Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 08:41   #31

Re: Would this make you run away?

From an engineering standpoint, one would think a keel stepped mast would need to be bigger/stronger if anything... due to the longer a beam in compression is the slenderness ratio effects it ability support load. ie:The longer the unsupported beam, the more likely to collapse under compressive load. But then, wedges fix it at the partners so that would effect it in a positive manner.

I used the Spartite product on one of my boats. It's urethane. Just mix it (2 parts) Just like the amber/clear urethane used for cheap anchor rollers. Urethane is available in various durometers or hardness. It can be very hard or quite soft.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:47   #32

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Lots of good posts, uncivilized says it best..... I'm not a naval architect or builder so the question I have is whether the cabin deck is actually much of an "architectural" part of the rigging. There must be something to that but the deck top has to be reinforced and designed for that role - yes? A mast can put huge loads at that point I would think. Seems like you would tune the rig without the wedges and then use the wedges to help fix the mast a bit to prevent excessive movement at the deck penetration, and to seal the hole. If the mast could work itself too much there you would have bloody hell to seal it. I wouldn't think you would drive in wedges there "against" the rigging to "tune" the rig. But that may be just my ignorance on the subject.

If it were me the setup wouldn't keep me from buying the boat by itself. But if I were concerned I would hire a rigger for an hour to give an expert opinion. Whether it was best practice or not it would be fixable in any case.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:53   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Be very careful with Spartite. If done badly it can end in tears. I've seen a 80' dutch built ketch being lifted by her mast because the Spartite remained resolutely stuck to the mast partners. Took the riggers two days of drilling the stuff out before they could unstep the badly chewed up mast.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:41   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Inside wedges allow them to drop inside so you do not lose them. If outside, in a seaway they can come loose and fall overboard. Had that happen in an old Friendship sloop.

You are correct about the philosophy of doing away with them. In olden days with all rope rigging, a wedged mast gave it more stability. Nowadays with wire rigging, not really needed. And may be better given the light construction of most doghouses nowadays.
I wonder how you were sailing without a mast boot on a Friendship sloop? Mast wedges are typically inside the mast boot where they're not seen. The photo doesn't show a boot but there's one to come, this is just a pic of the wedges. It is true that wedges can work their way upwards into the boot if the mast is pumping as it might be, for example, if the fore-and-aft staying of the mast is not sufficiently tight. They'll be kept from falling overboard by the boot though.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:13   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
I wonder how you were sailing without a mast boot on a Friendship sloop? Mast wedges are typically inside the mast boot where they're not seen. The photo doesn't show a boot but there's one to come, this is just a pic of the wedges. It is true that wedges can work their way upwards into the boot if the mast is pumping as it might be, for example, if the fore-and-aft staying of the mast is not sufficiently tight. They'll be kept from falling overboard by the boot though.
Yeah, didn't get that either.
Sestina re: Spartite, you need to use a release agent when you put it in! Wax works.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote