Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 14:38   #16

OK so here's what I'm getting:

1) Maintenance -- I'm getting some saying it's more upkeep, some saying it's less. This is really the crux of the issue for me, and I appreciate the feedback, especially those saying it is easy to maintain. How often do you refinish the wood interior of your boat? How much work is it? What do you need to do to non-wood surfaces, and how often? Ultimately I care much more about a boat that is easier to maintain than one that looks better in the boat show.

2) Style, lots of people saying wood is more homey. But, do a google image search for "home interior" you'll see houses with wood trim and wood "soles" but rarely wood "bulkheads" or wood "cabin tops." So unless you grew up in a log cabin, I reject that this is actually "homey"... just "boaty." As for the chlorox bottle, walk into any new home or condo, chances are excellent you'll see white ceilings and white walls. People like this in their homes, not their boats. I'm not arguing for the utter absence of wood -- wood trim is beautiful in both homes and boats -- but I am wondering why it is so hard to find a boat that uses wood trim in the same bright, tasteful and reserved way that you'll see in your terrestrial home.

4) Weight -- I stand corrected on strength/weight -- although I think it's a bit beside the point. The boat's hull is already there, and a lot of the wood and liners that get added isn't there for structural or functional reasons. Also, while solid fiberglass arguably loses to wood on strength to weight ratio, cored fiberglass wins hands down.

Thanks for the discussion and feedback. I really do appreciate it.

Martin
Sparohok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 14:44   #17

I don't know how people live with such hideous wooden interiors.
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 14:57   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
now THAT's funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparohok View Post
I don't want to limit my choices to Hanse or Aerodyne or J/Boats just because of what feels suspicously like a prejudice of mine.
Martin
First time I went below on a Hanse I found myself wondering, "Why would anyone ever buy a boat with an interior like this?"
Old 06-08-2009, 15:17   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
How often do you refinish the wood interior of your boat?
Mine was built in 1991. I wouldn't think about it now. Boats from 1985 still look as good. It's all solid mahogany. It's a matter of quality as much as being wood. I know it's dark but our plan is open and has lots of light. I know Formica interiors in boats a bit older and they look like less than they used to be. Formica after 20 years isn't so nice to look at. Plastic always look worse for wear.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 15:43   #20

Boat: O'day 322 "Southern Comfort"

Is it me or do I smell bleach?

Mine isn't too heavy on the wood. I will customize to add more in the future though.
SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 15:55   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
First time I went below on a Hanse I found myself wondering, "Why would anyone ever buy a boat with an interior like this?"

+1 on that. My wife and I thought "IKEA on water" when we looked at a Hanse. Or like the bland and sterile hospital white kitchen and bathroom cabinetry (GAG!) that's just the rage at the moment among our urban friends.

Give us wood and plenty of it. Wood has character and is just plain beautiful to behold. No one does a better job at art than nature.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 17:06   #22

Wood! Forget it...I'll take Ikea any day.
I'm starting to wonder if the original post was a joke.

Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 17:29   #23

Boat: O'day 322 "Southern Comfort"
That is a very nice interior Efraim. The floors look really nice. The woodwork looks first rate.
SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 17:42   #24

Efraim

Gorgeous! That boat don't look used. Get out an pound the waves.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 18:09   #25

·Wood is warm
·Wood doesn’t sweat
·Wood is tasteful
·Wood takes craftsmanship, not a mold
·Interior wood takes very little maintenance (as opposed to exterior wood)
·A wood interior looks like a boat, not a camper
·Wood is not “slick”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	460.3 KB
ID:	9223  
SeattleBaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 18:20   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Martin,
I am surprised you have not seen wood interiors made of maple or birch or other light colored woods. They are both beautiful and light and most importantly makes it look like a cave man does not live down there.

I am like you, I do not like dark interiors at all. To me they are depressing and make me feel like I am locked inside an old dark armoire. I think the best compromise for you might be some lighter colored woods with some bulkheads painted white or an off white.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 18:26   #27

Here's the irony folks... Efriam's boat, which is indeed beautiful, is making my point for me. It has far less exposed wood, and a far brighter interior, than the average cruiser in your marina. Bulkheads -- white. Cabinet sides -- white. Framing -- white. Even some of the drawer and cabinet fronts are white. In terms of craftsmanship (and cost) it is clearly a cut above, but in terms of appearance it has no more exposed wood than a typical Hanse 370. If the consensus on sailboat interiors went along those lines, I would never have started this thread.

Efriam -- I'm curious. Are all those white surfaces painted wood, or something else?

Martin
Old 06-08-2009, 18:34   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I think the best compromise for you might be some lighter colored woods with some bulkheads painted white or an off white.
I agree, unfortunately on the used market that is hard to find. I am not in the money for a custom boat!

Painting bulkheads sounds like a good step to lighten up a dark boat though. What surface prep and paint would you use?

Thanks,
Martin
Old 06-08-2009, 18:40   #29

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparohok View Post
So please help me -- explain to me why I am wrong and why it is correct for boat interiors to be made of wood.
It's not

Shiny white hose out and strategic timber trim for me.

Quote:
Or is this really just some crazy self perpetuating tradition that is making everyone's life miserable for no good reason?
Yes.
Old 06-08-2009, 18:43   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I would sand and fill with a sandable epoxy filler then use an oil based marine grade flat or semigloss finish. I prefer Interlux for interior paint. You will need to use a primer suitable to the finish coat.

I wish I had a photo of my interior. It is mostly white bulkheads with teak trim. It is very bright below deck plus it looks very traditional. Its nowhere near a bleach bottle interior. Its a Sparkman & Stephens design made to look like a lobster boat, so don't anyone tell me that bright below deck is not traditional.

Edit, at the Annapolis boat show I noticed how the Alerion interiors look a lot like my interior. So here are some pictures...

The only difference is I do not have teak decks or teak counters.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote