Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2015, 09:24   #16

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch
Re: World cruising boat for a couple, 2 dogs under 180k USD?

Amel. Built for it.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 10:23   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

We have a 45' for sail that has two cabins, one head and has experience by sailing from Vancouver, Canada to Southeast Asia where it presently is.
Dogs are not a problem other than getting them to shore and back and the boat has a large dinghy for that.
It is in good shape and priced considerably under the budget you have mentioned. It is presently on the hard in Thailand and I will be back on board in two weeks moving it down to Langkawi, Malaysia which is duty free.
You can personal message me for more details.
Cliff
Canuck Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 10:23   #18

There is a "Valiant 47" for sale on Yachtworld that ticks all your buttons. It has been made new again (according to the ad) but among other things it has a brand new Beta Diesel. All this in your price range. Check it out. And good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
gaspass3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 10:39   #19

The world is full of capable boats which match your criteria. Personally, I would consider a used boat instead of a new one. If you are really serious, take some of the advice above. I see you have done so already and now, check out some of the design criteria, sloop, cutter, ketch etc.
Larger boats usually have more cabins. I used to own a two cabin Gulfstar 50. World cruising capable. older boat, it was superb as a live aboard and also I cruised the Carribean, but heard of others crossing the Pacific in that model. I currently own a 1977 Two cabin Nautor Swan 43 Motor sailor, hull number 007 for Bond fans. Due to health reasons I am selling it. While I would love to sell it to you and it would meet your criteria, I am not recommending but just pointing out what is available. An amazing buy is the Le Compte Fastnet 45- right size, great handling and capable boat, but again, older. Few are available, the best buy is in Washington state due to condition. Another one is in Oregon, mechanically excellent, cosmetically needs quite a bit.
But boats of these capabilities are worldwide. Each I mentioned is capable, comfortable and well within your budget. They are only a small sample of the amazing cruising boats available. The only thing is if you buy an older boat, also hire a highly capable surveyor and do not only the usual, but mechanical and electrical surveys.
Lastly, enjoy the world. Bring enough spares and get some advice on which will help. Read books by cruisers, from the Pardees to the Dashews and others. The best advice is to learn from the successes and failures of those who sailed before you. Do not try to learn from your personal experience alone, which I guess is why you posted your question in the first place.
Remember,if you get 15 cruisers in a room, you will have 20 opinions.
stevebein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 11:33   #20

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

One word- Catamaran.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 11:34   #21

Boat: Only dreams so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
One word- Catamaran.
Flame bait?
Nellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 11:49   #22

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellos View Post
Yep, title says it all.
I'm still dreaming... but I've started planning! I've been asking around a lot about boats and I'm starting to zeroing in more and more around what I'm looking for and what's reasonable.

I'd greatly appreciate any tips experienced recommendations about boats under 180 000 USD suitable for a long world circumnavigation.

As I've searched on yachtworld until my fingers started to bleed I've learned the following:
  • NO CHARTER
  • no wood
  • no steel
  • Few people, but big; meaning I don't want to rent cabins for crew. This is for me and my girl and our dogs. So a handful of toilets and a bunch of cabins is useless. Sure we'll have visitors but I won't chose the boat based on the odd visit. 4-6 cabins and 4-6 toilets is just a waste of space for us.

Honestly, the perfect boat for us would be 50+ feet long, 1 master bedroom, 1 double bed cabin, 1 toilet, (pretty fast boat if possible but not important) - that's it. (and fit for long voyages obviously)

So in my searches I've found the following pattern but please let me know what you think about it;

I think it feels like that for about 80k USD - 120k USD can get 50 feet if you are not too picky.
The cheapest appears to be the boats
Bavaria 50 e.g. However heard that they are a low budget and poor quality. True?

Beneteau Oceanis 500. Too many cabins and 4 (!) Toilets.

Beneteau Cyclades. Apparently built mainly for charter so exactly the opposite of what I'm after.

Beneteau First seems more in my direction. But can't find that many out for sale .
Here is an example. Only three cabins and two toilets but still 53 feet: 1992 Beneteau First 53 F5 Segel Båtar till salu - se.yachtworld.com
On Beneteaus website, they no longer list the 53fot-size, only much smaller. Should I be worried about it?

Macgregor 65 - large and fast boat, right? But is it good? There is no other such long boat around 120k USD so I become suspicious ...

See a lot of Jeanneau Sun Odyssey and Dufour - what about them?

See also some Atlantic 50ish but rarely or never (!) Pictures of and inside the boat. That makes me suspicious. Experiences?

The next level is at 155k USD when it starts to open up a bit more interesting models that match my search but also other brands I do not know starts to pop up such as Elan, Wauquiez, Malcolm, Hako, Andrews, Bruce Roberts, Bay Class, Amel, Passport, Colvic, Tayana, Hanse, etc.
Any of them good?

Then it just gets more and more exciting the closer to 350k USD I get but I'm not there yet

But the budget's not set in stone. If everyone here would answer this to my perfect boat costs 215k USD so I guess I'll save some more ...

Pure comfort wise I'm actually very interested catamaran sail boats. They seem unbeatable. Gladly accept tips of those as well.
However, no trimaran racer thanks.
Nellos, welcome to CF. there is so much for a newbie to absorb and be exposed to. Take heart, friend, all of us on here were in your spot at one time or not far ahead of you. U have the right attitude so I just want to give u a couple of principles to help guide you if I might be allowed to do so.

You are literally a clean slate right now. Many very experienced people on here will tell u what will work. They can be absolutely 100 percent correct and u would save a lot of time and money doing exactly what they say. But it comes down to free agency and your right to make mistakes. The choices that you make you have to live with. You paid for that opportunity so make sure you don't do something foolish.

First of all, God loves irony that is why he created a forum and put monohull sailors together with multihull sailors. I think it is an endless sense of entertainment for him. So keep that in mind when reading posts.

Boats are like women. Some men never will date an Asian or a red head. Some men like highly intelligent women. Some men like women with big ....well u get the idea ! Since u have no experience this is the first and most complex issue for u to understand . U don't know shizzle and so that is where u begin. Sweden is a country of high latitude with long dark winters. Don't rush to do anything like make a decision to marry the girl at the college dance because she is a good salsa dancer. You need experience ... Actually a fair amount of it before laying your money down. During the sailing season in Sweden you can crew in regattas, sailing clubs always have mid week beer can races in California. I am sure your country does to. Take certification classes in warmer countries. Go to the local yacht clubs and talk to boat owners about their boats. Offer to help them do work for some sailing time. I got plenty of rides like this when I was in my 30's. There are endless ways to get sea miles. Latitude 49, a Northern California sailing mag is always looking for crew. ARC boats crossing the Atlantic around late November every year always looking for crews to help go to the Carib.

The second thing is this. You are in a relationship with a partner. She will look at it a little differently than u will. Women have different needs then men for personal hygiene, showers, sleep, on and on. If you can please her and she is just as invested in this as you... Man U have the world by the tail. I have a friend who pushed his woman too hard and took her out on San Francisco Bay on a rough day. She got violently seasick and swore she will never sail with him again. It was on a trimaran and since u don't know it yet.... That is one of the boats u have least amount of seasick people on. Be careful and nurture her along very carefully.

The three motions of a boat are very important for you to learn early. The three axis are pitch, yaw, and roll. Different boats handle those axis in different ways. You can watch YouTube and see the forces of wind, wave, and current affect different boats in different ways. As a boat climbs a wave that is pitch. As the boat slides down the wave and rolls from side to side that is pitch and roll. Rolling really messes me up. As the boat slides down the back of that wave and rolls while it yaws ( nose of the boat slides off course you have just the beginning of an idea what I am talking about. Watch you tube and see medium size boats 40ish footers monohull rolling, yawing, and pitching.

Sea keeping properties of any boat are heavily influenced by length of boat, shape of hull, ballast, appendages like skegs, forefoots, and only about s thousand more things. Smile.

The third thing is you choose a boat for the style of work the boat will be used for. You wouldn't choose a 40 thousand heavy displacement cruiser with a 10 foot draft for sailing in the Caribbean. You wouldn't choose a 27 foot Ian Farrier trimaran for sailing from New York to Iceland. You must not be seduced by either camp of mono or multihull sailors until you know what works for you and her. I am an ex racer. I am also more minimalistic then most. So I have my predilection for fast cats and trimarans. But if I was rounding the great Capes I would need a very large vessel with crew to do it in my choice. Many single handed sailors would choose a moderate to heavy displacement vessel for that type of work.... Like a Hans Chrisitian. So, my friend... Everything is a compromise when choosing a boat. My wife wouldn't last 10 minutes in a real seaway on a boat that rolls like hell. You will need to get experience with boats to know what works.

There are medicines available that can almost completely stop that problem so be aware of that help.

Spreadsheet choices when u get closer to choosing. Give yourself several years of intensive study, observation, on hands experience, and long honest conversations with your sweetheart. Be patient and understanding with her. She will deeply respect it if you don't shove it down her throat. You will know in time what she wants.

It is an exciting time for the two of you. Jump in and get wet... Waters fine !!!
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 16:02   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

Tonga?

Why would they eat the dogs in Tonga?

Mormons eat dogs?

We visited Tonga and ate there. I believed that was corned beef, fish, etc. Now you got me second thinking.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 16:21   #24

Boat: NeptunusMV 70

May I suggest an Island Packet 40. My wife and I crossed the Atlantic and spent 3 years cruising. Its almost Idiot proof.
hessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 08:13   #25

Boat: Hunter 36

How big are the dogs? What breeds? If the dogs are really large, I think you will be miserable and they will be miserable, even with a 50' boat. And I highly recommend two heads. You need one as a backup. Someone gave me good advice: having to fix a broken toilet while underway is the worst job ever! If you were alone you might be OK with using a bucket, but I doubt your wife will...
Rohan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 10:48   #26

Boat: Only dreams so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
How big are the dogs? What breeds?
The dogs are Finnish Lappdogs. 7 and 1 years old.
Here's a pic: https://instagram.com/p/7xOnaSPq6I/?taken-by=tsollen
They are smaller than they seem because of all the fur. The fur actually insulates against both cold and heat, to a degree of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
And I highly recommend two heads. You need one as a backup.
Yes I agree completely. I just think more than two toilets would be unnecessary.
Nellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 16:27   #27
cruiser

With your budget, you should do your shopping at the Hinckley yacht brokerage. My recommendation would be a Block Island 40 plenty large enough for a couple and two dogs. You could have the yard do any refitting and set out with confidence in your vessel and probably some money still in your pocket.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 18:05   #28

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Nellos, don't forget the open mind thing. You need to get on a trimaran and a Catamaran with your fair lady before signing up for a mono. Then start to winnow down what works the best for you and her. It is way too soon to be entertaining an idea which boat to choose yet. Stay the course, damn the torpedos, full speed ahead! pip pip...and all that rot...smile.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 20:43   #29

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

50' is a HUGE boat, even for a couple with loads of experience, & who are in tip top shape, with years to decades of sailing experience.
I'm not trying to discourage you, but such is just fact. And I've singlehanded boats in that size range, & a touch bigger, in addition to skippering things into the Maxi range.
And singlehanding is essentially what you'll be doing much of the time. So I'm not just doling out information which I picked up somewhere.

I'd suggest doing some serious reading on www.BethandEvans.com They did several trips around the globe on 2 different boats. First, a 37'er, & then a custom 47'er. And are prominently known for their wisdom, & their sharing of same.

That said, were it me with that budget, I'd chose something custom/semi-custom about 40' long. Say, a Kurt Hughes designed catamaran, or a cat or tri from John Shuttleworth. And keep them light, so as to be able to excercise their attributes.
Or, in a "lead mine", one of the above mentioned "tuned" (custom/semi-custom) cruisers.

The catch with having something custom built, or customized, is that one needs a good experience base (sailing wise), in order to really know what they want, & why. And also what they plan to do with the boat, so as to skew her DNA towards optimization for that kind of sailing.
These things, in addition to being able to well communicate the same to both the designers, & the build team.

If you want to get something with a lot of features which most folks don't even know that they need, or exist, you could go with something like this. 2001 Hunter HC50 Hunter's Child 50 sailboat for sale in Florida
If you do some reading into the back story behind her, you'll find it quite intriguing.

And another vessel of distinction is Riptide 55
She, & her smaller sisters, have a good bit of thought put into them.

PS: The budget for upkeep, toys, & consumables on something this size is staggering.
And if you want a bit more insight into some of the scary side of handling big boats, have a read into how Dominique Wavre & Michele Paret handle ones just a touch bigger than you're thinking http://www.dominiquewavre.com/en/
http://www.barcelonaworldrace.org/en
There's Definitely a learning curve, & with bigger boats, it gets geometrically steeper as they grow in size.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 00:25   #30

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
50' is a HUGE boat, even for a couple with loads of experience, & who are in tip top shape, with years to decades of sailing experience.

There's Definitely a learning curve, & with bigger boats, it gets geometrically steeper as they grow in size.
Very wise words, that you would do well to listen to. As someone wonce said, "The bigger the boat - the more comfort, but the bigger the boat the bigger the knocks you get when it all goes south"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, dogs