boat had passed the initial inspection and was deemed to be low risk. The dog was there to sniff a different boat but would not go past the cat. Termites where found in the wood of the anchor well. I dont know any more but this would have been in 2008.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 17:46   #78

Boat: Traditional 30

This whole thread is making me do that whole Skin Crawl thing (metaphorically). Its easy enough cut out Mites from timber sections . But what about in any possibly laminated areas. Say bulkheads, furnishings, Transom, Engine mount.

Some one else said RUN away! RUN fast.. very Fast. And certainly dont bring it to OZ, AQIS will tear it to pieces at your cost if needed, then it will also be your cost to put it back together again.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 20:18   #79

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Full on examination will take place no matter what,

The rest only happens if they find termites, Irradication processes.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 23:50   #80

Boat: Pearson 281

Plenty of great info. THX ! Here's another consideration maybe...
Since there would be dead termites left in a previously tented boat it seems likely that based on scent that a dog would still act as if the wood was actively infested... any opinions?
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:39   #81
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
Plenty of great info. THX ! Here's another consideration maybe...
Since there would be dead termites left in a previously tented boat it seems likely that based on scent that a dog would still act as if the wood was actively infested... any opinions?
Yep, I have seen this before.

The dog jumps back onto the dock and races off to the nearest park. He/she picks up the nearest stick and comes back to the dock, sits and drops the stick in front of the AQIS officer who proceeds to write his report - "too many termites on board to point a stick at".
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:44   #82
Armchair Bucketeer

The War on Termites is I guess like other Gubberment Wars on Whatever.....the purpose is not to win, but to be self sustaining. and profitable (for those not doing the paying).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 15:32   #83

How do you tell the difference between termites and borer?
Anyone know what AQIS does when they find borer holes?(not live borers)
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 15:59   #84

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Can be a very worrying experience for the owner of the boat,

My borer holes luckily had been stained over when the boat was originally made,

And after very serious consideration, they decided that they were there before manufacturing my boat,

So I passed the AQIS inspection, But I believe I have to take it back in twelve months for a check up, just to be sure, They are dead ones,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote